Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build advice please

Options
  • 06-04-2011 6:40pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,im planning on getting myself a new gaming rig.
    My current spec isnt bad but the young lad much prefers gaming on pc than his 360 so ill pass it on to him.
    Budget of about 1k - 1.5 k.

I have a 5 week old XFX 6950 2gig so that should do me for gfx card for a bit or would the top end nvidias be a better choice?
    Im sorted for mouse/kb monitor etc, so i just need the case and components inside except the gfx card,ill also need W7.
    The brother got a new system built by hardwaresand.de a few months ago and is very happy with it so i thought id save myself any stress and do similar.

Normally if i need new gear i just do some quick research if i need a new gfx card etc so being honest im seriously out of touch with whats what these days so advice greatly appreciated :)

Just to note i was looking at this thread and wondering if i should go with the exact same components as that chap has a similar budget?http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056231193

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Yeah his rig's not a bad starting point. If you want to, since you'll have a good bit of money extra (€100, not including the cost saved by the GPU), maybe look into an i7 2600K, and maybe an SSD?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Serephucus wrote: »
    Yeah his rig's not a bad starting point. If you want to, since you'll have a good bit of money extra (€100, not including the cost saved by the GPU), maybe look into an i7 2600K, and maybe an SSD?

SSD would be nice. The new generation 'OCZ Vertex 3' SSD are being released around now but be sure to check out some reviews before committing to one.

I'd find it difficult to justify spending the extra cash on a 2600K over the 2500K processor, especially for a gaming rig. Your XFX 6950 may be unlockable to the performance of the 6970 - I haven't really looked into that though, so can't offer much advice there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Thanks guys, yeah i meant to say i definitely want to go with an SSD alongside maybe an F3.
    Something like this maybe?
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=31475&agid=1145&lb

Any other suggestions for a case or will the coolermaster 690 be sufficient?
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?agid=631&adp=0&aid=38379&lid=2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The C300 is great but C400s will be on the shelves shortly.

See, the trouble with me and SSDs, is that I either have one with just the OS - and maybe a couple of browsers or something - on it, in which case it's small (40GB or less), or I want a really big one (500GB+) to store all my games and applications.

As long as you don't mind picking and choosing which applications get installed where, then go for it. (This assumes of course that you have more than 100GB of applications, which you very well may not)

As for the case, that's a personal thing. As long as it's got at least semi-decent airflow, you're fine. After that, it's features and looks. Do you have any size restrictions? If not, I'd have a look at full tower cases. I usen't to like them myself, but after picking up an ATCS 840 last Summer, I won't be going back. The HAF 932 is a popular case. There's also the Antec 1200. Actually, there's a nice one caught my eye a couple of days back that's not a full tower. The Corsair 650.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Save yourself the €100 and get an i5 2500K instead if the i7 if its for gaming. You could put that towards another 6950 and xfire it into a beast.

Is the 6950 CF beating the 580 atm? Maybe :confused:

Edit: Yup, it beats every single nVida card across the board at HD resoultions.
    It also beats the 5970. 64+fps in Crysis. Nice

And imagine slapping a 6970 bios on top of them. (starting to drool here)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

jme2010 wrote: »
    Save yourself the €100 and get an i5 2500K instead if the i7 if its for gaming. You could put that towards another 6950 and xfire it into a beast.

Is the 6950 CF beating the 580 atm? Maybe :confused:

Yeah it is by a decent margin, I just bought two, problem is you are relying on games to have good support for two gpus and there are a few that don't (e.g. Metro 2033) so the 580 would be better in those cases.

I'm planning on unlocking and overclocking my two cards close to 6970 speeds, so they will then tear one 580 apart but still cost the same.

If you don't bother with OCing, get the 2500. The K variant is designed for overclocking.

That said though, it's a bit of waste getting a Sandy Bridge processor and not overclocking it. It's been made so ridiculously easy this time around that there's really no reason at all not to.

And no, if you're not OCing, the only reason you'd get a different cooler is for noise reasons.

Probably stick with the 2500K and cooler so.
    Damn hardwaresand insist i pick a gfx card with the configurator tool on their site.
    I had planned on them building but half tempted to give it a lash myself, never done so before,most ive done was gfx,card,ram,hd upgrades etc.
    My biggest concern is applying the cpu paste,i reckon i can manage the rest fine until i run into problems that is :P

• Advertisement

How close would you like to get to a 'silent' build?

The 690 II is a very 'open' case by design - so little in the way of sound dampening.

Serephucus wrote: »
    If you don't bother with OCing, get the 2500. The K variant is designed for overclocking.

They're pretty much the same price everywhere, it seems.

They won't install a large aftermarket cooler for you anyway as it can damage the motherboard in transit. Either way you'll have to do it yourself.

Also that memory might not fit with that cooler as it overhangs the DIMM slots a bit. You'll need ones without the heat-spreader sticking out above the RAM. I have that cooler with this memory and it fits nicely.

8GB-Kit Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333 CL9 - €68.26
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=38052&agid=1192

Hardwareversand seem to be broken so I can't give links but if you're spending that much money, perhaps bump up to a highly efficient PSU, e.g., 750W golden green or similar.

Points taken Sink thanks.
    Fnz yeah i like a silent pc, my current case is an Antec 900 and its whisper quiet but it only houses stock fans @ stock speeds with my Q6600.
    Anything you can suggest for a pretty quiet case?
    Monotype, when you can provide links do you mind suggesting something, as i say im totally out of the loop with pc hardware these days.

Thanks again guys.

The Fractal R3 is well known as a quiet case.

Antec P183. :)

As for building it, you'll be fine. It's really not difficult. If you're really unsure though there's a thread around here of people willing to build/teach, and where they're located. Might want to give that a look.

The Fractal Design Define R3 seems to be the new hotness in quiet cases. The (older) Antec 183 seems to come as a counter point during masturbatory R3 threads.

NZXT's H2 case is just out as well but generally reviews slightly worse than the R3. It does have some nice features but this review really put me off it.

I just got the R3, I stuck 4 extra fans in it and it can't really be called quiet any more, but it still is a nice case.

Ok looks like a change of plan may be in order, the wife is not keen on the young lad getting my current pc at all.
    As it is hes limited to gaming time on his 360 and is only 8 years old afterall so maybe she has a point.
    Im wondering if i should just upgrade instead of a whole new build?

Current spec is :

Antec 900
    Seasonic M12 700w PSU
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DSP3 mobo
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4
    4 gig OCZ platinum DDR2 PC 6400
    2 X 500 GB Samsung Spinsoft hard drives
    LG DVD burner

Will the Antec 900 be ok to add a new mobo,ram,cpu,and a SSD?
    Is the PSU alright?

That case and PSU will be fine.

You can throw everything on Adverts, and you can sub everything from your other build to the 900 with your existing PSU and you're good to go. The only trouble you might find yourself in is if you go to pick up a second 6950 down the line. 700W is probably a little low for CF.

• Advertisement

sink wrote: »
    I just got the R3, I stuck 4 extra fans in it and it can't really be called quiet any more, but it still is a nice case.

OT but did you buy silent fans? Did you remove any of the sound-dampening material to fit those extra fans? Are your other components loud - it's probably difficult for any case to reduce the sound from things like the PSU.

I'm hoping to use this case to build a quiet PC myself.

Fnz wrote: »
    OT but did you buy silent fans? Did you remove any of the sound-dampening material to fit those extra fans? Are your other components loud - it's probably difficult for any case to reduce the sound from things like the PSU.

I'm hoping to use this case to build a quiet PC myself.

Yeah I bought 3 of these.

Noiseblocker BlackSilent Pro Fan PK2 - 140mm
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=29623&agid=42

and 1 of these

Noiseblocker BlackSilent Pro Fan PL2 - 120mm
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=29614&agid=42

I had to remove the sound dampening material that covered the vent's.

The fans themselves are pretty much silent, most of the noise seems to becoming from the CPU cooler fans (Corsair A70), and with the sound dampening material removed it's very audible.

Hello again guys,ive been looking at the scan.co.uk and specifically their prebuilt systems 3XS or something they call them.
    Just wondering if they have decent rep with regards their building quality?
    Being honest i dont mind paying the extra if its built properly.

hardwaresand.de are pissing me about and havent answered my emails at all.
    Their stupid configurator wont allow me select a no graphics card option and insist i buy a gfx card so screw em tbh.

I was gonna go down the self build route but not sure yet, i still might do or grab one of the builders on here :) any builders near Kildare incase i run into trouble? :)

I've heard both good and bad things about Scan's 3XS systems, though I've never used them myself. I'd just get someone to build it for you. I'm in Kildare myself if you're near Maynooth.

Good stuff Serephucus, ill probably order the gear over next few days and see whats what.
    I might have a go myself first,ive stripped down my rig before and put it back together so im hoping ill be okay with it if not i might ask for your assistance if thats ok.
    Im sorted for transport so could come to maynooth no hassle if needed,thanks again.

No worries. If you've stripped and rebuilt your system before though you should be grand. It's not really any different than that.

Yeah im hoping ill be fine once i dont run into trouble that is.

What you guys think of this build?
    Ignore the first item on the list thats a mistake.

28956179.png

Looks like a nice one alright. What graphics card is going in there again?

I got a new ati 6950 2gig about 6 weeks ago that i plan sticking in.

Any thoughts on a cooler for the cpu?
    Something not too big and i suppose easy to install :)

• Advertisement

I've heard good things about the A70 from Corsair. If you're into water, the H50 also does very well with Sandy Bridge processors.

Advertisement