Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much for an au pair?

Options
  • 06-04-2011 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm potentially going to France to work as an au pair with 3 kids in the 9-10 age group for a few weeks They've asked me how much I want to be paid. I mainly just want to learn French, but I don't want to be totally broke either and I don't want to seem rude/greedy . How much is reasonable to ask?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

About 50-75 euros a week if you're getting full board and meals maybe? Three kids 9-10 - are they from they same family?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

I'd advise you to find out in advance of the hours/days you'll be expected to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Wantobe is correct, a lot will depend on the hours you are expected to do, and responsibilities (ie only play with kids, or also homework help/ masking meals? Are you expected to do their laundry and pick up their rooms? If they go to school, do you have free time or are the parents wanting you to do light housework? How many evenings a week are you on-duty?). Also, are they paying for your travel? Do you have use of a car/ get a bus pass for your free time use?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

The kids will be on holidays so I'll be with them most of the time, I assume I'm doing light cleaning(dishwasher/washing machine/kids rooms/general tidying), they have summer homework so I'll help with that and cooking for the kids but not the whole family. I'm living with them so I know I'm paying for flights but I don't know what the story is with buses and such. I can't drive so I'm not using the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

Have a look here:

Au Pair Q & A

Even if you don't use this agency, there's lots of information, for example:
    How much money will I get?

This will depend on how many hours you work:

Aupair Companion: This means that the Aupair is in the company of an adult most of the time, normally the mother of the children. She works a 30 hour week and is asked to baby-sit two evenings per week (never more than one evening at the weekend) she has two afternoons and evenings free, plus a day off at the weekend. She receives pocket money of €90 per week.

Aupair Minder: In this case the mother is working part-time, so the Aupair is totally responsible for the children for up to 35 hours per week. Free time is the same for the Aupair Companion. Pocket money is €100 per week.

Aupair Plus: This is where the mother is working full-time so the Aupair is responsible for the children while the mother is away at work. She has, however, only one evening of baby-sitting per week and normally has the whole weekend free. She receives €115 per week

The important thing is to agree in advance exactly what are your responsibilities and what hours you will be asked to work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement