Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SU Elections - All Campaign Info Here

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Block G Raptor

I have to say that this campaign has taken a very very nasty turn this year! I would like to remind people to look beyond the slagging and begrudgerry that certain candidates have engaged in and to read the manifesto's and vote based on which candidate understands the role and has the best, implementable, policies for the students which they wish to represent. The election has a real feel of a popularity contest and the most popular or spectacular person in the debates is not neccesary the best person for the Job

well thats my 2 cents worth :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 roadrunnerkev

Dissenter wrote: »
    Did something happen at the debate? Did it get personal or something?

Yes but hey that is Politics, Onwards and Upwards (Hopefully into the SU Office as your Vice President), All I have to say now is Vote 4 Kev 4 Vice Prez!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Dissenter

Yes but hey that is Politics, Onwards and Upwards (Hopefully into the SU Office as you Vice President), All I have to say now is Vote 4 Kev 4 Vice Prez!

Oops, accidentally deleted my previous post while editing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Threads merged to tidy up the forum.
    I have to say that this campaign has taken a very very nasty turn this year! I would like to remind people to look beyond the slagging and begrudgerry that certain candidates have engaged in and to read the manifesto's and vote based on which candidate understands the role and has the best, implementable, policies for the students which they wish to represent. The election has a real feel of a popularity contest and the most popular or spectacular person in the debates is not necessarily the best person for the Job

Slagging and begrudgery eh? Sound's like politics alright. I don't think some students understand the large impact the SU will have on the college year they're elected for, and I do mostly agree with what you're saying.

Damn wish I didn't miss the debates now :D

I'm sure very few students actually read the manifestos. And the number of students who vote compared to how many students are in the college is pretty awful.

It's also annoying to be spammed everywhere you go with election posters that (Vinny's being the exception I think) simply ask you to vote without giving you any idea on what the candidates policies are or any indication as to why they're running in the first place. Just because I see someone's face plastered on the wall a hundred times doesn't mean I'm going to vote for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭lorsric

Nothing surprises me about the SU elections in Blanch.
    Was a rep there and found that there are so many people who judge and will put you down based on the secondary you went to and how you sound, this is a display of lack of maturity on their part.

My advice and some words of wisdom - do the job, you are there to represent, not to boost your social life and that of your friends.
    When it comes to social events, you as a representative get a ticket, but what entitles your friends of friends to, when students pay?

Be worthy of the role and not simply in it because of popularity, being on the football team is not a reason to get elected - only perhaps to clubs and socs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Aideen For Vice

lorsric wrote: »
    Nothing surprises me about the SU elections in Blanch.
    Was a rep there and found that there are so many people who judge and will put you down based on the secondary you went to and how you sound, this is a display of lack of maturity on their part.

My advice and some words of wisdom - do the job, you are there to represent, not to boost your social life and that of your friends.
    When it comes to social events, you as a representative get a ticket, but what entitles your friends of friends to, when students pay?

Be worthy of the role and not simply in it because of popularity, being on the football team is not a reason to get elected - only perhaps to clubs and socs.
    In response to this matter i am not doing this for a popularity boost! i want to get involved in what the union do and be part of a change, i want to be the voice for the students here at ITB and personally i think the whole "get a free ticket" should be gotten rid of as everyone shud have to pay unless you are actually going as the designated person from the union at the event...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭lorsric

I know not everyone has selfish motivation, which I am delighted to see.
    Fair play, if only everyone running had such good and noble intentions.
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭dueyfinster

Total votes cast - 683

Clubs and Societies
    Ciara Mc Donald 367
    David Smith 301

Vice- President
    Kevin Farrell 325
    Aideen Hartnett 349

Student President
    Lyndsey Bell 62
    Louise Dwyer 108
    Darragh Mc Gill 223
    Lorraine Gormley 207
    Vincent Mc Grane 75

Ronan Keaskin
    Election Officer

Congrats Aideen, commiserations Vinny!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

Raging for Vinny, would of done a great job. Congrats to those who won

Hmmm.....Extremely happy with one turnout...not so happy with another...oh well can't have everything.

Who the hell is Darragh Mc Gill??...I mean ehh....all hail the new overlord! :p (seriously though who is he?)

Hard luck Vinny :(

Congrats to Ciara and Aideen :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Soul Cake Duck

Hard luck Vinny...you should have got it last year and this year if you ask me.

Thankful for other results tho!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Aideen For Vice

KonFusion wrote: »
    Hmmm.....Extremely

Who the hell is Darragh Mc Gill??...I mean ehh....all hail the new overlord! :p (seriously though who is he?)

Hard luck Vinny :(

Congrats to Ciara and Aideen :)

Firstly thanks for everyone who voted for me and i look forward to being your voice next year .. dont hesitate to contact me either here or on facebook...

in answer to your question Darragh is a fourth year general business student.. you may remember him from being on tv shows such as boozed up abroad :)..
    next year will be a fun one for everyone, one things for sure he's a guy who knows how to have fun :):)

in answer to your question Darragh is a fourth year general business student.. you may remember him from being on tv shows such as boozed up abroad :)..
    next year will be a fun one for everyone, one things for sure he's a guy who knows how to have fun :):)

Ha, better than banged up abroad I suppose :P. Good stuff. Thanks for the reply.

Advertisement