Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chemical biopharm enginnering CIT

Options
  • 06-04-2011 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

The chemical engineering degree at CIT. In comparison to the other Universities, are degrees from UCD,UL etc held in a higher regard simply because they're UNI's and have higher entry requirements? Do you end up with the same qualifications and careers prospects or would they have the advantage over people who come out of Institutes of Technology? I'm just unsure as to where I should just chose because of the differences.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

tom2009 wrote: »
    The chemical engineering degree at CIT. In comparison to the other Universities, are degrees from UCD,UL etc held in a higher regard simply because they're UNI's and have higher entry requirements? Do you end up with the same qualifications and careers prospects or would they have the advantage over people who come out of Institutes of Technology? I'm just unsure as to where I should just chose because of the differences.
    thanks
    There's no doubt that a qualification from a university looks better but in practical terms, courses out of ITs can be much more attractive to employers due to amount of practical work/labs done.

It depends on the course. However I think the CIT chemical engineering course is regarded well. Some UCC chemical eng students come to CIT anyways weekly in order to use our labs.

I don't know enough about the course unfort as I come from IT. Hopefully someone can give you a better insight but then you'll get biased views.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Corkladddd!!

Hi, Chem Eng Student Here OP.

I'm fourth year student at CIT. Regards the IT/NUI argument it generally doesn't come into consideration. The job opportunities are the same for both and if I were you I would just consider how you like to study as the choice between the two.

I personally work much better at practicals and writing lab reports/projects and thats why I chose CIT. If you are more of a bookworm then a UCC/QUB would be more suited to you. A good trade off between the two is the UCD course apparently. As a bit of advice leave UL as last choice as there course is not accredited by ICheme so to be on same standing as other colleges you have to do external exams.

Check out the why not chem eng campaign if you would like further info. PM me if you want to find out some more.

The course is hard work so be prepared but its worth it, €32000 is the average grad job salary of our class of ya looking for motivation.

Advertisement