Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your dealings with the Gardaí - positive or negative?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Have only had dealings with the Gardaí once... House party I was in got smashed up by some local scumbags. Gardaí arrived in their droves pretty quickly, and were nice and helpful.

Never been stopped in the car or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Yes
    Only had a few dealings, mostly positive.

Had a lot of trouble around the place we rent. Teenagers causing nightmares around the place with vandalism, general disruption and annoyance. There's not a lot they can do, except to be seen around the area. Have had many face to face conversations with them when they were called out, and couldn't say anything negative whatsoever about that.

I did find it frustrating though, when ringing the station. They were difficult to deal with, and basically uninterested. You'd end up repeating yourself over and over. But that's unavoidable really, there's always people who are just not good at what they do.

In general though any dealings have been fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭jetsonx

sugarman wrote: »

Mostly negative I have to say. The few i've encountered nearly all seem to have spoke down to me & treated me like i was an utter scummer with a criminal record.

But its just the tone they take is unreal.

This pretty sums up their whole attitude.

I've even seen them take this attitude towards elderly ladies. They forget that it is the taxpayer who pays their wages.

World-class police forces are integrated and respected members of the
    communities they serve. The Gardai seem to only know how to interact with the public in one way - by using fear and intimidation.

ps: for some reason, has anyone noticed their seems to be disproportionate number of red heads in the Gardai. They seem
    to have an even worse attitude than the brethren. I think these members joined the force to exact some sort of revenge on society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I had a very unpleasant experience recently which put me off the guards to be honest. I was meeting a friend of mine on Dorset street but because I'm not from that part of town I was wandering about lost for a few minutes trying to find the point we agreed to meet at. I didn't realise it was that big a street! Out of nowhere an unmarked car drove at me like something out of the Sweeney and two plain clothes guards jumped out at me. They grabbed hold of me and accused me of scoping the street out so I could commit a burglary. They also demanded my name and address but never showed me any identification. When I refused to give them any details until they showed me id they took out their handcuffs and threatened to arrest me. When they saw I wasn't going to be bullied they took out their id and I gave them my details. They then made a number of derogatory remarks about the area I live in and that I must be well used to the Gardai because I'm from there. My friend then turned up confused at what was happening and they scarpered. This is the only experience I have of the Gardai apart from the usual going to the station for passports etc. It wasn't something I'd like to repeat in a hurry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I have had many experiences with the gardai, the majority of them negative (and I wasn't in the wrong!)

I had a car of mine parked outside a station in the midlands when some of the roof tiles came down and did a fair bit of damage to the side of my car. After checking neighbouring buildings and determining they definitely came off the garda station, I went inside to say it to the gardai and was told "It's an act of god" and then more or less told to piss off. After more talking, I was referred to another garda and the matter was dealt with in a more polite way.

Another one was when I had a mobile phone stolen and I was going to report it so I could claim a new one from the insurance. When I went into the station and told them I wished to report it stolen, I was told "And what do you want us to do about it?"

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Have had positive and negetive. Most negetive was getting a beating but these days I have a garda presence outside my house 24/7 because of local scumbags so I would say wholly positive but they can be cúnts when they want to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭wayfarers

The simple code really is; stay out of shit and then you'll have positive experiences with them.

Stay out of ****? Ok explain to me why I at 18 or 19 was stopped by garda detectives on my way home from the train station, they thought that as I was carrying a suitcase it must contain drugs (their words!). They then proceeded to empty the contents of said suitcase out on the street looking for the non existent drugs. When they realised I had nothing in my bag other than clothes and a few cds they set about belittling me with comments about my appearance, accent and other things. These were the detectives, not even your uniformed gardai, so don't post your "don't go looking for trouble for them and you won't get it" comments because it doesn't work that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Yes
    Got a beating in Eyre Sq Galway. No I wasn't drunk and stumbling at 2am. This was 1pm in the bright sunshine and I was going to get Bus Eireann home for the weekend. If Dublin has junkies then Galway has winos, Eyre Sq full of them! Yeah, maybe most here could take them but I weighed 9 and a half stone and weak as piss
    Cycle cop on the scene, made my statement a few days later, I got a witness and last I ever heard despite asking for updates.....

My beloved scooter vandalized three times in Dublin. Made a report every time.
    The last time they took a panel the Phoenix Park for finger prints and lost it :rolleyes:
    It's mislaid there somewhere and I never did get it back.

However, our estate is plagued with kids kicking wing mirrors and knacker drinking in the waste ground beside us. I've even had beer bottles thrown at me! :mad:
    Credit due, you can call the station and the squad car will be up swiftly and scatter the kids. Happened just last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Mostly negative, culminating with the student protests in November where I seen several of them assault completely defenceless people and clearly enjoy it. Generally make you feel like you're a criminal in all your dealings with them, including picking up a passport form, etc,.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Mostly negative, esp as a teen and in early 20s. My fault for the most part.

Was pleasantly surprised to share a joint or two with some of the more open members of the force on occasion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

Like everyone a few good and bad experiences, more bad ones.

I generally have a distrust for authority though so I probaly the wrong person to give an opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

I've had to get a lot of things signed by the garda lately(age card, passport etc) and everytime I've went down to the station they've been very rude and abrupt. It's like they assume your a criminal just because your're young. I was waiting 15 mins at the desk for someone to come out to me even though they had seen me waiting. I rang the bell a second time and one of them shouted out ''have a bit of patience''

A woman in her sixties then came in the door looking to get something signed aswel and the garda was straight out to help. He even had to cheek to ask her was she alright before me! People always wonder why young people disllike the garda, it's this type of condescending ****e that gets the hatred runing through their veins from a young age. Respect is a two way street, I think they fail to grasp that or simply don't give a fook

At least you've something to look forward to when you get old!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Yes
    Only negative here really.

They are disinterested when you want something simple, try to bully when they think you've done something and useless when you need them to call out as they turn up half an hour later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Had a trolly push out at work on Monday. Got the reg no of the car. Rang the local station. 20 mins later perp caught and stock returned. Have had only positive experiences with the local Gardai since working in retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭AllYourBass

I used to have nothing but ill will towards the Gardaí, mostly based on their "what do you want ME to do about it?" attitude and (perceived) general disdain for the normies such as myself, but in fairness I have come across a couple of situations recently, such as when a mate inadvertently engaged in some petty vandalism, that shows, like in all walks of life, there are as many people who are polite and responsible in their position as there are who abuse it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Got caught underage drinking - no problems, guards we're cool just gave us the warning and speech.

Stopped at checkpoints for tax/insurnace/nct inspection - guards we're talkative and friendly.

Pulled over a few months back for using a mobile phone while driving - young guard was very nice, talking about it and asking questions, said he wasnt going to prosecute me, to be fair he didnt.

All positive ordeals for me anyway, but as has been said, theres good and bad in al walks of life and its the one bad gaurd that people meet that they focus on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Cazale wrote: »
    I had a very unpleasant experience recently which put me off the guards to be honest. I was meeting a friend of mine on Dorset street but because I'm not from that part of town I was wandering about lost for a few minutes trying to find the point we agreed to meet at. I didn't realise it was that big a street! Out of nowhere an unmarked car drove at me like something out of the Sweeney and two plain clothes guards jumped out at me. They grabbed hold of me and accused me of scoping the street out so I could commit a burglary. They also demanded my name and address but never showed me any identification. When I refused to give them any details until they showed me id they took out their handcuffs and threatened to arrest me. When they saw I wasn't going to be bullied they took out their id and I gave them my details. They then made a number of derogatory remarks about the area I live in and that I must be well used to the Gardai because I'm from there. My friend then turned up confused at what was happening and they scarpered. This is the only experience I have of the Gardai apart from the usual going to the station for passports etc. It wasn't something I'd like to repeat in a hurry!

Post up a picture of yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Yes
    wayfarers wrote: »
    Stay out of ****? Ok explain to me why I at 18 or 19 was stopped by garda detectives on my way home from the train station, they thought that as I was carrying a suitcase it must contain drugs (their words!). They then proceeded to empty the contents of said suitcase out on the street looking for the non existent drugs. When they realised I had nothing in my bag other than clothes and a few cds they set about belittling me with comments about my appearance, accent and other things. These were the detectives, not even your uniformed gardai, so don't post your "don't go looking for trouble for them and you won't get it" comments because it doesn't work that way.

Maybe because you were (a) known to Gardaí in some way, or (b) you looked like shady character wearing "knacker" clothing thus why they made comments about your appearance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Maybe because you were (a) known to Gardaí in some way, or (b) you looked like shady character wearing "knacker" clothing thus why they made comments about your appearance.

Really? "knacker clothing"? Oh well blimey I am so sorry officer! I didn't know there was a fu*king law about "knacker" clothing! Could you tell me what the law says? And what is classed as "knacker" clothing? By all means, educate me, please!

Look, get out of your little dream world. Some of the Gardaí are scumbags in uniform, everyone knows that. Now, are all of them like that? Nope. I'd reckon most of them aren't. But the ones that are, seem to get transfered from area to area, hence why a lot of people have difficulties. And it's also a known fact that youngesters tend to get bullied by the Gardaí, regardless of if there innocent.

There's nothing wrong with being stopped because you look suspicious and them asking you a few questions. One time, they stopped me because I looked like a fella they thought robbed a car, I said fine, I don't mind asnwering your questions. Ten minutes later, they caught the actual guy and said "sorry about that, you honestly did fit the description".

But... you also tend to get the ones that stop you, treat you like absolute sh*t, act as if you've beaten up an old man with a bat and were joking about it. Sure, at times I wouldn't blame someone getting a few slaps if they did something horrible like raping a girl or beating up an old man, I'd say most people would act like nothing happened. But unfortunetly, the Gardaí aren't filled with the noble knights and ladies from the fairy tales you read as a child and scumbags do exist amongst their ranks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Negative.

Is there really any reason to be so pig ignorant to everyone just because they are guards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I've never had any dealings with AGS, good or bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

the Q isn't how have gardai treated you,its if u ever been on their perceived wrong side, how have they treated u.

Answer 4 me, is the gardi have been maliciously and violently pyschopathic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Compared to their counterparts in the UK they're a very unprofessional force.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Rhamiel

Got a beating in Eyre Sq Galway. No I wasn't drunk and stumbling at 2am. This was 1pm in the bright sunshine and I was going to get Bus Eireann home for the weekend. If Dublin has junkies then Galway has winos, Eyre Sq full of them! Yeah, maybe most here could take them but I weighed 9 and a half stone and weak as piss
    Cycle cop on the scene, made my statement a few days later, I got a witness and last I ever heard despite asking for updates.....

My beloved scooter vandalized three times in Dublin. Made a report every time.
    The last time they took a panel the Phoenix Park for finger prints and lost it :rolleyes:
    It's mislaid there somewhere and I never did get it back.

However, our estate is plagued with kids kicking wing mirrors and knacker drinking in the waste ground beside us. I've even had beer bottles thrown at me! :mad:
    Credit due, you can call the station and the squad car will be up swiftly and scatter the kids. Happened just last night.

Cops in galway seem to have a serious aversion to prosecuting assaults.. know of a person who got attacked in a chipper and the manager gave him the cctv and all to go the the garda station with a few days later to make a statement but they told him it was 'too late' ?? (6 months is the period for which you can report even a minor assualt)

was also assaulted myself in a nightclub and made a statement, they basically brushed it off, didnt even bother following up on obtaining a medical report from the hospital & actually told me they'd rather 'let the lads away wit a warning cause they seemed like grand fellows when they questioned them' ???

Yes
    Really? "knacker clothing"? Oh well blimey I am so sorry officer! I didn't know there was a fu*king law about "knacker" clothing! Could you tell me what the law says? And what is classed as "knacker" clothing? By all means, educate me, please!

Look, get out of your little dream world.

*It's not a law, of course, but in the real world I'd say most people who want to look like knackers would, probably, be generally inclined to act like one. Not that it's illegal or anything but it does cast a suspension upon ones character especially if were hanging around in shady spots.
    Some of the Gardaí are scumbags in uniform, everyone knows that. Now, are all of them like that? Nope. I'd reckon most of them aren't.

ok...
    And it's also a known fact that youngesters tend to get bullied by the Gardaí, regardless of if there innocent.

Well maybe it's because less mature youngsters are more likely to cause trouble than older people ... perhaps.
    There's nothing wrong with being stopped because you look suspicious and them asking you a few questions. One time, they stopped me because I looked like a fella they thought robbed a car, I said fine

Yes, see above.*

• Advertisement

*It's not a law, of course, but in the real world I'd say most people who want to look like knackers would, probably, be generally inclined to act like one. Not that it's illegal or anything but it does cased a suspension upon ones character especially if were hanging around in shady spots.

ok...

Well maybe it's because less mature youngsters are more likely to cause trouble than older people ... perhaps.

Yes, see above.*

You a garda by any chance? You certainly sound like one.

So, let's say I'm in a tracksuit bottoms, runners and a t-shirt (I dislike shorts), it's a nice warm day. What would you fu*king tell me to wear? My boxers and a pair of flip-flops because I look to "knacker"?
    You want to question me on suspicions, fine. You want to treat me like sh*t because of how I dress? You're the scumbag, not me.

So... a fine young man, dressed in a shirt, shoes, trousers and walking down to a party after work, just to the pub five minutes away to to his friend's 21st warrants a twenty minute question about his wereabouts of the last 4 hours since "you look like a fella that would break into someone's house and we want to know when you did it in the last four hours". Keep in mind that I was more than happy to take them down to the place I worked at, show them my hours, have say... 12 people or so (at least) be able to say "yup he was here for the last six hours working), but no... not according to you or those Gardaí. Apprently I would have "tipped them off to lie" for me.

So take your little high horse bull-sh*t away from here and realize that you're foolish to think that some Gardaí aren't corrupt little sh*ts who just hide behind a uniform.

Oh and... so what if the guy down the road smashed up a car, does that mean I will? No. Sure, they can think I was involved but if I'm talking to them with respect, I would want to be treated in a civil manner.
    But of course, I somehow warrant being treated like scum for being a young man! Of course, everyone under a certain age is scum! Thank you officer, thank you so much.

EVERYONE LISTEN! Just stay indoors till you're over the age of 30 or so and the Gardaí won't have a problem with you at all. :rolleyes:

Yes
    You a garda by any chance?

No.
    So, let's say I'm in a tracksuit bottoms, runners and a t-shirt (I dislike shorts), it's a nice warm day. What would you fu*king tell me to wear?

If they don't stop people who look suspicious then they could be missing out on someone who really is up to no good and yes clothing is party to this, unfortunately. I guess it could in a way be comparable to the new "body scan" machines introduced at the security gates of some airports that reveals people's private parts - it may seem totally invasive but it's necessary to maintain effective security to protect society.
    My boxers and a pair of flip-flops because I look to "knacker"?

flip-flops?
    So... a fine young man, dressed in a shirt, shoes, trousers and walking down to a party after work, just to the pub five minutes away to to his friend's 21st warrants a twenty minute question about his wereabouts of the last 4 hours

I'd regard this "fine young man" as a statistical anomaly.

No.

If they don't stop people who look suspicious then they could be missing out on someone who really is up to no good and yes clothing is party to this, unfortunately.

flip-flops?

I'd regard this "fine young man" as a statistical anomaly.

Nice one! You completely ignored most of post... mostly the very valid points. I wonder why that is? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Only dealings i've had with them has been reporting crimes and giving statements about these crimes.

Unhelpful, uninterested, questioning me (a witness) as if i had actually assaulted the victim.

From my experiences i think that they need more training on the public relations side of things. Some of them seem to have the attitude "i've a job to do, i'm not a f'kin public servant!!"

Only dealings i've had with them has been reporting crimes and giving statements about these crimes.

Unhelpful, uninterested, questioning me (a witness) as if i had actually assaulted the victim.

From my experiences i think that they need more training on the public relations side of things. Some of them seem to have the attitude "i've a job to do, i'm not a f'kin public servant!!"

But here's the thing, they're just trying to find out the truth (as you were a witness). But it also depends on how you acted towards them. I've been in situations were a simple "yes, officer, no, garda" seems to piss them right off. It seems to be the more likely you are to treat them with professionalism, the more likely they are to treat you like scum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,616 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

My house was broken into some years ago- Gardaí called out....... More interested in who built house, where I sourced windows etc.... than catching the bad guys.
    Had attempted break in few weeks back and similar experience with 2 young gardaí-

Replace the sods of turf with some weapons, I say, and maybe we might have less crime????

Yes
    Nice one! You completely ignored most of post... mostly the very valid points. I wonder why that is? rolleyes.gif

Maybe that was because most of your last post was just reiteration.
    You a garda by any chance? You certainly sound like one.

Answered.
    So, let's say I'm in a tracksuit bottoms, runners and a t-shirt (I dislike shorts), it's a nice warm day. What would you fu*king tell me to wear? My boxers and a pair of flip-flops because I look to "knacker"?
    You want to question me on suspicions, fine. You want to treat me like sh*t because of how I dress? You're the scumbag, not me.

Answered.
    So... a fine young man, dressed in a shirt, shoes, trousers and walking down to a party after work, just to the pub five minutes away to to his friend's 21st warrants a twenty minute question about his wereabouts of the last 4 hours since "you look like a fella that would break into someone's house and we want to know when you did it in the last four hours".

Answered.
    Keep in mind that I was more than happy to take them down to the place I worked at, show them my hours, have say... 12 people or so (at least) be able to say "yup he was here for the last six hours working), but no... not according to you or those Gardaí. Apprently I would have "tipped them off to lie" for me.

Really?

I answered this silently.
    So take your little high horse bull-sh*t away from here and realize that you're foolish to think that some Gardaí aren't corrupt little sh*ts who just hide behind a uniform.

Personal attack. I'm obviously not going to be wound up and answer this to satisfy you.
    Oh and... so what if the guy down the road smashed up a car, does that mean I will? No. Sure, they can think I was involved but if I'm talking to them with respect, I would want to be treated in a civil manner.
    But of course, I somehow warrant being treated like scum for being a young man! Of course, everyone under a certain age is scum! Thank you officer, thank you so much.

Again, same point different scenario, I regarded this as answered.
    EVERYONE LISTEN! Just stay indoors till you're over the age of 30 or so and the Gardaí won't have a problem with you at all. :rolleyes:

Exaggerated statement - really doesn't need to be answered.

Also, by the rhetoric and attitude you portray in your post I'm not suppressed that you received "disrespect" from the Gardaí.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭I_am_LOST

I don't like this attitude of '**** the gardai' we have here in Ireland...nobody really seems to respect our police force.

That said, while I haven't had too many dealings with them, in general they have been negative.

In one case I was out in town, a bit drunk...ended up getting assaulted by some guys...I was a bit shaken obviously, understandably. Somebody contacted the police and they came and grabbed me and tried to get me to the station to give a statement. To be fair, they knew I was the victim. But I just wanted to go home, didn't want to give a statement or press charges etc. They could see that I was reluctant. I was begging with them nearly to just let me go home but they wouldnt let me.

I thought the way they handled me was a bit unprofessional and forceful (practically shoved me into the garda car!) I know they were just trying to do the right thing - they knew I was the victim and wanted to get the lads who had assaulted me. But I wasn't under arrest and I knew my rights yet they still forced me to go to the station! I was in tears about the whole thing

Maybe that was because most of your last post was just reiteration.

Answered.

Answered.

Answered.

Really?

I answered this silently.

Personal attack. I'm obviously not going to be wound up and answer this to satisfy you.

Again, same point different scenario, I regarded this as answered.

Exaggerated statement - really doesn't need to be answered.

Also, by the rhetoric and attitude you portray in your post I'm not suppressed that you received "disrespect" from the Gardaí.

I treat the Gardaí how they treat me.
    Oh, one thing though, explain the following: Me and two of my friends are outside his garden drinking cans at 8 in the evening, it's a nice warm day. Suddenly, three guards come up, one says "right, pour the cans out and give me the rest, you aren't to be drinking them", yet the other garda says "oh it's okay, I know him (me), sorry about that, mate, see you". And they promptly walk off.

So... explain that. You can't. Beyond "corruption".

Yes
    I treat the Gardaí how they treat me.
    Oh, one thing though, explain the following: Me and two of my friends are outside his garden drinking cans at 8 in the evening, it's a nice warm day. Suddenly, three guards come up, one says "right, pour the cans out and give me the rest, you aren't to be drinking them", yet the other garda says "oh it's okay, I know him (me), sorry about that, mate, see you". And they promptly walk off.

So... explain that. You can't. Beyond "corruption".

Underage drinking, eh?

I_am_LOST wrote: »
    I don't like this attitude of '**** the gardai' we have here in Ireland...nobody really seems to respect our police force.

That said, while I haven't had too many dealings with them, in general they have been negative.

In one case I was out in town, a bit drunk...ended up getting assaulted by some guys...I was a bit shaken obviously, understandably. Somebody contacted the police and they came and grabbed me and tried to get me to the station to give a statement. To be fair, they knew I was the victim. But I just wanted to go home, didn't want to give a statement or press charges etc. They could see that I was reluctant. I was begging with them nearly to just let me go home but they wouldnt let me.

I thought the way they handled me was a bit unprofessional and forceful (practically shoved me into the garda car!) I know they were just trying to do the right thing - they knew I was the victim and wanted to get the lads who had assaulted me. But I wasn't under arrest and I knew my rights yet they still forced me to go to the station! I was in tears about the whole thing

It's the fact that even if you've done nothing wrong, you're treated like a criminal most times. So I don't get why we should respect them. Sure, if I meet a decent garda, I'll be decent and respectful and have a good opinion but... that rarely does happen.
    In fairness though, a lot of it is to do with how we understand Gardaí when we're kids. See, a lot of us that grow up in the city understand the Gardaí to be little more than bullies (which some of them are). So we maintain this attitude. And even though we might dislike them, most of us will still give thme a fair chance face to face. But they do nothing to make sure we have a good opinion of them. Most times we're being questioned or whatnot but not in a manner of "did you hear anything in the last hour that sounded like a car crash, how long have youse been in the garden drinking, see anyone suspicious running by". It's more like "so, youse are drinking then, how old are youse? 20? Yeah, youse should be out in the clubs, not drinking in gardens". "eh... it's 4 in the afternoon on a sunny day, lots of us are drinking (people around 18-40ish), the clubs wouldn't open till 9 or so anyway".
    "Don't get ****ing cheeky with me ya little prick".

So you can see where the notion of us disliking them comes from.

Underage drinking, eh?

Yup, me being 19, my friend being 18 and my other friend being 21. All underage. :rolleyes:

Yes
    Yup, me being 19, my friend being 18 and my other friend being 21. All underage. :rolleyes:

More to the point, why were you drinking in your front garden only a stones throw away from a public pedestrian footpath?

More to the point, why were you drinking in your front garden only a stones throw away from a public pedestrian footpath?

Because, by law, I'm allowed to drink in a garden with the owner's permission (the house was privately owned and the owner was in the home at the time).

But way to go, you assumed bull-****!

Yes
    Because, by law, I'm allowed to drink in a garden with the owner's permission (the house was privately owned and the owner was in the home at the time).

No, it's just that if you could get drunk you could stumble onto the pedestrian footpath and start causing trouble.

• Advertisement

No, it's just that if you could get drunk you could stumble onto the pedestrian footpath and start causing trouble.

No, it's just that I was in my rights.

But that wasn't the point. The point was as soon as the one garda spotted me, we were mysteriously left alone! Now do you know why that is? I can't think of anything... I mean, surely it couldn't have been some sort of "oh I know him, let's not bother him" thing, right?

I suppose... I could be above the law and that makes my friends above the law too. Surely a better explanation than there's corruption amongst the force.

We'll go with "I'm above the law" so you don't need to admit that scumbags do exist in the force. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Yes

You said you were outside his garden.

k_mac wrote: »
    You said you were outside his garden.

Gah, I was getting two different stories mixed up.

Regardless, in both times, as soon as the same garda saw my face, we were left alone. Once we were breaking the law (drinking in a public place) and the other time we were drinking a private owned garden with the owners permission.

Yes
    Gah, I was getting two different stories mixed up.

Lol.

I say the Gardaí do have the best of laughs sometimes.

Lol.

I say the Gardaí do have the best of laughs sometimes.

Still no answer for why both times, upon seeing me, they both walked away? Yeah, thought so. Good on you, you think "lol" is an argument.

LOL.

Yes
    Still no answer for why both times, upon seeing me, they both walked away? Yeah, thought so. Good on you, you think "lol" is an argument.

LOL.

I don't have to answer, it just gets funnier and funnier. :D

Was there a reason they shouldn't have walked away perhaps?

I know. Two times I've named that the gardaí seem to pick and choose when to bother me, if a member of the force spots me, I'm fine.

Strange how that happens, no?

I never said you "had to", I said you couldn't answer it and you can't. Not without admitting you're wrong and living a little sheltered box.

Yes
    I know. Two times I've named that the gardaí seem to pick and choose when to bother me, if a member of the force spots me, I'm fine.

Strange how that happens, no?

I never said you "had to", I said you couldn't answer it and you can't. Not without admitting you're wrong and living a little sheltered box.

Before I answer, was there a reason, according to your knowledge, that they shouldn't have walked away from you.

Was there a reason they shouldn't have walked away perhaps?

If you read what I wrote, it was two sperate times. Once, I was in the garden and got bothered, they left when the garda saw me. The second time... (this is strangest part), I was outside, with both my friends again, but outside the garden... drinking in a public place which breaks the law but... SOMEHOW I'm not given so much as a warning and they leave! I wish I could know why that was! Perhaps you can answer it? Perhaps it was cause I wasn't "dressed like a knacker" or something? Or maybe I'm above the law? Or it was legal to drink on the street a few months ago?

• Advertisement

Before I answer, was there a reason, according to your knowledge, that they shouldn't have walked away from you.

Yes, I was drinking outside the garden the second time, which is illegal (it was on the path/driving area). It's a one way street pretty much (like a cul-de-sac).

Advertisement