Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want one.

Options
  • 06-04-2011 3:37pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Have been looking at getting myself another shotgun and i want a semi auto again after owning a Beretta 391 with the blue "teardrop". She was the sporter model and an absolute gem of a gun.

I got my monthly newsletter from Beretta with their new range of semi autos and in it has the new line of A400 Xplor. This is the one that caught my eye for no other reasons than its Beretta and has fancy gadgets. Two things big boys cannot pass up on.

Beretta A400 Xplor Action.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT6efEZUh2fQ8xyJCnodwA0XRkb68R32RnxxWM4HpV-mJtZoyi9OQ

Just waiting on a call from Ardee Sports as to expected/current RRP, and if its available or when.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Please tell me your secret to an unending supply of money!

Dealers will not like a gun that says how many rounds have gone through it :eek:

"Hasn't fired a box of cartridges since new" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭leupold90

I was looking at one yesterday with a 26" barrel and it had the kickoff. Sweet gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Ezridax wrote: »
    Have been looking at getting myself another shotgun and i want a semi auto again after owning a Beretta 391 with the blue "teardrop". She was the sporter model and an absolute gem of a gun.

I got my monthly newsletter from Beretta with their new range of semi autos and in it has the new line of A400 Xplor. This is the one that caught my eye for no other reasons than its Beretta and has fancy gadgets. Two things big boys cannot pass up on.

Beretta A400 Xplor Action.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT6efEZUh2fQ8xyJCnodwA0XRkb68R32RnxxWM4HpV-mJtZoyi9OQ

Just waiting on a call from Ardee Sports as to expected/current RRP, and if its available or when.
    Please tell me your secret to an unending supply of money!

Dealers will not like a gun that says how many rounds have gone through it :eek:

"Hasn't fired a box of cartridges since new" :rolleyes:

Maybe he sold his pimp wheels for his jeep. I don't recall seeing them at the last S.T.A.G :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Xplor.er

hey ezridax i got one in january for €1500 with the kick off:D. i got it from malcolm graham in monaghan.
    all i can say is that they are a deadly gun and i would highly recomend it.

just to let you know i got that at a special price. he can get more in but they will be around €2200

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Xplor.er wrote: »
    .........i got that at a special price......

Don't you mean the proper price not the inflated "Celtic Tiger" prices we have been paying :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Xplor.er

Don't you mean the proper price not the inflated "Celtic Tiger" prices we have been paying :P

:P:D:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

In fairness the counter on the underside would be "redundant" within a week or two as you get bored of it.

Still like the gun itself. Really want another semi auto, and was dead set on the 391 Stonecoat, but i've only held one of the A400's and as usula it fitted me perfectly. Will wait and see the price difference beyween them and the 391's. That'll make my mind up quicker than most things.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Nice to see more tech being used in firearms like this. I'm still waiting for the day we have cameras on shotguns to catch clay pigeon shoots on video and automatically upload them to youtube, or targets for rifle and pistol that tweet scores or upload group pictures to facebook in realtime, but this sort of thing is a nice step in that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

Waste of money in my eyes, just another thing that can go wrong, granted it is beretta so it will be well built i just dont see any need for it, i'd prefer the lightweight model myself

You got airbags in your car ormond? :D

• Advertisement

Airbags save lives a shot counter and temerature gauge dont, i'd be interested in a small camera that could be fitted to a shotgun or rifle scope as it would help you if you missed but i dont see the point of this, and how much extra does it cost does anybody know

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The reason i don't mind stuff like this on a firearm is it is what i would class as "non-intrusive". Meaning the gun works with or without the "gadget" working. You can choose to use it or not.

This could be the start of new technology, and i don't understand peoples complete objection to it. So some do not agree, like or understand the need for a counter/gauge on the gun, and thats fine. However they would like to see a camera or other feature on it. So because some features are not to somes likings/use does not mean others would not like or have use for it. I mean i'm sure some lad at Beretta didn't wake up one morning and decide to charge a few hundred extra for a "clock" on the gun. I'm sure they done some sort of market research to see it such a feature would add to the guns ability to sell, not hinder it.

This is how these things progress. Give it time. Eventaully youtube will be flooded with videos titled "The adventures of .................... ".:)

ormondprop wrote: »
    Airbags save lives
    If your philosophy is "that's just one more thing to go wrong", then what that thing actually does doesn't matter much...
    a shot counter and temerature gauge dont
    ...but remind me what part of a shotgun saves lives again?
    i'd be interested in a small camera that could be fitted to a shotgun or rifle scope as it would help you if you missed but i dont see the point of this, and how much extra does it cost does anybody know
    What's the point of 140 character messages? SMS text messages initially had no applications whatsoever beyond sending technical messages - not human readable ones - between machines in telephone exchanges. SMS is now the most lucrative part of a multi-trillion-euro-per-year industry, and Twitter (the internet's SMS) is one of the most heavily used forms of social media on the internet and has done everything from letting us watch Charlie Sheen go insane in realtime to warning people about earthquakes and tsunamis to organising revolutions in a half-dozen middle eastern countries in the last few weeks. Facebook is valued in the billions, blogs and other online media are actually causing large numbers of newspapers to fold up (and have already effectively killed off magazines) - hell, go buy a can of beans and look at it. There'll be a webpage address on the label.

Seriously, ask "why not?", not "why?".

But if you want a "why?", here's one - the last time I looked, the average age in this sport was in the 50s and climbing. And every time I see a college graduate who spent four years with UCDRC or DURC (or a pony club junior or any other junior for that matter) looking at our sports, I get the distinct impression that the vast majority of them are not filled with enthusiasm for buying all the kit and going through all the hassle with licencing and installing safes and so on, all just to hang out with old men, usually in places we'd forbid children playing in for fear of tetanus or worse, drinking weak tea with gone-off milk and chatting about how great people were at shooting in the old days...

And you can't say that we don't want people who don't like the status quo, because we need them far, far more than they need us.

People think the DoJ wants to destroy our sport? Feck that. The DoJ knows a job that'll do itself when it sees one. If we leave things the way they are now, the current generation will die out or give up in a decade or two and the next generation will be half their size or less. Pretty much anything that increases the number of younger people coming into the sport is a good thing, and that includes lots more tech in the firearms we use. It includes jumping on the latest bandwagons and using them for all they're worth.

The day we get a firearm that youtubes videos of your shots as you hit clays or a target that shows your rifle/pistol shot groups on facebook automatically, we'll have something that does our sports a lot of good.

Sparks wrote: »
    ...but remind me what part of a shotgun saves lives again?

A trigger guard and a safety, i'm not against technological advances but i dont like things that serve little purpose, seeing that ypu brought up cars, there are thousands of things in cars that aren't needed but are nice to have such as a radio as it makes travelling more comfortable but then there are things i dont like aswwll like new cars such as VW's with button handbrakes, these automatically lock when a car is switched off so if you break down your brakes can engage which means you cant ring your buddy to tow you away and also means you cant even change your brake pads without plugging it into a computer to disengage you brakes, i just dont see how its an advantage

ormondprop wrote: »
    A trigger guard and a safety
    If you need either of those to save your life, you probably should retake a safety course because the only time I can think of when they could save your life is if you're clambering over a fence or whatever with an unbroken loaded shotgun and the trigger catches on something while the gun's pointed at you, at which point, you're already breaking several fundamental safety rules.

Whereas airbags save lives when other people (or mechanical failure) cause the accident.
    i'm not against technological advances but i dont like things that serve little purpose, seeing that ypu brought up cars, there are thousands of things in cars that aren't needed but are nice to have such as a radio as it makes travelling more comfortable but then there are things i dont like aswwll like new cars such as VW's with button handbrakes, these automatically lock when a car is switched off so if you break down your brakes can engage which means you cant ring your buddy to tow you away and also means you cant even change your brake pads without plugging it into a computer to disengage you brakes, i just dont see how its an advantage

There are several advantages to push-button handbrakes:
    • No more forgetting to engage the handbrake when you park the car, it goes on automatically so your car won't roll back down the hill and cause damage.
    • Less force needed to engage the handbrake, which is an advantage for many drivers - how many times has your wife complained that you pull up the handbrake lever too far and she has trouble disengaging it? How many handicapped drivers need the controls in an unusual place, which is easier with electronic controls?
    • Less cost to manufacture because a switch and some wires now cost less than mechanical systems to build and assemble
    • No more handbrake turns in your car by your teenager kids and thus no more replacing all four tyres after only six months :D

And the ECUs in cars might need a diagnostic computer to plug in, but (a) they're cheap enough for what they do, and (b) even when all parts of the car were mechanical in nature, only a very small subset of the population could fix them anyway - today, even small garages can just plug in a box and give you a full rundown on what's broken in five minutes flat (I had to do that just last night - I pull into the garage, the mechanic takes literally three minutes to find the diagnostic port and plug in the box and it tells him that it's cylinder #4 that's misfiring. On the old car, it'd take far longer and you'd be pulling sparkplugs and moving cables round to check.). Less time = less money (if you go to an honest mechanic).

There's damn little on modern cars that serves no useful purpose to anyone - it might not be convenient for a small few users, but most of those the car company sells to find those features beneficial or the company wouldn't spend money on the R&D and marketing involved to ship those features.

BTW, on the cost, look at your mobile phone. The camera on there cost about 80-90 cents to make. Ten years ago, it was a research project that took several researchers and six figures in hardware to build. Costs come down as we progress onwards...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

If it is Motoring I need someone to fix the mid exhaust bracket that started rattling @900RPM's which just happens to be the idling speed. And the pistons are sticking on my break callipers. Monday would suit me :D

If it's Guns, do you remember that electronic ammo BS that a few manufacturers tried 10 years ago and gave up??:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

If it is Motoring I need someone to fix the mid exhaust bracket that started rattling @900RPM's which just happens to be the idling speed. And the pistons are sticking on my break callipers. Monday would suit me :D

One up for Tack! :D:D:D:D:D

Advertisement