Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anti theft software

• 06-04-2011 7:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone any experience with anti-theft products for PCs? It's for a Desktop not a laptop.

Would anyone know a good one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Can't say I do since our desktops are behind locked doors.
    Although I understand that PC towers could get stolen too, particularly in libraries and schools and similar.

Perhaps something like this?
    http://www.brigadoonsoftware.com/pcphonehome.html
    There may be cheap or free similar products out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I'd highly recommend TrueCrypt.

http://www.truecrypt.org/
    Free open-source disk encryption software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X, and Linux

Main Features:
    Creates a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mounts it as a real disk.

Encrypts an entire partition or storage device such as USB flash drive or hard drive.

Encrypts a partition or drive where Windows is installed (pre-boot authentication).

Encryption is automatic, real-time (on-the-fly) and transparent.

Parallelization and pipelining allow data to be read and written as fast as if the drive was not encrypted.

Encryption can be hardware-accelerated on modern processors.

Provides plausible deniability, in case an adversary forces you to reveal the password:

Hidden volume (steganography) and hidden operating system.
    More information about the features of TrueCrypt may be found in the documentation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I came across this free open source one http://preyproject.com/ but I'd wonder how good it is being free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,315 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

ScumLord wrote: »
    Has anyone any experience with anti-theft products for PCs? It's for a Desktop not a laptop.

Would anyone know a good one?
    http://www.absolute.com/en/lojackforlaptops/features.aspx

Encrypting your folders wouldn't go amiss either if you're using sensitive data.

There's a lot of work stuff on the PC that I can't lose I don't know how sensitive it is but overall I built myself an ubberputer and have become emotionally attached to it, if any one stole it I want to be able to hunt them down and and unload an ass hooping on them. :D

• Advertisement

I use TrueCrypt too, it's good but won't locate the computer for you.
    But encryption in conjunction with a locator and also off-site automatic backup means that if your computer gets stolen you'll still have your info secure and a chance to get the computer back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Sean^DCT4

Is there any GPS tracking hardware for towers? There's been a good few burglaries in my area and I have been looking for something that is not software based as if it's formatted it's not going to be any use.

I had come across a PCMCIA card earlier on but for some reason I can't find it again in my history. It had an alarm and motion sensor plus could lock wipe the laptop and ring home.

thanks, I should have mentioned I have a tower not a laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

you could get a PCMCIA card reader for the tower that would prob be an option

• Advertisement

Two pounds of semtex inside the tower and a mercury tilt switch, sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

think Biko is talking sense. Go for it.

biko wrote: »
    Two pounds of semtex inside the tower and a mercury tilt switch, sorted.

Any links for the tilt switch? :D

Sean^DCT4 wrote: »
    Any links for the tilt switch? :D
    He could tell you but he'd have to kill you... Actually he might as well just give you the link. :pac:

I installed that free one I posted earlier prey, don't know how I'll go about testing it tonight?

Advertisement