Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do in Dublin?

Options
  • 06-04-2011 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

Thanks for taking the time to read this, Ok so i am a Dub, but just trying to think of interesting, unique or nice places to see in dublin?

Even though i live here theres always new nd exciting things to do in all citys that sometimes we may have never thought of.

Maybe if people were interested or if the moderators allowed it we could make this a sticky thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Gae

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Try the zoo. It's actually fairly interesting. I'm not sure if they have a kind of tour were you can learn stuff but if you bring a packed lunch (I'm positive you can take your own food in), it's actually a grand way to spend the day.

Try the zoo. It's actually fairly interesting. I'm not sure if they have a kind of tour were you can learn stuff but if you bring a packed lunch (I'm positive you can take your own food in), it's actually a grand way to spend the day.
    Was there yesterday and and had a great time with the missus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Gardai Museum: Seriously it's a great little museum with a fab view from the top of the tower :)
    http://www.esatclear.ie/~garda/museum.html

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭shanehillview

Sundew wrote: »
    Gardai Museum: Seriously it's a great little museum with a fab view from the top of the tower :)
    http://www.esatclear.ie/~garda/museum.html

Hi Sundew, i'm planning on visiting the museum in August, just wondering if you could tell me whats its like, is it a proper tour with a tour guide or is it a tour that you wonder around yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Nhead

Kilmainham Jail is really interesting and a good little tour it shows what conditions were like for the prisoners.

The National Library has a WB Yeats exhibition which is free it is fantastic if you like Yeats.

Dublin Castle has a tour as well the building is beautiful inside.

Collins Barracks is worth a visit they usually have something interesting on and the Croppy Park is across from it too (I heard people were hanged from the blue bridge near there but I don't know if thats true).

The national muesum of art is great.

The Abbey, so much history.

Christchurch!

To be honest there are tons of historic things in Dublin. The first meeting of the Grand Orange Lodge was in Dublin in Dawson's St.
    http://comeheretome.wordpress.com/2011/05/03/plaques-of-dublin-grand-orange-lodge-of-ireland-dawson-street/

Mount St. Bridge where the volunteers of 1916 had one of their few successes:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/connellda03/3987553688/

Handel's Messiah was first performed in Dublin.

I'm sure people from Dublin know tonnes more!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ashlingoconor

Shopping! Great sales in grafton st. this week;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Hi Sundew, i'm planning on visiting the museum in August, just wondering if you could tell me whats its like, is it a proper tour with a tour guide or is it a tour that you wonder around yourself?

No you just wonder around it yourself but there is loads of great memorabilia.
    Old photos, uniforms,letters,service medals etc. They also have Garda records for genealogical research
    It is advisable to start at the top of the tower and work your way down to the bottom. I think it is only open till 12.30 on Saturday though I once rang the bell on a Saturday and couldn't get in. Your best bet is to visit on a weekday or make an appointment for a Saturday.
    If you are interested in "The Gardai" or "Irish History" then you will really enjoy the exhibition.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭shanehillview

Sundew wrote: »
    No you just wonder around it yourself but there is loads of great memorabilia.
    Old photos, uniforms,letters,service medals etc. They also have Garda records for genealogical research
    It is advisable to start at the top of the tower and work your way down to the bottom. I think it is only open till 12.30 on Saturday though I once rang the bell on a Saturday and couldn't get in. Your best bet is to visit on a weekday or make an appointment for a Saturday.
    If you are interested in "The Gardai" or "Irish History" then you will really enjoy the exhibition.

Thanks for the info Sundew. Looking forward to paying a visit.

Advertisement