Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your dealings with the Gardaí - positive or negative?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

Personally, I've had mixed reactions.

Just like normal people, some are sound some are pricks.

My self an a mate got out of a taxi pretty late in our home town and an unmarked squad car just pulled up, and gave us a hard time for no reason...They were just on a power trip.

A friend of mine was assaulted and they were noting but sound.

Was acting the maggot after a night out back in college days, they seen me, they just told me to cop on when they could have done more.

One of my friends from school days is a Guard, he was out drinking with us, he was from the country, and seen a 'Townie' and suspected that he was drinking and driving, he called it in. Yet, on another occasion, a fella from the country did the exact same thing, he did nothing.

On a professional bases, I'm an underwriter for an insurance company, I deal with Garda queries daily; I come across some of them that are just out to get people, some that are just doing routine checks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Yes
    ScumLord wrote: »
    Did you get a free snack box and 8 cups of tea? They make really nice cups of tea, I'm pretty sure there's cocaine in it.

I got offered a sandwich by a female Garda, but ended up eating some biscuits. I ate them very very slowly, just to annoy the Gardai who were questioning me. They were pissing me off at that stage and my patience was wearing thin.

Next time, I'll ask for one of these snack boxes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

I saw a Garda smoking a fag whilst driving a squad car today. Good to see that our law enforcement seem to think that they themselves are above the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Yes
    ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    I saw a Garda smoking a fag whilst driving a squad car today. Good to see that our law enforcement seem to think that they themselves are above the law.

I saw one injecting heroin between his toes wth one hand, driving the car with his other foot and giving himself a handjob with the other hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Mixed. Decidedly mixed. When my house was broken into, they were great, but most other occasions when I dealt them, they were a bit uh... less... than... great.

EDIT:

I should add, all interaction in a "I need to report a crime" context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Yes
    Totally positive,even when I've been caught doing stupid things like peeing in the alley behind O'Connell Street and walking down the road with a beer on my way to the bus stop.They gave me an auld lecture but let me off in the end.

If they catch you doing something stupid,just be honest and own up and admit to it and don't act like a prick.Majority of people who end up in trouble with the Gardai are people who give them attitude.

Kill them with kindness basically!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It's all going to depend on which Garda you meet. We all know there are plenty of dipsh!t Gardai out there, but for each one of them there are 100's more that are sound.

And it'll depend on where you are too. City Gardai are notoriously more stubborn and angry than country Gardai, they have to be. Country folk are nicer to the Gardai* but in the city there are a helluva lot more scum, and scum exploit weakness. I know a few Gardai who, after being transferred from a city station to a country station completely changed their attitude.

Also, keep in mind that the Gardai talking nicely to a bunch of students drinking in a green is seen as dereliction of their duty by another person, while going hard on the same students would be seen as over-reacting or abusing their power, for example.

General rule is to be nice, even if they're being a prick. If they do something which you think is illegal or un-called-for, thats what the Garda Ombudsman is for.

*in general

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Always liked Guards. I grew up around a lot of them & their kids & found them all to be fine.
    Now I've moved to a new area & a few of them are my neighbours, give or take a few miles, I still find them grand.
    I've never dealt with them during their day job, it's more a neighbourly/ social thing.

Once or twice I've come across complete assholes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Yes
    amacachi wrote: »
    Nothing but negative; semi-literacy,

Surely more a reflection on the standards of the leaving cert.
    ignorance of the law,

I'm sure it was them that was ignorant and you know your rights
    illegal search of a minor,

How so?
    trying to turn me into a grass,

What are you a contract killer or something?
    using my name over their radio,

You'd prefer they used smoke signals?
    not responding to a fight involving machetes. etc.

Sounds dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

It's all going to depend on which Garda you meet. We all know there are plenty of dipsh!t Gardai out there, but for each one of them there are 100's more that are sound.

And it'll depend on where you are too. City Gardai are notoriously more stubborn and angry than country Gardai, they have to be. Country folk are nicer to the Gardai* but in the city there are a helluva lot more scum, and scum exploit weakness. I know a few Gardai who, after being transferred from a city station to a country station completely changed their attitude.

Also, keep in mind that the Gardai talking nicely to a bunch of students drinking in a green is seen as dereliction of their duty by another person, while going hard on the same students would be seen as over-reacting or abusing their power, for example.

General rule is to be nice, even if they're being a prick. If they do something which you think is illegal or un-called-for, thats what the Garda Ombudsman is for.

*in general

It's a thankless job but the nature of it demands that any corruption/piss taking etc should be dealt with strictly. Unfortunately some cases in the past highlight what happens when they aren't dealt with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Since you asked...
    k_mac wrote: »
    Surely more a reflection on the standards of the leaving cert.
    Well anything I do is a reflection on Ireland's history of being colonised then.
    I'm sure it was them that was ignorant and you know your rights
    "Is there penalty points for this?"
    "I don't know."

EDIT: Also one seemed very confused about what a "Yield" sign means.
    How so?
    Stopped and searched a 16 year old without giving a reason and without informing anyone. Gave no reason afterwards either.
    What are you a contract killer or something?
    Yup, that's why I post here so much.
    You'd prefer they used smoke signals?
    Since it was to either log a search or to mention that they were going to get in contact with me again to find out who was dealing drugs I'd rather they didn't do it over the radio. Is it only in this town that people have scanners?
    Sounds dangerous.
    It didn't sound very dangerous to them it would seem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Yes
    Sure thing bro.
    </trollface>

Fecking poll is public... dammit...

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

Interesting Thread title and opening question ruined by a mod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

fontanalis wrote: »
    It's a thankless job but the nature of it demands that any corruption/piss taking etc should be dealt with strictly. Unfortunately some cases in the past highlight what happens when they aren't dealt with.

It's like every organisation, there's problems everywhere, but like most other jobs most of it goes un-reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Donald_ducked

I've had to get a lot of things signed by the garda lately(age card, passport etc) and everytime I've went down to the station they've been very rude and abrupt. It's like they assume your a criminal just because your're young. I was waiting 15 mins at the desk for someone to come out to me even though they had seen me waiting. I rang the bell a second time and one of them shouted out ''have a bit of patience''

A woman in her sixties then came in the door looking to get something signed aswel and the garda was straight out to help. He even had to cheek to ask her was she alright before me! People always wonder why young people disllike the garda, it's this type of condescending ****e that gets the hatred runing through their veins from a young age. Respect is a two way street, I think they fail to grasp that or simply don't give a fook

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

I've had to get a lot of things signed by the garda lately(age card, passport etc) and everytime I've went down to the station they've been very rude and abrupt. It's like they assume your a criminal just because your're young. I was waiting 15 mins at the desk for someone to come out to me even though they had seen me waiting. I rang the bell a second time and one of them shouted out ''have a bit of patience''

A woman in her sixties then came in the door looking to get something signed aswel and the garda was straight out to help. He even had to cheek to ask her was she alright before me! People always wonder why young people disllike the garda, it's this type of condescending ****e that gets the hatred runing through their veins from a young age. Respect is a two way street, I think they fail to grasp that or simply don't give a fook

In fairness, you're more likely to get a few slaps when you're younger than when you're older from the Gardaí. Nothing against them but it's pretty much common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

i work in a job that has a lot of Gardai interaction, and most are all geniunely nice people who do a tough job. I mean, its the same as any job, you get the good and the bad, its just that they are in a public forum, so the "bad" ones get more press.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Generally any interaction I have had with them has been poitive. There have been a few incidents where I would be walking home , minding my own business and I would get stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭pawrick

The only major dealings I had with the Gardaí was getting passport applications signed at my local Garda Station - never ever had a problem. Don't really understand why people hate the Gardaí so much, they're only doing their job like the rest of us. They have to put up with a lot of bullshit from clowns sometimes.

The simple code really is; stay out of shit and then you'll have positive experiences with them.

never in trouble with them but ran in to a few pricks like in any walk of life and your example reminded me of one time asking one in my local station to sign my passport application - he wouldn't because he didn't know me? so by that logic I either have to be someone "known" to gardai or a mate of theirs? I had ID, old passport etc. with me for them to look over when signing the new application and pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭iangobl

I have huge respect for gaurds for doing such a difficult job and many ive just chatted to are always sound but of my few experiences most have been bad. They assume because your young (Im 20) that your drink driving and doing drugs etc. cant tell you the number of times ive been the only person breathalised at a checkpoint and 5-6 cars ahead of me are waved through.

Also had a nasty run in with an off duty gaurd. long story short he was trying to enforce a false law while off duty which when we refused assaulted a friend of mine and is now suing that friend for assault for pushing him away. guess thats the way the world works nowadays

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Shower of unhelpful egotistical bastards. Liars too. Its amusing to go and watch them in court and see them squirm, and lie their asses off.

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Shower of unhelpful egotistical bastards. Liars too. Its amusing to go and watch them in court and see them squirm, and lie their asses off.

Not like you to be so frank, enjoying a tipple in the sun today? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Not like you to be so frank, enjoying a tipple in the sun today? :P
    Broke out the beers for the football :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I've no time for them. Have had a few dealings with them outside of work. Stupid kind of stuff when walking home from the pub and they decide to roll up on a few lads walking. A few weeks back i was out but wasn't drinking and me a friend were stopped. He was pissing in a lane while i stood on the kerb. Despite my Irish accent and part of my name being in Irish they treated me like i was here illegally. I overheard clearly as i was sober one say to the other, "sure fúck it, give your man and the spic a warning".

I deal with them through work also and most i meet are absolute cabbages. Make the biggest deal outta everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Yes
    I've no time for them. Have had a few dealings with them outside of work. Stupid kind of stuff when walking home from the pub and they decide to roll up on a few lads walking. A few weeks back i was out but wasn't drinking and me a friend were stopped. He was pissing in a lane while i stood on the kerb.

Couldn't use a toilet no? What do you reckon they should just let people piss wherever they want? Of course there's no call for slurs after that but for crying out loud you want to get treated like an adult behave like one. Unless he had some medical reason and couldn't get to a toilet go piss somewhere else.

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Broke out the beers for the football :D

Go away. ¬_____¬

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

ItsAWindUp wrote: »

he should be sacked, is it against the law to smoke and drive ?

I presume the poster's making a reference to the smoking in the workplace thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

I've no time for them. Have had a few dealings with them outside of work. Stupid kind of stuff when walking home from the pub and they decide to roll up on a few lads walking. A few weeks back i was out but wasn't drinking and me a friend were stopped. He was pissing in a lane while i stood on the kerb. Despite my Irish accent and part of my name being in Irish they treated me like i was here illegally. I overheard clearly as i was sober one say to the other, "sure fúck it, give your man and the spic a warning".

I deal with them through work also and most i meet are absolute cabbages. Make the biggest deal outta everything.

Really? I find it hard to believe that a Gard would know, let alone say, the word 'spic'. Maybe a cop in the US, especially the border states, but here? Not calling you a liar, just slightly doubting that part of the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I wouldn't say that, I rang them once because someone was trying to commit suicide and they told me it wasn't their problem. Same goes if someone's trying to break into your house, it's no biggy be there once we're sure their gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

I wouldn't say that, I rang them once because someone was trying to commit suicide and they told me it wasn't their problem. Same goes if someone's trying to break into your house, it's no biggy be there once we're sure their gone.

Really? Who are we supposed to ring then if it's not their problem?

Really? I find it hard to believe that a Gard would know, let alone say, the word 'spic'. Maybe a cop in the US, especially the border states, but here? Not calling you a liar, just slightly doubting that part of the story.

I've heard it - not from guards - around the midlands a good few times, to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Pauleta wrote: »
    If you are nice to them, they will return the favour.

You're probably right, but what significance does that actually have in the context of law enforcement?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭yoppo

Mine was a mixed bag. Over Christmas I was semi-drunk and my friend threw a Christmas wreath from a shop door across the road to me. I picked it up (as I didn't want it on the ground). I saw the guards coming and I thought, ok if I have it in my hand they will ask me what I'm doing for sure so I hid it behind my back... Wrong move! The squad car pulls up and asks me what i'm doing. I say "I picked it up off the ground". The male guard says "Your lying"... I said i'm not. The beangarda says "Stops being cheeky or I'll arrest you under the public order act". Cue me walking away.... Then my friend beside me who is 6'7 and plays rugby gets a bit clueless. They ask him his name and he says Micheal Jackson. He caves and tells them his real name... They ask him his address etc. When the garda walks away my friend mutters "Power trip"... We all were shocked... They let him go... The two guards were on a total power trip.

Really? Who are we supposed to ring then if it's not their problem?
    It stayed as my problem they just left. The guy in question was a bit of an ass and an attention seeker, they didn't know that they never saw him. The river was only ankle deep so when he jumped in it was a bit of a non issue, we helped him out and brought him home but still the guards didn't know any of this they just weren't bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

A lot of people know what the word spic is. They might not use it but they sure as Hell do know what it means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Dean0088 wrote: »
    I know there's a few Garda related threads going around at the minute but - have your dealings with the gardaí been positive or negative?

Most of my dealings are with the local Garda regarding firearms licensing. In that respect I can have no complaints.

But, I have had reason to be at another station not in my area. While we were treated with courtesy for the most part, the professionalism was sadly lacking when it came to efficiency, knowing their job, doing their job, and following up. In fact it was piss poor.

As it was a serious complaint I now have mixed feelings regarding the Gardai when "push comes to shove" important situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Had a few dealings with the Gardaí, never great.

At a NUIG RAG week saw male Gardaí beating the crap outta women as they tried a evacuate a random field where there was a rave.

At the student march in October, saw Gardaí acting thuggish again when they bet the crap outta hundreds of innocent people, was a matter of feet away from people with blood gushing from their face.
    Also, met a guard at protest where he said he knew my boss, was going to tell him I was at the protest and see what he thinks.

One Halloween, was punched outside a late night deli (guy was drunk and confused me for someone else), rang the guards to see if they'd throw him in a cell for the night, on the phone they said to come down to the station which took 20minutes, on my way down I saw 3 women that had been assaulted by both male and females (one of which I gave my costume to, to wipe the gushing blood from her face), between 12-15 guards "patrolling" a.k.a. walking around talking amongst themselves. When I got down, saw more people assaulted, the guard wouldn't take a report as I had had a drink even though they had asked me down there and the guy that had hit me was probably long gone home.

prinz wrote: »
    Couldn't use a toilet no? What do you reckon they should just let people piss wherever they want? Of course there's no call for slurs after that but for crying out loud you want to get treated like an adult behave like one. Unless he had some medical reason and couldn't get to a toilet go piss somewhere else.

So me standing on the kerb while a mate goes to piss down a lane is not behaving like an adult? Are you for real? I was just standing there doing nothing waiting and they grill me and refer to me in a racist slur while they thought i was out of ear shot. Yet i'm the one that needs to act like an adult?

Anyways the bouncer wouldn't let him use the bathroom before leaving and this was in a suburb with a 30 minute walk so nowhere open to use a toilet. He didn't exactly whip it out on O Connell Street in broad daylight. I think many people have been in a situation and which is why they just warned him not to do it again. A bit of common sense on their part. However my main point was the racist comment and why i have no time for them. Not once did i say it was because a mate was stopped for pissing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭YoureSoVain

I am a law abiding citizen and all round good person .....I always show the Gardai respect but have come to the conclusion that its the wrong thing to do....
    Don't want to get into anything major but just a couple of small things....Was driving along and someone drove into the back of my car then drove off. I called the guards. They put me into the paddywagon and checked my tax, insurance, nct, licence, tyres and lights. Asked my name, address, date of birth, occupation. Why? They didn't want to know anything about yer man who hit into me.
    Working in a shop one Christmas we reported Travellers who had robbed boxes of chocolates worth about 160 euro......Gardai called to shop and said " they'll never eat the red or green ones" . Didn't bother looking for any info on thieves

You'd be surprised how common it is here. A lot of Irish people use it to refer to Spanish people. However i'm of Mexican descent. Been called it loads of times while out and all my mates even refer to me as the spic. But that's just in a banter kind of way.

Try ask them to stamp a form. There's a line of about 20 of them rushing to help ye out.

You'd be surprised how common it is here. A lot of Irish people use it to refer to Spanish people.
    I thought it was a term for Spaniards taken from WW2. I'm sure I heard them use it in some old WW2 films.

I thought it was a term for Spaniards taken from WW2. I'm sure I heard them use it in some old WW2 films.

Maybe. The story i heard of its origin was from Italian immigrants to the US. They would say me no spic no English and people began calling them spics. Which then spread to Hispanics too. So i'm sure it made it back to Europe also.

prinz wrote: »
    Couldn't use a toilet no? What do you reckon they should just let people piss wherever they want?
    Unless they provide adequate public toilets it's hard to judge an animal for pissing when they need to. It's bad for your health to hold in piss, so I'd assume there's a case there for suing the local council for arresting people while not providing any way to legally carry out an essential bodily function.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 No Nonsence

Yes
    As some one whose work has brought me into numerous dealings with the gardaí I would be full of praise for them. I have always found them to be very courtous and professional and a pleasure to work with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Negative overall, but it was my own fault. Apparently carrying a crossbow around a village is frowned upon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭iangobl

Negative overall, but it was my own fault. Apparently carrying a crossbow around a village is frowned upon.
    lol

I've only had to deal with them to get forms signed or roadside stops - they've always been very nice and professional.
    Oh and when we were reporting an assault - they came to the house fairly sharp and took all the details, told me to mind himself as he'd gotten a blow to the head and might have concussion and asked should we ring an ambulance...
    definitely no bad words to say about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Its ok to carry a sniper rifle though...

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Yes
    Pauleta wrote: »
    If you are nice to them, they will return the favour.

Depending on who you are and in what situation you are meeting them. They aren't necessarily gonna be nice just because you are. Some of them, and by some I mean a pretty good proportion are just pricks in uniform.

• Advertisement
Advertisement