Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opeth Part Ways with Per

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

That's bad news. I really liked what he did with the band and thought he was a definite member now. I'm interested in seeing who the replacement is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Reminds me of how they sacked their guitarist, who had been with the band for something like 14 years because his songs were reputedly not good enough. Although it was something of a mutual thing Akerfeldt came across as a bit of an arrogant knob for saying it, he even tried apologizing for it in the interview before re-iterating his original stance, so he wasn't really that sorry at all. I like their music but he's a bit of a smug git and the rationales for sacking him kinda reminded of the uber competitive sports complex of in some quarters of metal. That would be a really cool genre actually, sports metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Reminds me of how they sacked their guitarist, who had been with the band for something like 14 years because his songs were reputedly not good enough.

Ah I don't think they Sacked Peter. He said he just wasn't 100% into being a touring band member now. All though maybe there was pressure from Mike to leave, but I'd hope not. I mean Peter had been there for a long time without contributing songs. I know the interview you're talking about, and yes, they said they didn't like what he was writing, but I didn't get the impression they were going to kick him out!

As for Per, I'm disappointed he's leaving. He fit into the band well I thought, and he seemed like a cool guy. Maybe Mike is on a bit of a power trip and not letting anyone else write songs, Hetfield style?

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Ah I don't think they Sacked Peter. He said he just wasn't 100% into being a touring band member now. All though maybe there was pressure from Mike to leave, but I'd hope not. I mean Peter had been there for a long time without contributing songs. I know the interview you're talking about, and yes, they said they didn't like what he was writing, but I didn't get the impression they were going to kick him out!

As for Per, I'm disappointed he's leaving. He fit into the band well I thought, and he seemed like a cool guy. Maybe Mike is on a bit of a power trip and not letting anyone else write songs, Hetfield style?

In that interview, did you notice that the interviewer is really bad? I've seen the other interviews hes done with meshuggah, dragonforce and other bands and hes possibly the worst interviewer I've ever seen, its like hes really unconfident about the words he's using to ask the questions and he usually finishes his questions hanging in mid sentence.

As for Peter, he might just be trying to save face, dunno though. I remember reading that he had grown tired of the mega worldwide industry that Opeth had become to paraphrase his words. That would be funny if he was on a power trip, Metallica are certainly a barrel of laughs for those kind of ego antics.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

That's a shame, enjoyed what he done with Opeth, but to be honest I never really saw as much else as a side member for the road - do like what he's been doing with Spiritual Beggars.

As for Peter, I don't think I'm totally sure on what terms he left in, but it was probably good enough, I would tend to believe him when he said he lost enthusiasm to play for Opeth and consistently going through the strain of continuous tours. Losing himself and Lopez in the space of year was sickening for Åkerfeldt I'd imagine.

I'll look forward to see who'll replace Per.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

Just heard about this, its a shame. Really enjoyed Per's contribution to Watershed, he was fitting in nicely as a full time member. At least he finished recording this album before they parted ways, no disruption to the album itself - unless of course if there was tension during the writing and recording process. Is it too much to ask for a stable Opeth lineup for the next few years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

JBnaglfar wrote: »
    Is it too much to ask for a stable Opeth lineup for the next few years?

I reckon it will be a revolving door unfortunately. Great band, but very much "Mikael's band" in terms of member input, etc.

I reckon it will be a revolving door unfortunately. Great band, but very much "Mikael's band" in terms of member input, etc.

Hmmm, even though I like Opeth I'm kinda put off that its "Mikaels band," its the same reason I've grown weary of Radiohead for being Thom's band and why I prefer SOADs first album to their last one where it became Darrons band. Its just too much of one individual having their way with everything.

I definitely agree there. I like Mikael's music, but it would put me off a bit if he didn't take any input from the others.

@nyarlothothep, yeah I've seen other ones by him with Mikael I think. I just got the impression his English was bad and that's what was holding him back. But I see where you're coming from

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

wouldn't put me off at all. From almost day one it has been Mikael's band.

I read somewhere that Per wasn't getting enough of a wage to support himself and his family, wonder if there's any truth to it.

His actual leaving won't affect the band at all in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

wouldn't put me off at all. From almost day one it has been Mikael's band.

This is why i'm surprised Peter Lindgren stayed as long as he did in Opeth. He is far too talented to not have a major input in any band he's in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Porcupine tree is to Steven wilson as opeth is to....
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭weisses

anyone can play keyboard ... no big deal

weisses wrote: »
    anyone can play keyboard ... no big deal

Troll?

Anyone can play guitar.... no big deal

While keyboardfs aren't the most important part of Opeth's music, they can add a lot. And Per did a nice job of adding a bit of flavour without being over the top. Live especially

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

I thought Per had a great stage presence, oozed cool on stage for a keyboard player. I loved his work on Watershed esp The Lotus Eater .Watershed was a let down to a lot of my friends maybe down to the keyboards/more progressive path.

As much as I love Opeth and know it is all mainly Mike, as said above it would seem lousy of him not to take on any creative input from band members

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Troll?

Anyone can play guitar.... no big deal

While keyboardfs aren't the most important part of Opeth's music, they can add a lot. And Per did a nice job of adding a bit of flavour without being over the top. Live especially

No troll ... just different opinion that's all ffs

Opeth is not gonna sound different with a new person hammering on that keyboard

weisses wrote: »
    Opeth is not gonna sound different with a new person hammering on that keyboard

Ah I dunno. I mean as Nea said, with Watershed it definitely had a more progressive rock sound than the usual Opeth style. It has a lot more emphasis on keyboards and Per was awesome on stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Per actually headbanged like a crazy f*ck for a keyboardist!

The only keyboard player who I will miss would be ..Christian "Flake" Lorenz ;):p

Advertisement