Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lice Probably Bugged Dinos

Options
  • 06-04-2011 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭

It has long been suspected that dinosaurs would have had all sorts of parasites. Now a mapping of the evolutionary tree containing lice shows that lice very similar to the variety that plague modern birds were around during the time of teh dinosaurs.
    n international team, including scientists at the Natural History Museum, carried out a genetic and fossil study and produced a family tree showing the evolutionary history of lice. By putting a time-scale on this family tree, their data suggests that dinosaurs probably had lice.

Parasitic lice are dependent on their hosts such as birds and mammals for their survival. This dependency is so strong that their evolutionary histories are closely tied together. Many lice have evolved body shapes that allow them to live on specific parts of the host body. For example, wing lice are often adapted to the space between the barbs of wing feathers. The different sizes of this gap in different bird species makes it hard for the lice to ever change hosts.

The team showed that parasitic lice evolved about 130 million years ago and that they were already diversifying before the event that caused the extinction of the dinosaurs and many other animals 65 million years ago.

Read more here.

dino-lice-44mill-490_96151_2.jpg
    Left: Prehistoric louse (Megamenopon rasnitsyni) Right: modern fowl lice (Holomenopon brevithoracicum)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

PS: i am the first person to like this on Facebook hell yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Page not found (404 error)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Typo fixed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

Not surprising at all. What I really want to know is how big were T-rex tapeworms! :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Alvin T. Grey

What I want to know is how a Utahraptor scratched without disembowling itself......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

What I want to know is how a Utahraptor scratched without disembowling itself......

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Anyone know if a sauropod with worms dragged it's bum along the ground to relieve the itch?

I was just wondering how the Grand Canyon started.:D

Advertisement