Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help,threatening to tenant !

Options
  • 06-04-2011 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hello all,

My tenant is moving out next weekend,they are late with last rent payment for a 7 days.I`m scared that they will use deposit as last rent.At the same time they are telling me that they will pay,but they are avoiding and keep promising.They are on SW and house still same as they moved in and I did not registered with PRTB.

I got angry and sended wrong messege to my tenant.
    "Just letting u now that I will be out to house tomorrow morning and rent better be there.Cause I am going to report u to social.And get all ur rent stopped if u wana go down this road"

Just wondering,what my tenant can do in this situation,because now i understand that it was completely threatening msg.
    Or best way for me is letting them to go.

Any advice ,please!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

Would it be the end of the world if they used deposit as last month's rent?

You say the house is the same as it was.

There are too many dodgy landlords around and hanging on to deposits for spurious reasons happens after almost every letting, so more and more tenants are holding out on last month's rent. It might not but legal but it's becoming the norm now too and when you're on social welfare you can't afford to lose your deposit. If you're not out of pocket through damage I'd let it go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Not sure what happened to the last post I wrote out on this thread?:confused:

Nonetheless, I will re-iterate.

You, OP, are a disgrace. How dare you not register with PRTB as you are legally required to do so.

Its amateurish, greedy, tax dodging landlords like yourself that cause huge amounts of difficulty for decent tenants, and leads them to distrust landlords as a whole.

By the way, their deposit IS NOT YOUR MONEY. Especially if the are RA tenants they will need their depoist in order to secure a new place.

Speaking of which, why did you need to point out they were on social welfare?

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭padz

Darlughda wrote: »
    Speaking of which, why did you need to point out they were on social welfare?

because rent allowance is given to pay part of the overall rent, its given to the tennant to contribute to the rent, i would rekon that this is what the landlord is on about, regardless of how hes payin him he has no right to threaten his tennant in that way, a normal verbal & then written letter should be enough to get the money movin if not isint there a deposit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

peter93 wrote: »

Just wondering,what my tenant can do in this situation,because now i understand that it was completely threatening msg.

Well what they can do in return for that totally uncalled for text message threatening to report them to 'social' is to report you to PRTB and Revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

Hello all,
    Any advice ,please!
    Didn't you get a text back yet " I won't be at home tomorrow morning i need to go to the revenue and prtb to report you" ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

"Just letting u now that I will be out to house tomorrow morning and rent better be there.Cause I am going to report u to social.And get all ur rent stopped if u wana go down this road"

To be honest, if my landlord gave me a message like that, he could whistle for any rent I owed!

And I'd be slapping the PTRB on him as fast as!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 turnraintocash

Hello all,

My tenant is moving out next weekend,they are late with last rent payment for a 7 days.I`m scared that they will use deposit as last rent.At the same time they are telling me that they will pay,but they are avoiding and keep promising.They are on SW and house still same as they moved in and I did not registered with PRTB.

Any advice ,please!

I actually HOPE your tennants already gone and leave you high and dry. Not registering with the PRTB? Sending threatening texts? Its Landlords like you that make me SICK. Last Christmas I was moving out of an apartment, and had already given the landlord a months written notice. I spent two days cleaning the apartment it was spotless, and then my fiance drove two hundred miles to return the key and collect the deposit in all the snow and deadly roads, only to be told we were not getting our 800euro back. The WEEK before Christmas. What goes around comes around. Its called Karma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 turnraintocash

Hello all,

Any advice ,please!

By the way, we have standards and procedures to follow here in Ireland that have been laid down to protect people on both sides of a lease. You should look them up if you are going to rent your house again, it may surprise you what you find.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Any advice ,please!

Yeah.

Grow a heart, then a brain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

that was a nasty message, but hey it was done in a fit of anger. Depends what your tenants are like, after getting that message he might go nuts with a mallet on your property.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'm a good tenant imo, pay on time, never hassle the landlord but after being burned by amateur landlords twice I always use my deposit for the last month
    Lots do and the reason is down to amateur landlords like you.

Best landlord I ever had owned several houses and was in the business for years.

But nowadays there are lots of people with second homes and they either don't care or won't take the time to educate themselves on what needs to be done. More to being a landlord then watching rent lodged every month
    Damn amateurs have no clue about being a landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

FFS another amateur giving landlords a bad name. Boils my blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Mental, has to be a wind up

Advertisement