Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with Dissertation

• 06-04-2011 9:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭

Hey guys :) I got the go- ahead from the mods on this one. So could you all please write the last 4000 words of my dissertation for wed fortnight please? Ok, not quite...

I'm looking for some direction, and I figured I'd ask here. My paper is on the anti-terrorism and privacy landscape, and how photographers and the photograph are being impacted (or not, as the case may be). My chapter 1 is on anti-terrorism legislation in the UK, with lots of examples from I'm a photographer.. etc and various other sources about restrictions being placed on photojournalists, tourists, etc. Chapter 2 is on privacy, and recent shifts towards Art 8 of the European Charter of Human Rights, and the right to a private life over freedom of expression. Chapter 3 is on how it's impacting on the image, and I'm coming up a little short on practical examples. My problem is that there seems to be more of a lack of images than a shift in gaze..

What I'm specifically looking for (and I *am* researching myself! Just sometimes people look at it from an angle I haven't seen before) is specific example of specific photojournalists or street photographers changing their practice, and the resultant image, as a form of state/cultural censorship, or self-censorship for fear of it. It'd be great if it were a well known photographer (or even better - from a peer-reviewed article ) but hobbyists are as much a part of this as established professionals. I have lots of anecdotal evidence of how things are changing from various sources, but surprisingly little on the actual *impact* of it.

So, have you seen a book/ exhibition/ artists talk where there's been a shift in gaze as a result of the dreaded censorship thing? Or can you give me concrete examples of your work changing as a result of it? Or has it not at all? I'd very much appreciate any and all comments.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

This is a difficult problem. As the vast majority of Photographers work independently these shifts will also affect them at that level.

It is like trying to research an endangered species of animal to see how close it is to extinction. So what you are trying to do is document the vacuum which has been left.

Maybe you can look at various people who have had a fairly consistent output to work and show how this has declined or ceased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

Taking the image is not so much the big problem, it's what you do or can do with it afterwards where it begins to impact.

E.G. Brighton Fringe Festival ....http://hotshoeblog.wordpress.com/2010/10/01/photo-censorship-controversy-at-brighton-photo-fringe-as-photographer-claims-festival-asks-him-to-remove-photos/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

@tony - that's exactly it - I'm showing a vacuum. I'll use that - thanks :)

@Tommie - that's perfect :D Thanks (again!). Curation is also part of this - I should have mentioned..

Any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭NooSixty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

I think the reason you're not finding much evidence of a shift in image taking is mainly that it's not there to find. We are at the very start of this process and not the end, where if, and thats a big if, certain types of photography (street for instance) are banned/restricted, photographers will have to adjust what and how they make images.

I know you've stated (elsewhere) that there is a move towards the French model, but I don't believe there is. The French model is pretty unique (Germany has a watered down version of it) as indeed are a lot of things French! Copyrighting the lights on the Eiffel Tower for instance. It has indeed resulted in the fact that the land that brought us Atget,Bresson, Doisneau and Kertesz has no notable street photographers today. As a positive example of how this law has restricted photography is Nick Turpins new book "The French" (he's English and lives partly in France) which he has released everywhere except in France.

I would also not be as pessimistic about Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights as you. The act does not as you say give "right to a private life over freedom of expression" but rather balances those rights with "protection of the rights and freedoms of others" It is also extremely broad in how it can be implemented in different countries taking regard of a variety of factors that may differ hugely such as , National Security, Economic and Moral well being etc.

Of course there will inevitably be a different emphasis put on privacy in the future but I don't see that becoming draconian such as in France.

The UK of course is a different story with the driver being anti-terrorism not privacy per se, though the privacy campaigners have of course piggy backed on this. No less a luminary than Martin Parr has said that street photography will be banned in 20 years, but I think he is wrong. In fact street photography has (thankfully) had a resurgance in the past year and driven to a large extent by UK photographers. The largest Festival in the UK, Format in Derby, had Street Photography as it's theme this year and it's open submission on line attracted 10000 high quality entries. It's list of speakers was second to none too.

For the first time in decades (due to lack of interest and not privacy issues) street photography is back as being a "cool" thing to photograph, is being displayed in galleries again, printed in publications, even creeping into the advertising industry and is also being purchased by the general public.

Personally, as someone who shoots a lot of street, I can't say I'm affected by what I take or how I take it as of now, except for the fact that I avoid going to France. If the laws were changed would I change. Well as long as they are not French type laws ( as far as I know photography is specifically mentioned) I would think probably not. Having a law does not neccessarily mean that law will be enacted by everyone on every corner. Very few people use the Defamation laws for instance vis vis the amount of people who are potentially defamed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement