Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sniper Elite Sequel Announced

Options
  • 06-04-2011 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭

I was a big fan of the original on the PC back in 2005. It was far from the the perfect game, had plenty of issues, poor controls, & it felt very consolized compared to PC only games.
    That said, what it did well, it did very well, and the realistic sniping & multiplayer matches were great.

Was wishing for a sequel that fixes up and improves upon the original, and now a sequel in on the way, hopefully it will be the perfect sniper game. One can only hope.

Full scant details here on X360A

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The first was underappreciated fun, it'd also be nice to see Rebellion bounce back after AvP flopped.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

CKWPORT wrote: »
    hopefully it will be the perfect sniper game. One can only hope.

16 players sitting in bushes for hours waiting for someone else to move...sounds fantastic :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

well thats doesn't sound good.
    And thats not the way it was in the day, it was actually quite good, believe it or not, certainly it is not everyones cup of tea!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I love that game and still play it. It had one of the longest single-player campaigns that I've ever encountered and could be very unforgiving at times. The satisfaction of getting a headshot at 200 metres was something else.

The AI wasn't bad either. I think some people saw it as too good because sometimes the baddies could see you too easily. I'm not sure I agree. I know it was a pain getting shot from a distance by an automatic weapon but it just made the game more tense. Their dialogue could be improved, though.

If this comes out, there are a few improvements I'd like to see:

1. An FPS-stype aiming system for the secondary weapons. The automatic weapons felt crap in the original. I know they weren't meant to be used a lot but still, a COD of BF style of aiming those would be nice.

2. Suppressors for the sniper rifles. The Stealth Profile cheat was cool in the original. You could pick people off without them knowing where you were. It would be a great addition to a sequel.

3. More varied environments. Most of the action took place in the same type of bombed-out urban environment. Some jungles, snow and deserts would be nice.

That's all I can think of for now. I really look forward to seeing what this game will be like. Not other sniping game has come close*.

*If anyone knows a similar game, let me know and I'll give it a try. It has to ba a sniping-for-the-whole-game kind of game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Brilliant news, although I'm wary that they'll be tempted to compromise it for mass appeal. Now if I could only get a new Hidden & Dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I loved the original. It was really like the Hitman series in that if things didn't work out perfectly for me, I'd restart the level and not grumble about it at all. I'm probably being too negative, but I can't help but fear that they'll turn it into a generic shooter, for mass appeal. Then again, it's a small studio, so hopefully won't have to go the "money grubbing bastard" route that major studios feel the need to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Picked it up during the christmas sales for the grand total of €1. I enjoyed my short time with it, mind you. controls annoyed me to no end. I'd be interested in seeing more of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lazy76

Really looking forward to this as i loved the original, both on single player and online, a nice alternative to the repetitive quick scoping COD gameplay, just hope they do it well with a nice balance of gameplay and tension.

http://www.rebellion.co.uk/

Trailer out.

Link cause I can't open youtube to embed it properly at work.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Holy sh*tballs, Sniper Elite. I loved this game! Was one of the first games I played online ever, along with Resident Evil Outbreak, back on the ole ps2 gaming servers. Happy happy joy joy!

Loving the Mortal Kombat x-ray sniper action, feckin' glorious... and the music sounds like it's remaining with the same theme as the last game... the big THUMP at the end of the trailer sent memory shivers down my spine. Even tho it could be crap as piss, I'm still hyped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

saw the first one in gamestop today for a tenner, tempted to get it now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

The co-op was great, if I recall rightly.

skelliser wrote: »
    saw the first one in gamestop today for a tenner, tempted to get it now
    I got mine on Steam for €1 in the sales. I'm sure it'll be reduced soon enough if you're interested in getting it on the PC, but you could be waiting a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I'm getting excited now. The first game was great. It was so satisfying to get those distant headshots.

They don't need to make too many changes to the original for the sequel to be great. Update the graphics and effects, improve the player's movement and improve the enemy AI. Create a long single-player campaign as before and the game will be great.

I'm surprised that there aren't more games around like it. The premise is simple and popular enough to justify a few clones. It's odd as well that no sniping game ever really came close.

& the link to it in case I messed up, embedding it can't see it properly at work with half the net blocked. :pac:

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    & the link to it in case I messed up, embedding it can't see it properly at work with half the net blocked. :pac:
    Looks great. I do hope they impliment some stealth aspects into the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

i just pre ordered SE: V2 on play.com there comes with bonus DLC, just taking a chance on this. i never played the first one but from trailers and gameplay footage i have seen on youtube it looks great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

Demo details: Xbox 360 demo will release first on Tuesday April 10, with the PlayStation 3 demo following a day later on Wednesday 11th.
    can't wait for it

Advertisement