Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SU Elections - All Campaign Info Here

Options
  • 06-04-2011 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭

SU Election Candidates: Please use this thread for the posting of manifestos and general campaign 'advertising'.

Any other thread on this matter will simply be merged with this to stop the forum being spammed, since you're going to post in each other's threads anyway.

Also please read the charter. Welcome to boards :).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Block G Raptor

Voting takes place on the 14th
    candidates include
    Pres. Louise Dwyer
    Vinny McGrane
    and two others whom i cant remember names

VP/welfare officer. Aideen Hartnett
    Kevin Farrell

Clubs and Socs. Dave Smith
    Ciara Meldon
    Entertainment . Brian Carpenter
    A.N. Other

there the ones I know of there may be more

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Dissenter

Can part-time students vote in this?

If so, has the SU made any arrangements to facilitate part-time/evening students who don't come into college until later in the evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Can part-time students vote in this?

If so, has the SU made any arrangements to facilitate part-time/evening students who don't come into college until later in the evening?

Yup part time students can vote. Wouldn't really make sense if they couldn't.

As for your second question, I've no idea. Hopefully though. People always underestimate the impact voting has, and the number of people who do vote is awful.

KonFusion wrote: »
    Yup part time students can vote. Wouldn't really make sense if they couldn't.

As for your second question, I've no idea. Hopefully though. People always underestimate the impact voting has, and the number of people who do vote is awful.

Thanks KF. They definitely haven't facilitated evening voting to facilitate part-timers. Is there anyone from the SU using this forum? Maybe they could clarify the situation?

And, maybe anyone running could post their manifestos up here and tell us why they think we should vote for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brendanL

don't know if the individuals are allowed campaign yet... so manifestos may not appear just yet. So far as I know, there is 0 compensation made for part timers.

just a day of voting from so far as I remember 10ish to 4 or something like that... your either their or your not.. that's was the college's stance on it obviously the last few years.
    Deffinately not cool... but people have to man the voting box's so more then likely it's cost rather then actually having something against part timers that causes them to be a bit ignored.

• Advertisement

brendanL wrote: »
    don't know if the individuals are allowed campaign yet... so manifestos may not appear just yet. So far as I know, there is 0 compensation made for part timers.

just a day of voting from so far as I remember 10ish to 4 or something like that... your either their or your not.. that's was the college's stance on it obviously the last few years.
    Deffinately not cool... but people have to man the voting box's so more then likely it's cost rather then actually having something against part timers that causes them to be a bit ignored.

Cheers Brendan.

Easy solution if cost is the issue:
    Hold the ballot from 12.30-6.30pm instead of 10am-4pm. Same number of hours of manned ballot box, so presumably the same cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭dueyfinster

Dissenter wrote: »
    Cheers Brendan.

Easy solution if cost is the issue:
    Hold the ballot from 12.30-6.30pm instead of 10am-4pm. Same number of hours of manned ballot box, so presumably the same cost.

Try quote the Croke Park deal, dunno how far ye'd get :D:D:D

Try quote the Croke Park deal, dunno how far ye'd get :D:D:D

Haha :D Not sure the ITB SU is actually a Union though, is it? More of a social/event organising group. Are they affiliated with any of the Unions?

Haha :D Not sure the ITB SU is actually a Union though, is it? More of a social/event organising group. Are they affiliated with any of the Unions?

As far as I know, they are affiliated to USI, which in turn is affiliated to one of the trade unions, or maybe it's ICTU (the union catch-all group). They are definitely a union and have organised protests etc.

The staff of ITB actually look after the election (as the SU typically re-run or drop out of it each year), which is what I meant :D They are all unionised as far as I know, the majority of lecturers are members of TUI (at least their organiser, one of my lecturers, tells me so!).

But yeah +1 they should extend voting hours. Part timers are definitely second class citizens at ITB (and I suspect the majority of other campuses around Ireland).

As far as I know, they are affiliated to USI, which in turn is affiliated to one of the trade unions, or maybe it's ICTU (the union catch-all group). They are definitely a union and have organised protests etc.

The staff of ITB actually look after the election (as the SU typically re-run or drop out of it each year), which is what I meant :D They are all unionised as far as I know, the majority of lecturers are members of TUI (at least their organiser, one of my lecturers, tells me so!).

But yeah +1 they should extend voting hours. Part timers are definitely second class citizens at ITB (and I suspect the majority of other campuses around Ireland).

Do they organise protests? The only one I can remember was actually a pro-management, anti-TUI protest last year? Probably a different lineup in the SU at that time though.

• Advertisement

Do they organise protests? The only one I can remember was actually a pro-management, anti-TUI protest last year? Probably a different lineup in the SU at that time though.

They did a protest about canteen food, where no-one except maybe 10-15 people used it. Lasted 2 or 3 days I think, and the quality improved for a while. The shop loved it, never had they sold so many overpriced sambos :pac:

This was when I was in first year, 2007.

They did a protest about canteen food, where no-one except maybe 10-15 people used it. Lasted 2 or 3 days I think, and the quality improved for a while. The shop loved it, never had they sold so many overpriced sambos :pac:

This was when I was in first year, 2007.

2007?!?! Militant! they've organised a lot of socials though since 2007, to be fair :cool:

Student President
    Lynsey Bell
    Louise Dywer
    Lorraine Gormley
    Darragh Mc Gill
    Vincent Mc Grane
    Vice President/ Welfare
    Kevin Farrell
    Aideen Hartnett
    Clubs and Societies Officer
    Ciara Mc Donald
    David Smith
    Entertainments Officer
    Brian Carpenter (As nobody ran against Brian he is elected to this post)
    Debate among all election candidates will take place in the Sports Hall on Tuesday 12th of April 12-2pm
    Voting will take place in the Sports Hall on Thursday 14th of April from 9am -4pm. Valid student cards only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 roadrunnerkev

Hi all,
    Sorry still trying to get used to this fourm,

Firstly I would like to introduce myself, my name is Kevin Farrell, I’m currently a 2nd year student studying Business in Information Technology, at the Institute of Technology Blanchardstown.

I started in the Institute of Technology in September 2009, enrolling in a Business in Information Technology Course. Since starting in the Institute I feel I have grown, matured and, overall, become a much happier and more rounded person, gaining valuable experience from fellow students and lecturers as an active class rep in my 1st year of studying here. It is because of these experiences both, as a class rep and as a student, that I would like to formally put my name forward to become your Vice President & Welfare Officer.

Now that we all know each other I will get straight to the point. There have been no arrangements for part time students to vote in this or any other election. They are expected to vote like any other student between the hours of 9 - 4 next Thursday.

Personally I feel the union has let you the part time students down, be it with the times the office is manned. It is my proposal and this is not included in my manifesto as it will have to be agreed by the other officers when elected, is that we keep the union office open 1 or 2 evenings per week.

As I said I’m not one for Boards so please follow me on facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Kevin-Farrell-For-Vice-Prisident-of-the-Students-Union-of-ITB/105635029520005

Kind Regards
    Your Vice President and Welfare nominee.

Kevin Farrell

Firstly I would like to introduce myself, my name is Kevin Farrell, I’m currently a 2nd year student studying Business in Information Technology, at the Institute of Technology Blanchardstown.

I started in the Institute of Technology in September 2009, enrolling in a Business in Information Technology Course. Since starting in the Institute I feel I have grown, matured and, overall, become a much happier and more rounded person, gaining valuable experience from fellow students and lecturers as an active class rep in my 1st year of studying here. It is because of these experiences both, as a class rep and as a student, that I would like to formally put my name forward to become your Vice President & Welfare Officer.

In choosing me as your Vice President & Welfare Officer, I will endeavour to help all students, with my communication, motivational and self confidence skills, which I have gained though my experience and through the modules I have studied. I hope to use these skills to help the entire student body when and if I am elected.

As the Vice President & Welfare Officer it will be my role to support the Student Union President at all times both on and off the campus where student related activities are concerned.

Having 3 years experience as the PRO for the Juvenile subcommittee, of my local club Kilbride GFC, I believe I have great experience in how issues are dealt with and how to conduct myself in formal situations, this has left me in good stead to become your Vice President & Welfare Officer.

As the Vice President & Welfare Officer I will work closely with all students to ensure any welfare or any other issues are resolved speedily and correctly.

This current academic year, I noticed, and I’m sure you also noticed, how frustrating it is trying to access exams results. If elected I will try my utmost to find a solution. I will propose the gradual phasing of results. This will mean results would be issued at different times.

As we find ourselves entering into one of the busiest times of the year academically, with the high volumes of CA, Group Projects and Reports all due, there is one area I feel that needs to be addressed and that is the Library opening times. Personally I have had the dreaded 9am CA or the dilemma that I have forgotten to print the notes off, only to run upstairs to find the Library closed. My proposal is that we change the opening times of the library to open that little bit earlier. I will however bring the case to the attention of the Librarian and the Library User Committee, and try and come up with a solution that will benefit both the Library staff and Students alike.

It is extremely important, that we as a union get the “mature” Students more actively involved in the college and attending more events and socials. I will endeavour to achieve this by working closely with the Mature Students Society, Student Services and, of course, listening to you the students.

It would not be an election campaign without mentioning the Canteen.
    The food in the canteen has improved, especially in the last couple of weeks. After talking with the head chef, David Snow, he ensures me that it is his plan to try and maintain the food at the current high standards. However, I do plan to see if we can get those standards even higher, it would also be my proposal to see if the prices in the canteen could be reduced.

The most important issue for me would be those issues raised by the student body. I will actively campaign on your behalf, on any issues you bring to my attention.

I firmly believe it would be my plan to further develop the work of our current Vice President & Welfare Officer, Mark Sherwin, by listening to you the students. My door will always be open.

Enough about me, this is YOUR Institute, YOUR experience, YOUR education, YOU need to make sure the right person is representing you.

Let’s IMPROVE the Institute.

Let’s IMPROVE your Education.

Make your Experience one of the best in your life, don’t they say college is the best years of your life.

This is your union and your say, make sure the person you vote for will carry your voice.

Thank you in Advance for your Support through this Campaign.

I can honestly say I was never frustrated by exam results, can you explain that further? Do you mean lecturers release CA results before?

We always know date/time they are released and they have to be corrected so I don't see the issue, sorry ;)

Canteen and the fact you talked to the chef is good, as I understand they are under new management?

I know your competitor is Aideen and I have known her for a few years and I know she'd be great at it, so my vote is with her. But it sounds like your running a good positive campaign and I remember you from the outdoor abseiling thingy :eek: Best of luck :D

Ok the Results this January were horrible with the system crashing, people could not get their results for many hours, and I feel this is too long. Lectures do not need to publish their results early. What I will do if and when elected is enter into talks with the Examination Office about staggering the results between the different departments, what this will mean is there will be less pleasure on the system and it will be less likely to crash.

As for the Canteen yes I have spoken to both the chef and the manager, they have both read my manifesto and are prepared to talk with me if and when I’m elected. The deal with the college is (and please correct me if I’m wrong) is we set out a tender for the canteen, the staff and/ or management does not change just the company.

Aideen is also a friend of mine but this is politics, so all I ask is you vote for the right person. The person who’s able to listen to you and voice you concern when and if need.

Good to finally hear from a candidate.

I reckon there's still time for the SU to extend voting hours this Thursday to include evening students. Any candidate that is seen to try to do this, will certainly increase their chances of picking up votes from part-time students, even more so if they manage to get the hours changed.

It's been mentioned too in another thread, about the amount of spammy, irrelevant emails we get from the college admin and lecturers. I think addressing that would be another point to add to manifestos.

I'll be voting anyway and my vote is still up for grabs ;)

I’m once again going to be completly honest with you all as I always am, in order to change the voting times , it would involve changing the constitution, under the time constraint this will not be possible, well that is my opinion. However if and when I get elected I will try change the constitution and indeed the voting times will be one of my first points as I do feel the need to have a more rounded college where all students are treated equally. This sadly is not the case with the voting arrangements.

Emails or should I say “All Students” is an issue which I would like to see addressed. Email is a vital tool in the communication process. However, it would be my proposal to introduce a “Dept Students”, this would mean that we do not get any email that does not concern us.

I would like to ask you to consider me for you vote, I am and will always be an honest person who will go out of the way to help you the student. My manifesto is live on this and indeed on facebook.
    Regards
    Kevin Farrell
    Running for the position of Vice President/ Welfare Officer

I'll definitely give you consideration for my vote Kevin, not least as you''re the only one so far who has bothered communicating with us.

I'd like to know your standpoint on the following issues first though:

Abortion
    EU/IMF takeover
    Marijuana
    Same-sex marriage
    US involvement in Libya
    US non-involvement in Cote d'Ivoire
    Ireland's oil and gas resource giveaway
    Ireland's involvement in an EU army or 'rapid response force'
    Media ownership and bias

• Advertisement

"I'd like to know your standpoint on the following issues first though:

Abortion
    EU/IMF takeover
    Marijuana
    Same-sex marriage
    US involvement in Libya
    Media ownership and bias"

Im not goin to give my opinion on any of the above, Appoligies

"I'd like to know your standpoint on the following issues first though:

Abortion
    EU/IMF takeover
    Marijuana
    Same-sex marriage
    US involvement in Libya
    Media ownership and bias"

Im not goin to give my opinion on any of the above, Appoligies

Yeah, sorry I was only kidding :)
    I should have added a smiley to the end of it :P

Abortions for some, miniature american flags for others!*

Let the modding begin!

* Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

This the same "Kev for Prez" posters I saw around A Block today?

Drodan wrote: »
    This the same "Kev for Prez" posters I saw around A Block today?

There's only one "Kev" running for Vice so I guess so.

It is indeed, I'm the only Kev running and the best person for the position of Vice President, I cannot stress how important it is that you all come out and vote for me on Thursday between 9 - 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Kadie

I beg to differ, if you take the time to read the manifesto's you'll find Kevins points are highly irrelevent to the position he is applying for and most points are beyond the power of his postion.

Aideen's manifesto is in the interest of students and their needs and is well within the power of Vice president.

Also, Kevin, you shouldn't be using dirty camplaign moves, your in enough trouble already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Aideen For Vice

My name is Aideen Hartnett; I am currently in my third year of a General Business Degree here at ITB. I am running for the position of Vice President of the Students Union.
    Reasons For running for Vice president:
    I have several reason for choosing to run for Vice President; I was elected class rep this year and took my role very seriously, this gave me a great insight as to what goes on in college behind the scenes. I’ve also taken a keen interest in the Students’ Union this year and thought to myself “this is something I really want to be a part of it”. I think that the Students’ Union does great work on behalf of the students and I want to put my ideas and thoughts to work, if elected.
    I am currently the CEO of the Swim team here at ITB. And from my time with the Club, I have found that having the correct structure and personnel in place hugely benefits the club and is key to any success. As you can see from the above the reasons, I felt I had to run for Students’ Union Vice President.
    Optimisms for the future:
    I will not make promises that I cannot keep and if elected vice president I do promise to be a voice for all students. I will be there to help students with any problems they may have.
    Students will always be able to approach me at any time and I will do my best to help them in any way possible, if I cannot answer or help them there and then I will make it my business to go and find the answers to their problems any follow up on them.
    I also hope to be a right hand woman for the Student Presedent and help him/her at all times, and fill in for them during absence.
    I hope to get in talks with both the IT department here at ITB and also the library committee to reslove the current computer and library problems that I have found to exist as a student.
    I also would hope to get involved in talks with the canteen manager to see what I can do about the current issuses involving the canteen, such as prices, opening times and also the range of choice available to students.
    I will try my best to get Student Class Reps a Training campaign and also possibly bring in a reward for the Job.
    I hope to put forward the ideas of the students, to support the student body and represent all students.

I feel I would be suitable for the position as I am willing to put in the time and effort into the job. I am approachable and reliable, so students should not hesitate to bring their ideas forward as they will be listened to, respected and acted on if at all possible.
    I believe that college should be a fun and sociable place to be, after all they are meant to be the best years of your life. As a result of this I would also look into encouraging more entertainment both on and off campus on a regular basis.
    Hope you use your vote wisely
    Looking forward to making your college a better place!
    Aideen Hartnett. Hopeful Future Vice President

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Aideen For Vice

dont forget the debate today at 12!! your chance to get all your questions answered :):):)

• Advertisement

I'll definitely give you consideration for my vote Kevin, not least as you''re the only one so far who has bothered communicating with us.

I'd like to know your standpoint on the following issues first though:

Abortion
    EU/IMF takeover
    Marijuana
    Same-sex marriage
    US involvement in Libya
    Media ownership and bias

Should be a mandatory question if you ask me. I am a big issue person too!* :D:D

*Not the magazine

Advertisement