Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Martial Art For Security/Self-Defence?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

In regards to the guy being killed by an rnc, sounds like bollox, it works by cutting off blood at either side of the neck, it takes a good while to kill someone with it, it is impossible for it to happen suddenly.

I'm not too sure about that. I'm playing devil's advocate here, but if you trip with your bicep and forearm around someone's corotid arteries I suppose you could end up breaking their neck; I'm no doctor. I wouldn't hesitate to use it if someone was looking to use a bottle on another customer, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭HammerHeadGym

well, I guess I'm no doctor, but having two arms round someone's neck would surely act ass a cushion, no? I just can't envision any scenario where a rnc would break a guys neck. Can anyone enlighten me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

To the best of my knowledge, the vast majority (if not all) of the fatalities or serious injuries associated with police men and security staff using chokes and strangles to subdue opponents where due to crushed trachea as they used the night stick/baton to choke.

To the best of my knowledge, the vast majority (if not all) of the fatalities or serious injuries associated with police men and security staff using chokes and strangles to subdue opponents where due to crushed trachea as they used the night stick/baton to choke.

I could well believe that, as air chokes are significantly more dangerous than blood chokes. The thing is, though, chokes look vicious, and generally patrons watching have their stupid, uninformed opinions. On top of that, the vast majority of untrained people wouldn't be able to spot the difference between an air choke and a blood choke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Don't mean to derail the topic but, I was out at a friends birthday last night and some of his friends are in the army. I was told by 3 of them that they were bouncers (2 male, one female). I was told that the best way to take down a "cúnt that's giving someone lip in the job" is to "smash him with your fist in the temple and drag him out". Actually couldn't believe what I was hearing. Kind of kept it going to see what other verbal diarrhea they were coming out with and it kept coming. I was told by the girl that she once "held a birds arms and loafed her and when the gardai came I said she fell down the stairs while I tried to restrain her". Got told all about how if you're outside the premises and you're holding someone down and someone spots it you can claim it's a citizens arrest.

I hope that it was just a load of waffle from a bunch of saps but for some reason I can some how believe they may have done this.

Just regarding some of the posts on here, it's really reassuring that people actually do care about what happens to someone (even if they're acting the prick) while they're on the premises. I can understand that some people reading may think different considering the words "choke" etc being used, but still, it's a significantly better way to handle someone than hitting them and possibly causing serious damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Dathai I'd say it was bullsh*t talk & bravado.

You'd have to listen to some of the bullsh*t the more experienced lads have to listen to on the door.

Young lads talking about all the fights they've been in, or all the chic's they'd rode - tbh, it bores me to tears and I'd rarely hang onto someone like that.

And besides they're lads who are most likely working for minimum wage & at the bottom of the food chain in a security company stuck for good bodies.

Dathaí, a lot of PDF lads do a bit of event security on the side, as Makikomi is well aware, and they'll take on any knuckle-dragging moron who puts their name down. I did it myself about 8 months before they started bringing in the licences.

I reckon those army guys were full of shít. Unless they're a good bit older, which it doesn't sound like they are, it's most likely just bravado. No club or bar wants to take on thugs like that who will get them sued. I've seen lads I've worked with getting the sack for less than what the guys at the party claimed they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OLDMAN1

[QUOTE=HammerHeadGym;
    In regards to the guy being killed by an rnc, sounds like bollox, it works by cutting off blood at either side of the neck, it takes a good while to kill someone with it, it is impossible for it to happen suddenly.

[/QUOTE]

As far as i remember it happened in waterford or wexford a few years ago, the bouncer put a guy into RNC and then fell over, about 10 bodys ended up on top of him,the coroners court called it restraint sufficiation, this is info i heard on the 6 news...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Dathai I'd say it was bullsh*t talk & bravado.

Oh yeah, definitely. I was more shocked that people with supposed army training would instead tell someone they just clatter people instead of actually using it. Found it funny that they decided to tell me all this after only speaking to me for 2 minutes. I was obviously extremely impressed with it all and wanted to be friends forever after hearing how big and tough they were at work. :pac:

Definitely spot on about being at the bottom of the food chain, these lads were fighting it out with the amoeba for the lowest form of organism known to man. Oddly enough I had actually remembered this thread while trying to get them to yap more about their superhero antics and the bit about the "your ma's a whore" etc came to mind and was asking them what would happen. You can guess their answer :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Young lads talking about all the fights they've been in, or all the chic's they'd rode

Puke.

Thankfully none of the lads I work with are remotely like that at all, obviously you have your ball-hopping and banter (we're all young guys) that goes with any job but nobody sticks out like that at all.

I have worked with one eejit like that though, a big fella who instead of trying to defuse situations tried to use his size etc to intimidate or over-ego someone into compliance. When this didn't work (most people understandably got their backs up) he immediately resorted to pushing or pulling someone around the place. Funnily enough he only behaved like this toward the student crowd, never at the weekend because he knew he'd probably get an unmerciful clatter if he tried that carry on with an older crowd not prepared to accept such sh*t behaviour.

People like that are best kept away from DSP work, I'd sooner do the door on my tod than rely on someone like that to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

FTA69 wrote: »
    Puke.

Thankfully none of the lads I work with are remotely like that at all, obviously you have your ball-hopping and banter (we're all young guys) that goes with any job but nobody sticks out like that at all.

I have worked with one eejit like that though, a big fella who instead of trying to defuse situations tried to use his size etc to intimidate or over-ego someone into compliance. When this didn't work (most people understandably got their backs up) he immediately resorted to pushing or pulling someone around the place. Funnily enough he only behaved like this toward the student crowd, never at the weekend because he knew he'd probably get an unmerciful clatter if he tried that carry on with an older crowd not prepared to accept such sh*t behaviour.

People like that are best kept away from DSP work, I'd sooner do the door on my tod than rely on someone like that to be honest.
    I used to work with a twat like this. Kilkenny is pretty much stag/hen night and alot of travellers come drinking here. I remember once he told a traveller that he's smash his head against the wall if he didn't finish up and **** out.

The traveller was a local, never caused trouble and the staff were always happy to see him as he always tipped the staff atr the end of the night.

First and last night i worked with him.

FTA69 wrote: »
    I'd sooner do the door on my tod than rely on someone like that to be honest.

Nothing like working the door on your own to learn some diplomacy.

Worked on door alone for almost four years, and never had a row - easiest money I ever made on a door.

Where I presently work I'm on the door alone, with a lad inside and no radio so I'm employing the same diplomacy, and this is a busy rock/metal bar.

Nothing like working the door on your own to learn some diplomacy.

Worked on door alone for almost four years, and never had a row - easiest money I ever made on a door.

Where I presently work I'm on the door alone, with a lad inside and no radio so I'm employing the same diplomacy, and this is a busy rock/metal bar.
    Everyone to go wreck fibbers next week :P (nah not fibs they always have 2 on the door)

Everyone to go wreck fibbers next week :P (nah not fibs they always have 2 on the door)

Close, but no cigar!.

We sponsor Luke Corcoran's Coolmine BJJ t-shirts ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I used to work with a twat like this. Kilkenny is pretty much stag/hen night and alot of travellers come drinking here. I remember once he told a traveller that he's smash his head against the wall if he didn't finish up and **** out.

Disgraceful carry on. Does the place you work have a tolerant policy toward Travellers or just the odd local?

• Advertisement

This lad was a local they would let in a 2 or 3 others once yer men was with them, I have to say not once did him or anybody with him cause any trouble and were always courtious to the staff, as soon as one got too drunk one of the wifes would appear apologise and bring himself home(which i thought was wierd)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

bouncers survivig the door... that aint martial arts, now getting drunk as f**k and beating 5-6 sober, bigger than you bouncers, that's the test!!!
    ;):D:D:D, well for your first Dan :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭HammerHeadGym

OLDMAN1 wrote: »
    ...about 10 bodys ended up on top of him,the coroners court called it restraint sufficiation...

Fair enough, thats a different story. Then again, he may have died, with or without the choke hold on him. And to be honest, even in light of this, RNC will always be my first option when dealing with drunks.

Advertisement