Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First hand experience of animal cruelty today..

• 06-04-2011 5:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Now, before I go ahead, I am 99% sure that this was animal cruelty but in the case that it isn't, I apologise to the owners of the animal.

Today after my run, I was walking home with a friend and all of a sudden a Staffie/Boxer cross ran up to us, wagging his tail and licking us. He was one of the friendliest dogs I have ever come across. He followed me to my house, and only then did I realise the condition he was in.

He was brindle with white on his neck/chest but he was filthy and smelled bad. It was as if he wasn't washed and left outside in all weather! I looked then and saw that instead of a collar, he had a chain wrapped around his neck with a padlock to secure it. The end of the chain had a broken link so he must have escaped.

He was absolutely starving, too. We gave him some bread and then some beef - both he swallowed without chewing. He started to cry for more food when the beef was gone! You could see the poor guy's ribs.

He calmed down after a while and sat down on the ground while wagging his tail looking at us. Then I noticed that he had some sort of infectious lump/boil on his hind paw!

I put two and two together and realised that the dog must have belonged to the some travellers a few doors up (I am not discriminating here, just pointing it out). He must have broke free from the chain he was locked to. Their door was wide open, too.

I really wanted to call the local authorites and have the dog taken away from the neighbours but I was advised against it. A fella living not far away from me stopped his car on the side of the road, brought the dog into the car and drove to his house with the dog. He had staffies before so he was experienced.

This was really saddening for me to see a dog in such condition, and I feel bad for not being able to do anything! I don't know why I posted this but it just shocked me; the abuse that some animals (especially restricted breeds) get in this country from all walks of life.

Hope the fella has a second chance in life :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Update: I don't know how but the dog was just chased up the road by one of the travellers and then was shouted at to get into the house. I fear the guy who took the dog in a while ago might be in trouble now.

Poor dog :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Colibri wrote: »

I really wanted to call the local authorites and have the dog taken away from the neighbours but I was advised against it. A fella living not far away from me stopped his car on the side of the road, brought the dog into the car and drove to his house with the dog. He had staffies before so he was experienced.
    Update: I don't know how but the dog was just chased up the road by one of the neighbours and then was shouted at to get into the house. I fear the guy who took the dog in a while ago might be in trouble now.

Poor dog :(

I don't understand....do you mean one of the Travellers found out the dog was at this other mans house and went down to chase him home?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I'm a bit confused too, did you neighbour who put the dog into his car take it to his home to care for it, but it doesn't belong to him is that right? Who was chasing the dog now?

I think that's how it happened. My mom called me to look out the window, all I saw was a guy running towards the dog, grabbing him by the loose part of the chain and walking back. Then a middle aged man (a traveller too) walked down the road, hopefully he didn't cause trouble.

My mom went out and heard somebody shouting at the dog then - "GET IN THERE!"

:(

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused too, did you neighbour who put the dog into his car take it to his home to care for it, but it doesn't belong to him is that right? Who was chasing the dog now?

I'm not sure what my neighbour took him in for to be honest but I think it was just to keep him until an owner was found. The travellers were chasing the dog :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

A phone call to the ISPCA is needed.

No-one needs to know it was you who called them

You have a chance to rescue the dog please take it:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

yeah you might as well just register your concern with ISPCA if they arent being cruel and the dog just escaped and was worse for wear for that they can check him out and no harm done
    If they love the dog but dont know how to care for him the ISPCA can give the owners help and advice.

And if it is a case of animal cruelty the ISPCA can cease and rehome him

either way you should call even just to put your own head at ease

Thanks Dave and Rachiee! The problem is that the travellers are after seeing the dog at my house and saw me with him, giving him some food etc. If I do contact the ISPCA, they'll not hesitate to point the finger at me :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Daisy!

Thanks Dave and Rachiee! The problem is that the travellers are after seeing the dog at my house and saw me with him, giving him some food etc. If I do contact the ISPCA, they'll not hesitate to point the finger at me :/

Not necessarily. They also saw your other neighbour with him. It could have been anyone.

Do the right thing by the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

That's really upsetting, that poor dog. It's so nice of you to have taken the time to give the dog a bit of food and spend a bit of time with him by the way. A lot of people would just let the dog about his own business.

There is a traveller group near where I work and I always see them walking about 7-10 dogs (greyhounds, GSDs, staffys etc) at a time - all on either ropes tied around their necks or a chain. A greyhound got loose one day and wandered into our car park. He was emaciated, covered in mange, smelled really bad, looked like he had an infection in his eyes and his nails curled right out and back into the pads in his paws. We called the ISPCA who said if I could get him onto a lead and take him to them they'd take a look. I spent about an hour after my shift trying to encourage him to come to me but he was terrified of the lead. In a way I think I was a bit lucky as when I was about to give up a group of younger traveller lads came running into our lot, screamed at the dog and took him away... I felt so sorry for him but reported it.. Not sure if anything was done and sadly I doubt it.

A few weeks later one of their GSDs got loose. I still have him. :)

Advertisement