Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College books

Options
  • 06-04-2011 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Hello, just wondering, do you have to pay for third-level books or are they covered by any government scheme. If you have to pay, what is the average price for a law or arts booklist?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭40040D

You you have to pay for them yourself, they are usually quite expensive so have a look around you might pick up 2nd hand ones that are just as good. Try adverts.ie

Maybe contact the student's union of the college you are attending to see if any students have some lying around

Don't buy books, most colleges have an libraries and will order in books if given enough notice.

Most books are free in the library of your college. I do science and I haven't had to buy a single book, and I'm 99% sure it's the same for arts. All are available in the library. If something's not available in your library you can usually get a pass to another library to get it. Can't say about law. There's a good chance you'll end up doing most of your study in the library anyway so it makes more sense to stick to the ones there anyway.

Edit: Beaten to it, but yeah what Dónal said :)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭goose1

cx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Others have said it but I'll add my voice to theirs.

Don't buy books.

In first year, buy at most *one* book, a good general introduction to your discipline. That can be your jumping-off point for further research and lets you look up stuff you have no clue about without having to run off to the library.

Everything else you will ever need will be in the library. Seriously. Learn the ins and outs of the catalogue. Learn how to use the databases effectively. Learn how to tell which books are useful and which ones aren't.

Even then, you won't need to buy books.

• Advertisement
Advertisement