Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting the deposit back?

Options
  • 06-04-2011 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

Ok so there's three of us in the house and its student privately rented accommodation. When we went to change the names on the bill to our own we decided that we would pay the bills in cash because we didn't want to start a direct debit and close it down 8 months later. We payed the 300 euro deposit and all of our bills on time. We are moving out at the end of may and were wondering how much notice we have to give to close the account and get back our deposit. It also says on the website, although I probably misinterpreted it, that the deposit is given back to you in the form of ESB credit? We are 3 students who wont be living together again so is there any way to get it back in cash since that's the way we payed it? Thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi Taylor21,

We can refund the deposit for you in the form of a cheque. Initially what happens is that the €300 is credited when the account is closed, offsetting the final bill. If your final bill is for (say) €100, the total would then show as €200 credit.

This credit can then be refunded by cheque. Either email us or ring 1850 372 372 to organise this.
    Taylor21 wrote:
    we are moving out at the end of may and were wondering how much notice we have to give to close the account

A customer wouldn't generally be required to give notice of account closure, except in the case where they need the electricity disconnected. The following link may be of some use (if you haven't checked it already):

- All about moving out

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.

Thanks,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭TheRealSquishy

Thanks a million that's 1 less thing to worry about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Decky86

i was also wondering this.. i am not moving house, or switching supplier though.
    but i heard the deposit is refunded after 18 months?
    is this true? thanks :)

Hi Decky86,

The security deposit should be automatically refunded within 14 months (or six cleared bills).

Thanks,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Hi david,

Just don't wanna start a new thread and its almost the same topic,Currently in a private rented house and paying by direct debit, When is its best to ring up and cancel our account for the house(Departure day or A day or 2 before)?

• Advertisement

Hi Bummer1234,

As long as you remember to take a final meter reading when you're leaving, you needn't ring up on the day itself (we understand if have plenty on your plate that day). :)

The main thing is to take all the relevant details, and ring up within a reasonable time frame (a week would be fine, but we wouldn't advise leaving it any longer than that).

The following link should provide all the information you need:

- All about moving out

Hope that helps,

Thanks,

David.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 EternalCowboy

Hi David,

I hope you might be able to answer my query regarding the deposit.

I understand that this is refunded in the form of a cheque, however I will be moving back to Australia. Will ESB be able to send this cheque to my Australian address? Alternatively, is it possible to have the money refunded into a bank account instead?

Thanks for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi EternalCowboy,

A cheque can indeed be sent to your Australian address.

In terms of a refund to your bank account, this can only be done if you have a direct debit already set up.

Regards :)
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Hi David,

I switched my electricity from the EBS to Bord Gais, am I still entitled to this refund? I don't remember it being taken off my final bill. I haven't switched address and the bills are in my name etc.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Teyla Emmagan,

Can you send me your account details by PM?

Regards :)
    Una

• Advertisement
Advertisement