Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reloading

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭rock garden

Lads there might be a problem with ordering reloading gear from mainland uk .ie when i ordered a case trimmer with the sportmans guncentre in devon he asked me if i lived in southern ireland because if i did he was not permitted to send any reloading item to ROI. regards RG.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Everyone must have tons of money to burn still,when I hear you all ordering from the UK etc.:D
    EBAY.com..Lads the stuff is cheap and plentiful and just as good 2nd hand,and they will ship it to Europe.Takes abit of shopping around and time to get the right bits.But whats the hurry???
    It's not like full reloading is legal here yet!:pac:You can certainly "customise" the loads which is legal and does require a certain amount of the reloading equipment to do this.

So you can certainly practise customising the ammo,learning the procedures ,and how to do already.
    Just dont order powder,primers or bullet heads or cases,and it should be ok.

AS usual.
    Dont take this as legal advice or gospel.But the customising of ammo was certainly discussed in two DC cases in the mid 80sor early 90s up around the NW part of the Island,if my memory serves me right,and both were thrown out of court,as it was ruled as customising the ammo was not making ammo from fresh "ingredients":)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

While the discussion of "what ifs", hypotheticals, and the general equipment used in reloading is fine. Discussing ANY alterations, customising, changing, etc of loads, rounds, ammo cannot and will not be allowed.

Irrespective of the outcome of previous cases i do not believe anyone can either afford or want to try their luck with their own case. Remember that discussion of reloading is legal, and allowed. Practising of reloading is illegal and not allowed.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Practicing reloading in the republic of Ireland may be illegal. I think the reloading in itself is not illegal, just the possession of components.
    Many of us have reloaded and continue to do so legally in other countries.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Traumadoc wrote: »
    ............ I think the reloading in itself is not illegal, just the possession of components.

Illegal is the best word i can use to describe the current situation. Currently, and as has been said before, reloading is in a state of legislative suspension. Possession of primers ad powder is illegal without the necessary paperwork/authorisation from the DOJ which is not being issued. Until the release of the new Explosives Act this situation will not change.
    Many of us have reloaded and continue to do so legally in other countries.

And hopefully we will all have it here sooner rather than later. However until that day the discussion of reloading will and can only be a hypothetical. As with the numerous threads on shotgun cartridges, and altering them. I would sooner air on the side of caution and not have discussions about it. I don't think ayone will want to go through the ordeal of a court case to either find out they can or cannot do certain things.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I don't mean to be difficult but it is not hypothetical if some of us are doing it legally outside the republic.

Doing it in the republic of ireland is potentially illegal ( although I know of no cases that have been taken successfully) It would be interesting case law in that I presume you would be charged for possession of a component you were legally allowed to posess. ( in the form of a full cartridge).

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It's hypothetical within the Republic, for now at least. When explicitly outside the republic, as this thread shows, the problem doesn't arise (you'll note Ezri and john both posting in there).

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭ianoo

SVI40 wrote: »
    You can get the NRA reloading manual here, www.fass.ie for €15.00 + p&p. That's where I got mine from.

thanks to sv140 and declan from fingal academy of shooting sports a copy of the above NRA manual is on its way to me ,:D:D

fair play to ye lads

ian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

ianoo wrote: »
    thanks to sv140 and declan from fingal academy of shooting sports a copy of the above NRA manual is on its way to me ,:D:D
    fair play to ye lads
    ian
    ian,
    Congrats - that book is great and you got it at the right price. It takes you through everything you need to know - all of the basics.

Once reloading is legal, you will want to get a reloading manual. It will cover the same material as the above and have all of the powder loads you need.

It may pay to pick one up, but I would not go buying many until it is legal to reload.

You will want three books to cross reference and ensure no-one made a typo. Plus, all three will not be exactly the same.

Again, it may pay to wait to buy all three since you will want the latest and greatest data. For example, this year's Hornady manual has the Superformance powder loads.

On the subject of reloading, I agree with what EZ is saying. You don't want to give anyone the opportunity to interpret the law when it comes to your firearm license. It is better to steer clear.

I know a prosecutor that likes to say: "it's easy to convict a guilty person, the real trick is in convicting someone that is innocent!

Advertisement