Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What time in the morning is it okay to use a lawnmower?

Options
  • 06-04-2011 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭

Hi.

What time in the morning is it okay to use a lawnmower? I don't want to get in trouble with the neighbors.

Thanks in advance.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

I wish every neighbour was like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I never do it before midday as it used to piss me off when people did it earlier. Now I have kids so am up at 8 everyday anyway so don't care anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

10am?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭theparish

I generally cut it in the afternoon or evening as the grass tends to be dryer at that hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭john t

After 10am in residental area but no law, use of audible warning device/ car horn is after 8am so unless mower is very noisy 10am is resonable..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

Glowing wrote: »
    10am?

Sounds reasonable.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

11 am, the real answer is when the grass is dry enough to cut. Thats about 11 am. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

Late afternoon think of the night workers

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

10:00 - 10:30, or 9:00 on Sundays :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

After 12 at the latest id say, being a shift worker nothing worse than coming home tryign to get asleep and someone going to town in there garden with strimmers, lawnmowers etc;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If its one of the hand push mowers, any time you like, its one of the most peaceful sounds I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Most mornings there is a few on the grass anyway so you are better off cutting from late morning on.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

They more dew on the grass the better ,it helps the blade cut over the grass with less resistance.If the grass is very dry I use a watering can first before cutting.

Snowc wrote: »
    They more dew on the grass the better ,it helps the blade cut over the grass with less resistance.If the grass is very dry I use a watering can first before cutting.

Really? I though the dryer the better?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

Worztron wrote: »

Wet grass cloggs the mower

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Worztron wrote: »

Works for me anyways
    Irish Fire wrote: »
    Wet grass clogs the mower

Yes wet grass but I am refereeing to damp grass.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

8:30am is ok to start mowing the lawn.

Any noisy work on a building site or house can commence from 8:30am in the morning,with regards to disturbing any private residential places and the residents.Noise cannot be above 99db at 2 meters distance from the applience/machine,if it is above that at under 2 meters distance,then you need to wear ear protection.

If the neighbours have a problem with you mowing the lawn at 8:30am in the morning,then tell them that they are the regulations under the HSA.

After 12 at the latest id say, being a shift worker nothing worse than coming home tryign to get asleep and someone going to town in there garden with strimmers, lawnmowers etc;)

Dont do shift work then.Or else wear ear muffs/plugs

The world doesnt stop just because you are on shiftwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

OP - when it comes to making any noise, you seem to be aware of the importance of being reasonable and considerate of your neighbours.

Don't risk being an asshole and unecessarily upset your neighbours by early mowing.

Let common sense prevail, afterall what harm will it be to mow later (10.30/11.00am) but still be friendly your neighbours? Who knows someday you might need their assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭niceoneted

Paddy 147 if you have a fire in the middle of the night in your house do you want the fire brigade to say they only work 9-5.
    If you are sick and need a Dr the hospital with an ambulance with paramedics, nurses, doctors etc will you accept sorry we only work 9-5.
    If you need the gardai will you accept that they only work 9-5.
    If you want to go for a few pints or a meal will you accept that they close at 5.
    Spare a thought for shiftworkers - I am one. I usually don't mind anything after 11 or 12. My neighbours are kind enough to know I work shift.
    Sorry if a little off topic.

• Advertisement

niceoneted wrote: »
    Paddy 147 if you have a fire in the middle of the night in your house do you want the fire brigade to say they only work 9-5.
    If you are sick and need a Dr the hospital with an ambulance with paramedics, nurses, doctors etc will you accept sorry we only work 9-5.
    If you need the gardai will you accept that they only work 9-5.
    If you want to go for a few pints or a meal will you accept that they close at 5.
    Spare a thought for shiftworkers - I am one. I usually don't mind anything after 11 or 12. My neighbours are kind enough to know I work shift.
    Sorry if a little off topic.

The world doesnt stop just because you work shift.

People have to cut gardens,bin lorries have to collect rubbish,cars and trucks and motorbikes have to drive around.The world has to get on with things and its daily grind

Buy a pair of ear muffs or ear plugs,or dont do shift work.

But dont expect the world just to stop and drop everything just because you are a shift worker and want/need to sleep in the daytime.

I regulary work shift work too (ghosties as we call them),and I dont expect the world to stop for me,just because I need my sleep when its daylight.

The world goes on,whether Im on shift or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭niceoneted

I wish I had the choice not to do shiftwork but there are no vacancies in my preferred position.

I don't expect them to stop but they could consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

And no one has asked weekday or weekend? And petrol, electric or manual mower? All makes a big difference imho

But anyway, why cut grass in the morning? Much better to cut it when it is really dry - as late as possible (this time of year around 7 pm)

unkel wrote: »
    But anyway, why cut grass in the morning? Much better to cut it when it is really dry - as late as possible (this time of year around 7 pm)

Maybe the OP,s professional/working and personal/family lifestyle would only allow for morning time perhaps??

unkel wrote: »
    And no one has asked weekday or weekend? And petrol, electric or manual mower? All makes a big difference imho

Lets say weekday and electric mower.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

Used to work for a company cutting lawns. We would start in estates at 9. Would be annoying though if you worked nights. Industrial mowers are loud mothers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Let common sense prevail, afterall what harm will it be to mow later (10.30/11.00am) but still be friendly your neighbours? Who knows someday you might need their assistance.

Agree 100%.
    I don't believe in cutting grass before noon. I have a life!
    I also have a beautiful wife & two great kids, so when I'm up with the kids we have others things to do as a family.

Common sense & common courtesy should prevail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

I rarely sleep beyond 9am on weekends(no kids) and I would hold off until about 11am but I am terribly tempted to fire up the mower as soon as I am up, I wake too often around 8am to hear neighbours kids out the back screaming.

We were allowed out and about until 9.30 as kids to save the neighbours, parents these days:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24 AmberSolace

I'd be more interested in knowing what time in the evening you can't use the mower. My neighbour just fired up his mower at 21:10 (twilight) during Everton V Man Utd. Asking him to shut it off resulted in a torrent of abuse.

• Advertisement

Well you are not supposed to use a car or bike horn in a built up area after 11pm.

So I rekon you could still cut the grass at 10pm at night,if you wanted to.

Advertisement