Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil Replacement?

Options
  • 06-04-2011 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just looking for something to replace oil in baking recipes. I'm not sure what it is actually used for as in, is it a binding agent and if so than could you just use banana or mashed apple?

I don't really just want to reduce the amount used as I just don't like using that much oil. So if a recipe calls for say one cup oil would anyone know what to replace it with and than how much of the replacement.

Any ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's not a binding agent (neither would apple or banana imo). Don't know what I'd callit, but it keep cakes and sucj moist.
    And don't think you can easily replace it unless you go for synthetic ingredients

Oil, butter etc are just needed in lots of these. If you don't want it, use something else.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I think I've heard of people using applesauce as a replacement for oil, but they generally do half and half. I don't know how it turns out, but you could try. Depends on what you're making too - any replacement will affect the final flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

I found the original question quite fascinating - because although I cook every day I had never actually questioned the purpose of fat in baking.

I found this site http://www.baking911.com/howto/how_baking_works.htm and I think it will answer many of your queries, includng the use of fruit as a substitute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Thanks nonpere that's a great link, very interesting.

I am gonna try the applesauce, it's really for things such as carrot cake and also there is a good recipe in the cooking club for courgette bread that I want to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

I bake with applesauce all the time and it rules. You can usually replace the same amount for the oil but it does depend on the recipe and can take some experimentation, but I generally find if I'm using applesauce I'm using 0-3tbsp oil which is decent. As well, you might want to slightly reduce the sugar called for to allow for the sweetness of the apples. For carrot cakes, like you say, it works really well. I've made some pretty impressive brownies with it too! I use it in eggless baking though, so I wouldn't know how they'd bake together, but I'm sure it'd be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 IndigoBlue

I saw a carrot cake recipe somewhere using fresh or canned pineapple as well so that's another alternative, can I ask did you make your own applesauce (and if so, do tell how!) or buy it?

I buy applesauce, a big jar is usually just over €2. Maybe blending peeled and cored apples in a blender would work? It would have to be a pretty powerful blender though!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 IndigoBlue

I think applesauce is just cooked apples with added augar as far as I know :confused:

Yeah, you're right, apparently it is cooked apple. If you google 'apple purée' there's loads of recipes for making it yourself. Alternatively, I get a 700ml jar of it for €2.04 so buying it doesn't exactly break the bank. I go for unsweetened as well because it's sweet enough as it is and if you're baking with it you're probably going to be adding sugar anyway.

Just thinking of it now because it confused me when I was looking for it first, 'applesauce' seems to be the American term for it, whereas over here it's generally called 'apple purée' and you'll more than likely find it in the health food shop.

Advertisement