Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurants in Douglas

Options
  • 06-04-2011 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, we're heading to Cork for the weekend before Easter and are staying at the Rochestown Park. It coincides with an anniversary so just wondering if anyone can recommend a restaurant in Douglas for a romantic meal? I've checked Menupages but you can't beat a bit of local knowledge :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Im a big fan of ecos in douglas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Another vote for Ecos here.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Yep Eco's gets a vote from me too.
    But also try Amicus or lal Quila Indian

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

You cant beat an ecos chicken stir fry half rice half chips however be aware ecos isnt every bodys cup of tea its normally busy and depending on where your sitting it can be fairly cramped even claustrophobic. Great food and good value, deserts yumy. Book well in advance and ask about the best table for a romantic meal.

Amicus is ok, east village is grand as is barrys. None id describe as particularly romantic.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Oh I missed the Romantic part :o

Haveli (indian) near Tesco would be quieter and decent food.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭zoby

I always find Ecos very squashed so for a romantic meal its a no-go (imo!)

I cant think of anywhere particularly romantic in Douglas maybe you would be better to stick to room service :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Olidolly

Have to agree with earlier posts- Amicus is ok, east village is grand as is barrys. . Eco fine but very claustaphobic. -

If it has to be Douglas then I would suggest El Vino. It's not very big, but definitely has more of a romantic feel than any of the others. If you do go, be sure and ask for a window or side table (not one in the middle of the floor). Regardless of where you are going, make sure you book in advance - there's no recession in Cork on a Friday night !

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

I always find Amicus very cold, they seem to have the aircon up very high. Certainly Ecos is cosier. You'll only be a short busride from the city centre if you want more choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Kazbah wrote: »
    I always find Amicus very cold, they seem to have the aircon up very high. Certainly Ecos is cosier. You'll only be a short busride from the city centre if you want more choice.

true, but that's why I love Amicus in Douglas, the place seems so fresh because it's not crammed or over-heated, not ideal for some but perfect for me.

The other half likes Eco but I really don't see the attraction, the food is only OK and as already mentioned here, it's cramped big time.
    The staff can be a bit rude too, especially the owner/manager, he's not a nice lad at all, arrogant really.

Nakon Thai is nice but I think the dining area could do with a facelift, the food however is very good.
    I've heard good things about El Vino alright, it looks nice but I've never been.

I was never too impressed with Barrys for food but I went there with a friend a while back for some food and a pint and I was well impressed, tasty food without the pretentiousness that can often plague a Douglas food establishment;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

The restaurant upstairs in East Village is really nice, had some amazing food there a few weeks ago. It's not all 'candles n dim lighting' romantic but it's pretty nice and Id totally go there on a date night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Thanks for all your tips everyone, we'll be there for 3 nights so will definitely give Eco a try on one of the nights anyway - thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭dodger50

If you are looking for more formal dining Maryborough House Hotel has a restaurant called Zings - about a ten minute walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

dodger50 wrote: »
    If you are looking for more formal dining Maryborough House Hotel has a restaurant called Zings - about a ten minute walk away.

More like 20mins in fairness. And its all uphill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Hogzy wrote: »

But on the plus side you can roll home.. downhill all the way :D

Hogzy wrote: »

Good grief.
    As I take such a slight so seriously ;) I checked Google Earth and ...
    Rochestown Hotel to Maryborough Hotel is .74 mls
    going through Maryborough Estate (there are two walking paths which cut through and only the last few hundred yards are uphill).
    Rochestown Park to Ecos is all of .64 mls.
    If it takes you 20mins to walk from one hotel to the other you must be walking at just over 2 mls per hr !!!!!
    Sure you are facing forwards?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Go walk that, its easily 20 minutes. Make sure you start and finish at reception so as not to be cheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Now factor in a woman in heels doing it everyone know thats about half normal walking speed :)

I think someones goin to have to get a pair of heels on and walk it to settle the argument . Nice day for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Go walk that, its easily 20 minutes. Make sure you start and finish at reception so as not to be cheating.

Absolutely, You could hardly jog it in ten mins. Getting back tot he OP question.

For quiet cosy romanic El Vino's is nice, I would happily recommend it. It differemt. But to warn you it is tapas etc.

Balmed Out wrote: »

.74 miles door to door

High heels? Aren't we making assumptions here about the OP's partner?

As regards testing it - that's why we have computers!

Since so many posters seem to think it too much to walk for about 10 mins at average walking speeds, I am more than happy to collect the OP and partner and drive them to Maryborough House, should they choose it smile.gif !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Thanks for all the diligent research guys and for your kind offer dodger50...no problems walking up a hill here. Herself wasn't going to wear heels but when I told her about this thread she changed her mind, since it's what seems to be expected in Cork!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

A friend of mine went for an interview in Eco's for Chef and she said the Manager/Owner was not nice at all - another poster mentioned that. Have been to Eco's twice (with visitors) but personally I would not go there again - I find the food is what you would cook yourself at home so not very exciting for me - and the tables are on top of each other but it gets the customers in, obviously people don't mind being on top of each other. I don't think there is anywhere romantic to eat in Douglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MissRetro

I would recommend Bully's Restaurant. Although I haven't actually been to the one in Douglas yet, I've heard nothing but good about it. The one in town has been my favourite restaurant in the city for many years! Very good menu, pastas, pizzas, steaks, salads etc and reasonably priced also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Could anyone give me some advice on booking a table for two at Eco's. I've read it can be a bit cramped, so looking for the best possible option on which table to book.

Here's the seating plan. http://www.eco.ie/book-table-douglas-cork

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Oleander wrote: »
    A friend of mine went for an interview in Eco's for Chef and she said the Manager/Owner was not nice at all - another poster mentioned that.

that would have been me and yep, I didn't find the chap to be a nice a nice host.

Advertisement