Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your dealings with the Gardaí - positive or negative?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

I only had to contact the guards once and im kind of neutral about the experience.

A guy I was seeing was a bit butthurt when things ended and told me that he had spiked my drink and was going to "beat the sh1t out of me" next time he seen me out (gentleman!) He was messed up and the kind of guy who probably would do that, so one night after another string of abusive messages I went to the guards and showed them all of the messages. The guard at the desk told me to "never mind sure it'll be grand"....then informed me this guy had been arrested about a month before hand for assaulting his own dad!

Went out that night and at the end of the night I was chatting to a male friend when psycho ex comes out of nowhere and punches my friend for no reason at all. Then proceeds to tell me I'm next. The following weekend he attacked another guy I was chatting to so I went out to the guards and the same guard was there..told me there's not much they can do to help now and that until he actually hits me, they can't do anything. In the end I just stopped going out in that town :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The Gardai are ordinary people doing an extraordinary job.
    People are quick to forget that.
    They do a difficult job, and I think if we had to walk a mile in their shoes we would see them differently. I for one would not want to do their job.
    I have never had anything other than positive experiences in dealing with the Gardai.
    When you compare them to the PSNI in Northern Ireland you see the difference.
    Worse still are the Police Services in England such as the Metropolitan Police.
    Over the years I have had dealings with the; Metropolitan Police, PSNI, Crown Prosecution Service, HM Revenue and Customs, The Criminal Assets Bureau, The Serious Organised Crime Agency. Having dealt with them all, I can say that the Gardai are professional in comparison.
    I find that if you go looking for trouble, it will find you.
    If you treat the Guards well, they treat you well in return

Jhonny I only had a few minor negative experiences with unprofessional gardai but a lot here seem to have had negative experiences without looking for trouble or treating gaurds badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭bubbuz

Phoned the Killarney guards last week to explain I have an unpaid court fine for a speeding ticket and may have a warrant out for me and just wanted to get it all sorted out, he was grand at first till I mentioned about the warrant then he just spoke to me like a piece of crap and hardly gave me the time of day....... I was fuming, the fecking fool needed a lesson in manners other than that any dealings have been good ( ie stopped for speeding or no tax etc ) but that guard in Killarney I spoke to.......WHAT A MUPPET

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Yes
    Over-all, I have to say 'positive'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Artur Foden

Yes
    Funnily enough yesterday I had been dealing with the gardai because some junkie tried to climb in my window. all 4 that i dealt with were very friendly, and professional and even sent the fingerprints man around within a few hours to search for evidence.
    this experience has been positive.

If they catch the bastard i may just become their number one fanboy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

Yes
    Good tbh i was caught speedin in a truck on the m11 and without a taco and was let off, and was caught drink-driving outside my house on my birthday 6 years ago out of my bin, other than peno points that i deserved gaurds have be good with me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Never really had trouble with them tbh...

Got stopped a few times of times for making wrong turns in my car, once not having L plates on when I was on my prov licence and stuff... Never got fined or anything.

I find the Gardi to be really relaxed and chilled tbh compared to cops in UK and especially the ones in USA who shoot first and ask questions later...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Generally sound unless you want them to actually catch a criminal. Oh and 'Killer Pigeon' is definitely a Garda, his writing style is remarkably similar to the type of language used by Gardaí :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭0O7

jay93 wrote: »
    Most of them are grand

bla
    bla
    bla

joke they are :rolleyes:

make up your mind

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Yes
    Terrible job they have sometimes .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

I've had both positive and negative experiences but I find it difficult these days to respect the Gardai when they don't respect the law they are supposed to be upholding. They themselves are clearly breaking the law in Rossport and have assaulted many innocent, peaceful people in Mayo (and elsewhere).

How are they able to get away with this when it's all on camera? Why doesn't the Ombudsman or whoever do something?
    And who can you report to and look for help from when it's the Gardai who are committing the crime!?

What's happening on our West coast with Shell is an absolute national disgrace and Guards are right in there defending Shell and beating up the very people they are supposed to be protecting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Yes
    You had my attention and sympathy until you said "I've been at a few protests..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

My dealings with the gardai overall is positive, I think it is a professional, disciplined and public friendly force, I personally believe they do a hard job as well as they can.

But I would prefer any investigative force or any complaints towards the gardes would be dealt with by an independent body, not in house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I would think the majority of people including myself would have both positive and negative dealings with the law.

Advertisement