Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guess hand bags: hot or not?

Options
  • 06-04-2011 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hey everyone,

so, this is the second time in a row that a bag I got in TopShop broke on me after just two months. I am in the market for a new bag. I want it to last a bit longer than that and would be prepared to pay up to 200eur.

I was thinking about Guess.

What do ye all think? Hot or not? Other recommendations?

Cheers,
    GG.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

I think they look cheap and tacky. That's just me.

Topshop bags are nice though, get another one of them! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭GermanicGalore

Hm, I'm a bit on the fence about them. I think the quality is grand. Sometimes the styles are a bit "too much".
    And what good is a 70eur TopShop bag that doesn't even last a couple of months.

Had been thinking about something like that:
    http://www.guess.eu/Guess/EN/Woman/Handbags/Hobos/Sheer~Bliss~Hobo/HWDE2768010-BLU?categoryID=62

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Shelga wrote: »
    I think they look cheap and tacky. That's just me.
    I agree about Guess bags.

Some of them are nice, but most of them (imo) look cheap and tacky.

The one you linked to OP, in my personal opinion, is cheap and tacky looking, sorry.:o I wouldn't pay €10 for it, let alone €150 for it.

Have you got the receipt for the Topshop bag? If you have, I would go back in to them and complain/see if something can be done, refund, repair, replacement.

Also what bag in Topshop did you get? Was it the strap that broke?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Shmatter

Hm, I'm a bit on the fence about them. I think the quality is grand. Sometimes the styles are a bit "too much".
    And what good is a 70eur TopShop bag that doesn't even last a couple of months.

Had been thinking about something like that:
    http://www.guess.eu/Guess/EN/Woman/Handbags/Hobos/Sheer~Bliss~Hobo/HWDE2768010-BLU?categoryID=62
    If you like the bag go ahead but I also wouldn't be caught dead with that bag.

I'm looking for a new bag myself and not sure how much of a splurge to take, worried about quality etc, will be following this one

Personally, I would associate "Guess bags" with being cheap and tacky.
    They are basically the cheapest designer bags out there. .

I also would not be caught dead with that bag you have chosen. .
    It is so not worth the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Guess bags can be quite nice sometimes, and they're pretty well made, but they're vastly overpriced here in Ireland. I've bought Guess bags in the US for circa $50 or less that I've seen here for €200+

DKNY have leather bags for around the €200-250 mark and they're pretty good quality. Alternatively, head to House of Fraser and look at the Linea brand. They have good leather bags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

I have two lovely guess bags, i try and get the leather ones.. I got mine both in Italy, where there was the full shop and the nicest ones were quite reasonable in price...

In my own opinion, i'm not a fan of the one you have posted, i'd rather go for something like

http://www.guess.eu/Guess/EN/Woman/Handbags/Totes/Emory~Small~Tote/HWVE2698020-GRY?categoryID=184

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

I've got loads that I bought in the US, I just couldn't pay for them here, they're a complete rip-off. I don't like the logo/monogrammed style - I think that's tacky in any brand. Mine are mostly plain ones. They last for years and I think the most I paid for any of them was about $100.

I love that one you posted tatabubbly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sibylla

I think the Guess bag looks cheap for the price, For 200 euro you should really look around. Pop into house of fraser I've seen some lovely ones in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

I think I'm with everyone else here OP, I wouldn't be caught dead with a bag like that! Personally speaking, I don't like anything that is obviously branded, whether that be bags or clothing. If you have the receipt for the River Island bag bring it back in to the manager-a handbag should not break after only two months use, I have a beautiful brown leather bag i bought in Oasis years ago that is well used and its almost perfect apart from some wear on the strap. Never had a problem with any bags i've bought there tbh.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all your good advice. I think Guess came to mind because I have seen so many girls wearing them, and I am just really annoyed with my TopShop bag, especially because this is the second time this has happened to me with a bag from them.

I'm gonna have a look around house of fraser so, and see if I like anything.

I do not have the receipt for the TopShop bag anymore. I had a quick browse on their web page and it's not listed anymore, but it is nearly the same as this one http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=33057&storeId=12556&productId=2240919&langId=-1&sort_field=Relevance&categoryId=208548&parent_categoryId=204484&pageSize=200
    It's just a little lighter in colour and came without the flap part.

The seam sort of dissolved leaving a part open. I was thinking about fixing it myself somehow, but I would only be able to do a bodge job on it, so I decided to leave it and look for something better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I'd be a +1 on that Guess bag not being very nice. Personally I love Ollie & Nic bags, they're around the same price as Topshop's bags but I think better quality (and also so purty!) I've had a leather tote from them for over 2 years now and it's still going strong

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

OP, I bought a bag like that in Topshop (without the flap top, just a zip across, and in black) and the same thing happened to me - at some of the seams the bag started to come apart. I had the bag for over a year before it happened though. If I were you, I'd still bring the bag back. You haven't had it very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I really like Guess bags and think the bag you picked out is really nice. I do like showy labels and have Gucci and Louis Vuitton stuff also in the logo print. They are much cheaper in America though so if you knew anyone going there, it might be worth asking them to look for the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

I would look in Debenhams for a handbag. They do Debenhams own brand but carry a number of different brands at different prices.
    I would try and buy a leather bag if possible as they last longer.
    Esprit have nice hand bags - www.esprit.eu.
    I had one of these bags - non leather which lasted for over a year with a daily use.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I also think guess bags are tacky looking. I've had a few topshop bags over the years and they've all been grand so usually they are good quality. One I've had for about 5 years and I still use it.

For that price you could get a nice designer bag in the likes of Debenhams or House of Fraser. Ollie and Nic and Ted baker also do nice, good quality bags in that price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 deejam

even though you dont have your receipt i would bring it back to topshop and they might be able to do something for you...
    maybe have a look in river island they have really nice bags from time to time..!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

+1 for most guess bags being tacky. I have one myself but the logo is not very noticable on it and I got it in the US for about €40.

TK Maxx have some nice designer bags in at the min that are around the 200 price mark - I seen some really nice LAMB ones but out of my budget unfortunately. Definatley worth taking a look though.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

I have a couple of guess bags but also got them in the US - they are a complete rip off here as other posters have said. At least double the US price, where they are not remotely considered designer to be honest. The bag the OP selected would also get quite dirty, I think, I've found that fabric hard to clean.

I wouldn't remotely consider paying over €100 for a non-leather bag to be honest, simply because the man made materials tend to crack. There's plenty decent brands for the €200 mark in Arnotts and House of Fraser -
    this one is sort of vaguely like the one you had
    http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Linea+Polly+pleat+leather+medium+hobo/144978505,default,pd.html?cgid=3041

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

I am a major handbag fan and have a couple of guess one but lately the ones in the shop and website look cheap and very tacky. DNKY have some lovely ones and if you can Vivenne Westwood ones are great.

I have a few from Oasis and hgave to day they have really lasted, all cost around 50 euro and have taken some abuse.

If you have 200 euro to spend would you think about looking in the 2nd hand designer shops? I got a fab (unused) VW one last year for a fracton of the normal cost. I also have a Burberry and D&G ones agai second hand.

I would also take the bag back to Topshop and just ask to have a word with the manager. I am sure she knows when they had them in stock from the style number and will how when(ish) you got it. You have nothing to lose

• Advertisement

If you have 200 euro to spend would you think about looking in the 2nd hand designer shops? I got a fab (unused) VW one last year for a fracton of the normal cost. I also have a Burberry and D&G ones agai second hand.

That sounds interesting. Where would I find these shops?

Has anyone any nice bag online shops to recommend?
    I've been browsing around lushfashions.com, but buying online is a bit of a gamble...still nice bags there.

I feel like going for something a little different than my usual approach, which has been to pick something up in the likes of TopShop. I'm not too mad about those they currently do in Oasis (although I generally like their style).

Olli&Nic seems to have some really cute stuff. Will have to check them out.

I appreciate your comments about bringing the bag back. But to be honest, I'm just not the complaining type. I find that very hard. Silly, I know. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

That sounds interesting. Where would I find these shops?

Has anyone any nice bag online shops to recommend?
    I've been browsing around lushfashions.com, but buying online is a bit of a gamble...still nice bags there.

I feel like going for something a little different than my usual approach, which has been to pick something up in the likes of TopShop. I'm not too mad about those they currently do in Oasis (although I generally like their style).

Olli&Nic seems to have some really cute stuff. Will have to check them out.

I appreciate your comments about bringing the bag back. But to be honest, I'm just not the complaining type. I find that very hard. Silly, I know. :(

Try the Secret Closet on the north side or second ave in Sandymount. I got my bags in Secret Closet. Have a look and see how you get on, you might find something you really love at a good price.

The bags in Oasis are not as nice now as in the past couple of years.

Must check out Olli&Nic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭oompaloompa

I agree with most of the posters here re Guess bags, they are overpriced and inclined to look a bit tacky.

Mischa Barton's range of bags are available in Arnotts and the Kilkenny store, they're good quality and very nice. This one isn't a million miles from what you had. Also a little less than you're budget so why not treat yourself to two new bags ;)

http://www.mischabartonhandbags.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=429&rangeID=92&seasonID=1&menu=spring

Try the Secret Closet on the north side or second ave in Sandymount. I got my bags in Secret Closet. Have a look and see how you get on, you might find something you really love at a good price.

Thanks so much. I think I will check out Secret Closet this weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭pencilsharp

I agree that Guess bag looks cheap although from time to time they have ones without the big logo that look nice but nowhere near worth 200euro. I agree about linea bags, they are really nice quality and have some lovely designs. River Island from time to time can also have nice bags although some can look tacky.

I really like some of these ones

http://www.riverisland.com/Online/women/bags--purses?startindex=1&itemsperpage=20&sortoptions=0&category=3461b9be-2fbb-4584-98b1-f2f243012109&includerelatedcontent=0

Advertisement