Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your dealings with the Gardaí - positive or negative?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Yes
    If you read what I wrote, it was two sperate times. Once, I was in the garden and got bothered, they left when the garda saw me. The second time... (this is strangest part), I was outside, with both my friends again, but outside the garden... drinking in a public place which breaks the law but... SOMEHOW I'm not given so much as a warning and they leave! I wish I could know why that was! Perhaps you can answer it? Perhaps it was cause I wasn't "dressed like a knacker" or something? Or maybe I'm above the law? Or it was legal to drink on the street a few months ago?

Right...
    It's more like "so, youse are drinking then, how old are youse? 20? Yeah, youse should be out in the clubs, not drinking in gardens". "eh... it's 4 in the afternoon on a sunny day, lots of us are drinking (people around 18-40ish), the clubs wouldn't open till 9 or so anyway".
    "Don't get ****ing cheeky with me ya little prick".
    I treat the Gardaí how they treat me.
    Oh, one thing though, explain the following: Me and two of my friends are outside his garden drinking cans at 8 in the evening, it's a nice warm day. Suddenly, three guards come up, one says "right, pour the cans out and give me the rest, you aren't to be drinking them", yet the other garda says "oh it's okay, I know him (me), sorry about that, mate, see you". And they promptly walk off.
    Yes, I was drinking outside the garden the second time, which is illegal (it was on the path/driving area). It's a one way street pretty much (like a cul-de-sac).

Was 4pm the first time they encountered you and 8pm the second time they encountered you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Right...

Was 4pm the first time they encountered you and 8pm the second time they encountered you.

4PM was a random example of how I was spoken too after being polite (being called a "prick" isn't going to get my respect). That was also the time when there were around 30 people in their gardens drinking, we (being the youngest) were the only ones spoken too... odd that.

The 8pm was when they saw me and my two friends outside the garden, in the cul-de-sac like area.

Yes
    4PM was a random example of how I was spoken too after being polite (being called a "prick" isn't going to get my respect).

Before or after you were drinking illegally.

Its almost as if you want the Gardaí to read this, I'd watch out the next time I'd be drinking in someones garden if I were you.

I said it before and I'll say it again;
    The simple code really is; stay out of shit and then you'll have positive experiences with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

There's nothing wrong with being stopped because you look suspicious and them asking you a few questions. One time, they stopped me because I looked like a fella they thought robbed a car, I said fine, I don't mind asnwering your questions. Ten minutes later, they caught the actual guy and said "sorry about that, you honestly did fit the description".
    Actually, there is.

You can only be stopped or questioned by a Garda in accordance with law.

To be randomly stopped and/or questioned by a Garda is an abuse of privacy and deprivation of personal liberty. You are entitled to walk the street without question or prevention by a Garda, unless your actions or conduct are such that there is provision in law relevant to your behaviour to stop and question you.

I_am_LOST wrote: »
    I don't like this attitude of '**** the gardai' we have here in Ireland...nobody really seems to respect our police force.

That's because they're fcuking useless as a whole. Turn a blind eye to whatever they feel like, regardless of the situation, and break whatever laws they want themselves, course of duty or not. The only time most seem interested in doing actual work is when it brings in revenue. People are aware of this, thats why they don't respect the gardaí.

Its almost as if you want the Gardaí to read this, I'd watch out the next time I'd be drinking in someones garden if I were you.

I'm still unsure why I was let away with breaking the law and secondly, why myself and my friends were the only ones spoken to...

Yeah, you have no answer. Go away before you look even more foolish.

• Advertisement

Actually, there is.

You can only be stopped or questioned by a Garda in accordance with law.

To be randomly stopped and/or questioned by a Garda is an abuse of privacy and deprivation of personal liberty. You are entitled to walk the street without question or prevention by a Garda, unless your actions or conduct are such that there is provision in law relevant to your behaviour to stop and question you.

Well yes, I figured that. But what I meant was more of a case of if you're just standing around and acting suspiciously. I mean, if I look like I'm try to check out a house to see if it can be broken into, then that'd warrant a few questions. Obviously being stopped, questioned and let go out of sheer entertainment for the Gardaí when you have nothing suspcious about you is wrong.
    But surely if it looks like you're doing something that's against the law (or will commit a crime soon based on how you act), they can ask you a few questions?

Yes
    Yeah, you have no answer. Go away before you look even more foolish.

Read over your posts a few times son. You might want to delete a few things.

I said it before and I'll say it again;

Yeah, drinking in a garden is fine and warrants a question time and being called a "prick" for giving a proper answer as to why you aren't out in the clubs at 4pm.

Seriously, grow the fu*k up.

Read over your posts a few times son. You might want to delete a few things.

I was allowed drink illegal on the street, why is this?

Answer it if you can, go on.

Yes
    I was allowed drink illegal on the street, why is this?

Answer it if you can, go on.

Is that what really happened? Your posts are so inconsistent I don't know what to believe.

• Advertisement

Is that what really happened? Your posts are so inconsistent I don't know what to believe.

Okay, I will start over so you can understand me:

I drank alcohol. I was with two friends, all three of us had open alcoholic containers.
    We walked from my friend's garden, to a wall, about 30 or 40 feet away.
    We then continued to consume the alcoholic drinks.
    I was told (as were my friends) to pour out the alcohol from the three opened cans (we had one can each), then to give the Gardaí the rest of of the unopened cans that contained alcohol.
    Then, a garda that saw my face perked up and said "ah it's okay, I know him". Suddenly, they (the Gardaí) left, while myself and my two friends remained by the wall drinking alcohol.

Can you explain why this happened? I bolded out the part that has me confused, so that even you know what you're to explain. But of course, you won't be able to since it goes against your belief that all Gardaí are nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

umm positive or negative. well i'd have to say positive and i was a right asshole years ago hehe.

I was in o'connell street waiting on a taxi with a friend and I had previously bought a 2 litre of cider to take home with me, it was in a bag unopened and i was sitting down at the edge of a monument there, and six heads walked by and grabbed the bag off me so i got up and went over to them and grabbed it back from them then a row started with the ****balls and the garda van shot over and the garda chased them away.

the guard then came over to me and i just said i was waiting on a taxi and those guys robbed the bottle off me so the guard said he was sick of this **** going on and he then took the bottle off me and said go home. so not only was i robbed by these asshole guys i was robbed by the garda as well as the flaggen was never opened and was in a bag. anyway i was so pissed off at this i kicked the side of the garda van' I know it was a stupid thing to do but it happened so then i was chased up and down the road by a garda van a squad car and 2 walkies.

they arrested me and brought me to store street garda station and done me for it. but anyway i still think it was a positive experience with the guards at store street because they brought me in breakfast and a few cigarettes and were very sound the lot of them were. to be honest i got better looked after in store street garda station than i did in some hotels i went to. so I have to say at the end of the day it was a positive experience with the gardai.

Yes
    Okay, I will start over so you can understand me:

I drank alcohol. I was with two friends, all three of us had open alcoholic containers.
    I was told (as were my friends) to pour out the alcohol from the three opened cans (we had one can each), then to give the Gardaí the rest of of the unopened cans that contained alcohol.
    Then, a garda that saw my face perked up and said "ah it's okay, I know him". Suddenly, they (the Gardaí) left, while myself and my two friends remained by the wall drinking alcohol.

Can you explain why this happened? I bolded out the part that has me confused, so that even you know what you're to explain. But of course, you won't be able to since it goes against your belief that all Gardaí are nice.

I'm just confused how this;
    I treat the Gardaí how they treat me.
    Oh, one thing though, explain the following: Me and two of my friends are outside his garden drinking cans at 8 in the evening, it's a nice warm day. Suddenly, three guards come up, one says "right, pour the cans out and give me the rest, you aren't to be drinking them", yet the other garda says "oh it's okay, I know him (me), sorry about that, mate, see you". And they promptly walk off.

So... explain that. You can't. Beyond "corruption".

turned into this;

zenno wrote: »
    umm positive or negative. well i'd have to say positive and i was a right asshole years ago hehe.

I was in o'connell street waiting on a taxi with a friend and I had previously bought a 2 litre of cider to take home with me, it was in a bag unopened and i was sitting down at the edge of a monument there, and six heads walked by and grabbed the bag off me so i got up and went over to them and grabbed it back from them then a row started with the ****balls and the garda van shot over and the garda chased them away.

the guard then came over to me and i just said i was waiting on a taxi and those guys robbed the bottle off me so the guard said he was sick of this **** going on and he then took the bottle off me and said go home. so not only was i robbed by these asshole guys i was robbed by the garda as well as the flaggen was never opened and was in a bag. anyway i was so pissed off at this i kicked the side of the garda van' I know it was a stupid thing to do but it happened so then i was chased up and down the road by a garda van a squad car and 2 walkies.

they arrested me and brought me to store street garda station and done me for it. but anyway i still think it was a positive experience with the guards at store street because they brought me in breakfast and a few cigarettes and were very sound the lot of then were. to be honest i got better looked after in store street garda station than i did in some hotels i went to. so I have to say at the end of the day it was a positive experience with the gardai.

No, it was a bad experience with the patrollers. It was a very good experience with the station gardaí.

I'm just confused how this;

turned into this;

Well... I'll try my best to explain this: Garden is around 40 foot from the wall we were at. So... "outside" the garden is the same as the wall to me.
    I just told you the wall was about 40 foot away.

Edit: Nevermind, my post before this detailed exactly how and what happened, cleared up any confusion. But you seem to be confused. Sorry, it must be going way over your head.

I guess I was just immune to the law then, thanks!

No, it was a bad experience with the patrollers. It was a very good experience with the station gardaí.

10/4. I was just explaining my own personal experience with them. I'm not judging you're comments dude.

10/4. I was just explaining my own personal experience with them. I'm not judging you're comments dude.

"10/4"? What's that mean? :o

I know that. I was just saying that while you were dealing with Gardaí the whole time, it's unfair to the good members in the station to say it was "good" when the ones on the street weren't acting decently towards you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I've had good and bad.

One night, I had a few friends over and one couple ended up having a blazing row, out in the street, roaring at each other. The neighbours called the Guards and the two or three that came along did really well to calm down the whole incident. Fair play to them. Another time, I was having a party and the Guards were called by a neighbour. They very politely asked me to turn the music done and keep the people off the street. Again, very nicely done.

I was arrested before for a very minor crime (slashing in the street) when I was still a teenager. The Guard who arrested me was a complete wanker. He searched me, I cooperated. He demanded to see my phone (I'd been typing a text when he stopped me), I cooperated. He asked me what I'd been up to, I told him. Then he threw me up against the wall, held the baton across my back so I couldn't move and slapped the cuffs on me.

He told me I was going to jail for a few years and generally treated me like dirt. He made fun of me when I asked him to put my seatbelt on. Obviously, I couldn't, my hands were in cuffs. He started joking about it with the other Guards in the car, who, in fairness to them didn't join in, and refused to do it. When we got to the station, he baited me and accused me of stuff I hadn't done. Overall, it was a horrible experience. Thankfully, his superiors had a lot more sense and were a lot better at dealing with teenagers.

I've been stopped by Guards several times and every time they've been antagonistic and smart-arsed. Some of their attitudes are really disgraceful.

It's really the luck of the draw.

"10/4"? What's that mean? :o

I know that. I was just saying that while you were dealing with Gardaí the whole time, it's unfair to the good members in the station to say it was "good" when the ones on the street weren't acting decently towards you.

yeh i see. the guy in the patrol van was a dick. 10/4 means acknowledged lol. :D

yeh i see. the guy in the patrol van was a dick. 10/4 means acknowledged lol. :D

Ah sure it really is just depending on the garda at the time. Some are nice, some are slightly riddled with personality issues and some are just gardaí for the sole sake of using it to bully.

And I didn't know we were speaking in cop terms. So uh... "roger"? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭fizzynicenice

I've been arrested once for D&D, and had to make a few statements after gettin robbed, bet up etc.

TBH they were pretty cool when i got arrested, but always acted like dicks when I'd been the victim of something.

Fuck tha police

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

Havent had any seriously unpleasant dealings with them and there was definitely a few sound guards in the town where I grew up but on the whole I find them inept and too often, lacking in people skills.

I've been arrested once for D&D, and had to make a few statements after gettin robbed, bet up etc.

TBH they were pretty cool when i got arrested, but always acted like dicks when I'd been the victim of something.

Fuck tha police

look man it's like people in all walks of life, some are bad and some are good and some are astoundingly good. I did have one very bad experience many many years ago with a certain garda that got me put in mountjoy prison for something i didn't do but thats for another time. but my experience with the gardai throughout my younger life was more positive than bad.

when i was really out of control a certain garda said to me after i was arrested for D&D said one of these days the way you are carrying on lately could get you stabbed by some crazy nutter somewere and then you will be crying for the gardai to come and help you. i had a good think of that remark and wised up then on the spot because he was right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭purity

I personally don't like them especially the women I hate the women but the men can be prats too. They don't even need a good leaving cert but yet they think their gods gift. I work a certain job which pays as much as a guard as I am a public servant and I never let it go to my head.
    I haven't had any dealings with them but most guards are the ones that let themselves down. Sleeping around, using foul language, speeding but hey there the guards they can do that right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

purity wrote: »
    I personally don't like them especially the women I hate the women but the men can be prats too. They don't even need a good leaving cert but yet they think their gods gift. I work a certain job which pays as much as a guard as I am a public servant and I never let it go to my head.
    I haven't had any dealings with them but most guards are the ones that let themselves down. Sleeping around, using foul language, speeding but hey there the guards they can do that right?

suitable username

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭purity

suitable username

Sure is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I've had good and bad.

One night, I had a few friends over and one couple ended up having a blazing row, out in the street, roaring at each other. The neighbours called the Guards and the two or three that came along did really well to calm down the whole incident. Fair play to them. Another time, I was having a party and the Guards were called by a neighbour. They very politely asked me to turn the music done and keep the people off the street. Again, very nicely done.

I was arrested before for a very minor crime (slashing in the street) when I was still a teenager. The Guard who arrested me was a complete wanker. He searched me, I cooperated. He demanded to see my phone (I'd been typing a text when he stopped me), I cooperated. He asked me what I'd been up to, I told him. Then he threw me up against the wall, held the baton across my back so I couldn't move and slapped the cuffs on me.

He told me I was going to jail for a few years and generally treated me like dirt. He made fun of me when I asked him to put my seatbelt on. Obviously, I couldn't, my hands were in cuffs. He started joking about it with the other Guards in the car, who, in fairness to them didn't join in, and refused to do it. When we got to the station, he baited me and accused me of stuff I hadn't done. Overall, it was a horrible experience. Thankfully, his superiors had a lot more sense and were a lot better at dealing with teenagers.

I've been stopped by Guards several times and every time they've been antagonistic and smart-arsed. Some of their attitudes are really disgraceful.

It's really the luck of the draw.
    Coulda been tryin to put the sh*ts up ya to scare ya straight! Bet ya didn't p!ss in the street too quickly after that :D

Dave! wrote: »
    Coulda been tryin to put the sh*ts up ya to scare ya straight! Bet ya didn't p!ss in the street too quickly after that :D

Yeah but come on, you don't need to be slammed against walls with batons pressed against you. A simple threat or two would have worked just as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

Good.

Two of my best mates are cops. Neither play GAA or say ve-hi-cle. Neither are complete boggers, both are quite intelligent and neither would fit the sterotype.

Both have been commended by members of the public to their Supers on their performance.
    Both have had friends killed whilst on duty.

They're good cops, they're good people and these tar them all threads are retarded.
    i do aggree with you a lot of GARDAI are decent people i too have a few friends on the force people i grew up with so i knew them before they were Gardai and they are still good people most of the others iv met on the force have been decent tooo but naturally you'll allways get bad apples in every job...

• Advertisement

i do aggree with you a lot of GARDAI are decent people i too have a few friends on the force people i grew up with so i knew them before they were Gardai and they are still good people most of the others iv met on the force have been decent tooo but naturally you'll allways get bad apples in every job...

Well according to SlasherMcGurk, you'd be tarring them all since this is clearly a "we hate the Gardaí thread".

sagat2 wrote: »
    Only a couple of dealings:

After Ireland drew with Germany in the Japan World Cup I was drinking oustide the Stags Head on Dame Lane with a pal, we were getting pissed off by the taxi's flying down the lane with reckless abandon every few minutes telling us to get the f**k out of the way. So we did what any reasonably drunken lads would do at that hour of the morning: constructed a wall of kegs across the road, about 5 kegs high and stood there enjoying the chaos. So the taxi's soon started piling up and the enraged drivers who suspected the two fella's laughing hysterically began leveling torrents of abuse in our direction while dialing furiously on their mobiles. None of them got out of their cars, probably because we were fairly big bastards.
    About twenty minutes passed before Dublin's finest made it two the scene, surprisingly both the Gards were from Dublin, a rarity. Anyway they were very reasonable, apparently we had managed to back traffic up all the way to Aungier street and they issued us a simple ultimatum, remove the wall of kegs and bring our pints back inside or else they would take us to the station. The taxi drivers were livid, demanding we be charged with something but the coppers were good to their word and let us go back about our business as soon as the wall came down. not long after the street was closed to traffic, not sure if it still is.

A year or so later I noticed the door to a neighboring apartment had been kicked in so I called the fuzz, took them about 10 minutes to arrive on scene. A couple of big country boys this time. Both were excellent and professional, we entered the apartment to discover it had been stripped clean by burglars and they patiently searched through the rubble until they found information about the tenants identity (the lads who rented it were down the country for the week). No complaints in either case.
    sure fair play to yis. and by the way it's not rare to find dub cops in dublin now there's rakes of em there's even foreign nationals as well...

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    I saw a Garda smoking a fag whilst driving a squad car today. Good to see that our law enforcement seem to think that they themselves are above the law.
    big deal:eek:

prinz wrote: »
    I saw one injecting heroin between his toes wth one hand, driving the car with his other foot and giving himself a handjob with the other hand.
    did ya really :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I had baaaad experiences with the guards and wouldnt go to them if I were lying bleeding to death with my brains hanging out my ears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭Snako

One of many unpleasant experiences Iv had with Gards: Got hit by a car on my bike yesterday,

Gards were called but never showed up,

After a few hours in the hospital went back to my local station, to make a statement.

unfortunately called in while the rugby was on, and the young Guard who emerged to serve me had no interest and told me to basically f**k off to a station closer to the incident,

Before I even told him why I was there, he was standing ten feet back behind the counter, with his hands in his pockets, looking as if I was the most irritating thing he had ever seen,

whole right side of my body is black and blue, ankle and wrist are in bits, and couldn't muster up the energy to get myself to the other station,

not exactly sure why I'm posting here, three conclusions

1) Gards are self absorbed ignorant, moronic, unpleasant w*nkers
    2) Cyclists are purely at the mercy of reckless negligent drivers
    and
    3) Always wear a helmet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Most are ok. A few have Robocop syndrome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

eternal wrote: »
    I had baaaad experiences with the guards and wouldnt go to them if I were lying bleeding to death with my brains hanging out my ears.

how could you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Yes
    mikemac1 wrote: »
    Assualted in Eyre Sq. Not a drunken incident, this was in the middle of the day and I got sucker punched from behind by a wino which hang around the square.
    Garda sergeant arrives up on the push bike, take my detals, an independent witnesses details and interviewed the wino who got cut when I knocked him to the ground.

Gave a statement in Mill St and asked for an update a few months later and bla bla, we have six months to charge him. Never heard anything again and this was a sergeant, not some clueless new garda. I expected more from a sergeant

Scooter vandalized/attempted to be stolen three times.
    Twice they just took my details but did nothing at all though to be fair I'm not sure what they could do.
    The third time they took my panel to Phoenix Park for fingerprints and lost it :rolleyes:

They were never slow to call around to break up houseparties I was at. I guess that's an easy issue to solve, easier then sorting out assaults and property theft

Haha, think ya might have forgotten ya told that story on a previous page with a different account :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ha, I knew this thread looked familiar :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

I'm happy never to have had any dealings with Gardaí apart from getting passports and stuff like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Some cûnts robbed my motorbike, I was driving up into darndale in my car and 2 mates to catch them, I could hear it being ragged around, the cops prevented me doing so.
    I asked them to go and confront the thieves, they wouldn't.
    I was left to stew listening to my uninsured bike ( it was off the road for winter) being destroyed.

3 months later, copper called me and said my bike was recovered, was in good nick and I could collect it from the depot place out past swords, called them, it had been there since 3 days following the thef, they wanted 3 months storage costs, I negotiated them down to 1 month, and they delivered it to me for an extra 100.
    I was pissed off paying it but delighted to get the bike back.

Called the copper and asked why he waited 3 months before he informed me it was recovered, he got quite stroppy on the phone, the bike was un damaged and I should be happy etc.

The bike arrived, I was absolutely gutted, it was in fûckin bits, wheel hanging off, no handlebars, petrol tank crushed, even a kid would know it was ****ed from 50 metres away.
    I called the copper and he hung up on me, so I had forked out nearly 400 quid in storage and delivery for nothing.

2 weeks later the copper called me to testify against the things, I went down to him, it transpires they had the bike under surveillance within minutes of it being stolen, watched 3 kids ride it for 3 days whilst they built the case, then arrested them when they'd crashed the bike. I was willing to testify even though I was super pîssed with the Garda.

It didn't get to court as the chain of arrest was incorrect .

The fûckers sat there watching my bike get destroyed for nothing, and cost me 400 on top of the 4000 the bike was worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Completely apart from all of the violent/alcohol/driving offences....

Was recovering from an op, just out of hospital (destined to go back in as it happens!!), my bank account had been rifled whilst I was on the flat of my back in hospital, receiving 3 units of blood!! (12.15 am, O'Connell Street, €700 withdrawn from cash machine:eek:)

I discovered this when I got out of the hospital, was instructed by the bank that in order to have the funds refunded to my account I would have to report the incident to AGS and provide them with a Ref No. Despite being very ill, my O/H drove me to the local Station where (by this stage, I had to hold onto the counter to remain standing, was the colour of chalk and on the verge of fainting)........having explained my situation to the Bean Garda on duty, she abruptly and rudely told me I would have to go to the Station nearest to where the offence occurred....Store Street or somewhere (Begs the question if they used a cash machine in Athlone would I have had to go there to report!!) The OH would have a certain knowledge in this area and slapped his Work ID on the Counter......cue very sharp change of attitude and the report was taken!! I always thought she could not give a toss about my obvious physical distress or the 'crime' (my card had been cloned off a local cash machine so where the crime was committed was moot:rolleyes:!!) Had my O/H not been with me I would have just given up at that stage!! I think it was the fear of paperwork that was her real problem!! No arrest or charge in it for herself!!

A couple of days later I was asked to give a statement and as I was still very unwell 2 detectives came to my house (much appreciated)...from what I remember they were very nice!! Several months on I got a call from one of the Detectives to say that the perp (always wanted to say that!!) had got 4 years.....and he asked me how I was recovering since!! Nice guy:)

One crime, 2 different experiences;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Is your partner with the Dept of Justice or something like that? Or maybe garda ombudsman office

He seems to have a fair amount of power

Actually, don't reply as that's too much info but that was some reaction he was able to get

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Is your partner with the Dept of Justice or something like that? Or maybe garda ombudsman office

He seems to have a fair amount of power

Actually, don't reply as that's too much info but that was some reaction he was able to get

The point being..He shouldn't have had to do it, she should have taken the report and, if she had, he never would have got involved!! Knowledge is power;)

Also the Detective told me...€35,000 stolen in 48 hours from various accounts, mine was only one however my case was one they would have pursued (amongst others I am sure) in the absence of a 'Guilty' plea because I could prove without a shadow of a doubt where I and my card were (O/Hhad it so safe enough;))!! It was a fairly sophisticated operation that was shut down!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

That's it Slaneylad....Kill 'em with kindness;) Bet she was Morto!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Maybe because you were (a) known to Gardaí in some way, or (b) you looked like shady character wearing "knacker" clothing thus why they made comments about your appearance.

Killer pigeon cmon now. The law is complex it certainly doesnt boil down person from a certain area is a criminal and someone who talks or looks a certain way must be a drug dealer. Detectives are supposed to show some level of detection abilities outside of judging by clothing or accent. If it were that simple criminals would walk around with bags marked swag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

The Gardai are ordinary people doing an extraordinary job.
    People are quick to forget that.
    They do a difficult job, and I think if we had to walk a mile in their shoes we would see them differently. I for one would not want to do their job.
    I have never had anything other than positive experiences in dealing with the Gardai.
    When you compare them to the PSNI in Northern Ireland you see the difference.
    Worse still are the Police Services in England such as the Metropolitan Police.
    Over the years I have had dealings with the; Metropolitan Police, PSNI, Crown Prosecution Service, HM Revenue and Customs, The Criminal Assets Bureau, The Serious Organised Crime Agency. Having dealt with them all, I can say that the Gardai are professional in comparison.
    I find that if you go looking for trouble, it will find you.
    If you treat the Guards well, they treat you well in return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

When I was 15 I was walking from templebar to grafton street via central bank, there was one of those street cleaning machines a few metres from me and some absolute c*nt of a garda grabbed me and started shouting at me in her manky voice "Git outta da way a da machine ya doooooope". I just sort of shook her off and told her I wasnt in its way (probably a bad idea looking back on it but **** her!) and then she told me to stop pretending i didnt see it or something, and tried to send me back the way i came...the point of which was? :confused:

walked back a few metres then walked back up around her. :pac:

another time some druggy was following me and my friends and literally shoving his hand into their bags to take things, we told a guard and all he was interested in was "are yiz drinkin" like fook off and do your job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 HAAA! HAAA!

Hi there.
    About two minutes ago I ignored this thread as I thought it held no relevance to me.
    Just been talking to a family member and got this interesting story about someone close to me.
    He was on a bus travelling through corduff last night, out of nowhere one of the glass panels was put through in a split second.

Fair enough, sht happens and skangers throw stones at buses.
    However, the pane on the other side of the upstairs of the bus also shattered (fully if im correct based on the impression I was given) and there was a golf-ball sized entrance hole in the first pane.

So basically he was sitting upstairs on say the right side of the aisle, an object came from outside through the glass on the right, left a golf-ball sized hole on impact, then travelled across the aisle and exited the bus after shattering the glass panel on the left.

I can't see how this could have been a rock. Possibly it was a golf-ball but only if it was fired from something like a slingshot. I don't think I'd be at all surprised if it turned out to be a bullet.
    In any case, it had the strength to go through two panes.

He telephoned the guards and was told more or less 'oh right ted' .

• Advertisement
Advertisement