Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 * Potato Barrels Ordered.

Options
  • 06-04-2011 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

We are just about to start growing our own. I will have scaffolding planks tomorrow evening and should have my raised beds in over the weekend. We are going to start this year with what we consider easy - lettuce, spring onion & beetroot.

I have just ordered 2 potato barrels. But I have no idea what variety of potato I should be planting at this time of year. We eat a lot of salads & potato salad would be very nice.

Can anyone recommend a nice variety of potato, for the novice grower?

Rgds,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

british queen is a very nice floury second early potato. ( would also be appropriate in the year thats in it):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

I like Orla or Ciara as an early, but a lot of salad people like fir apple.
    Use one barrel for earlies, the other for maincrop I guess.

As a main crop I'd recommend Setanta or one of the new Spiro types that are said to be blight resistant.
    I'd still keep an eye http://gardenplansireland.com/forum/ on the right hand panel for their blight warning service though.

Personally, I would have gone to a tyre centre and asked them for/ blagged some old tyres rather than shell out on the barrel, but if you want to expand, then tyres are an option in the future.
    I'm doing a tyre stack for Oca this year in the hope that the heat and height gives bigger tubers and a heavier crop

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Thank you both very much for your suggestions.

I had read about using tyres but I knew I would not be allowed to construct something like this in the garden. But when I had wife & kids talked into growing our own, I had to strike while the iron was still hot, and order in the barrels. Family momentum is important in this project.

Thank you again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

I grew Maris Piper last year and they turned out quite well.

Went for Sharpes Express and British Queen this year for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Thanks Skywalker.

It's interesting that both you & Shawnee mentioned British Queens. They will go into one of the barrels.

Rgds,

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I grew Maris Piper last year and they turned out quite well.

Went for Sharpes Express and British Queen this year for a change.

Cant go wrong with Sharpes express

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

My mistake on the fir apple, apparently the French salad potato is Ratte, the other one I was thinking of is an English salad type - pink fir apple

Advertisement