Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science/Maths Teaching

Options
  • 06-04-2011 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

I have always been interested in doing science in college and then progressing to be a research scientist, however for a few different reasons im beginning to think that second level teaching is the way for me.
    I would like to teach biology chemisty and maths.
    Does anyone know how i would get qualified for this? And also any teachers out there with any advice?
    Advantages/disadvantages, upsides/downsides of being a teacher?
    Experiences good and bad you'd like to share?
    How do you know if your a natural teacher - if you have the confidence and ability to stand up in front of a class full of students?
    Think i should add I'm doing the leaving cert not in college.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

While there are lots of understandable sensitivities about unqualified people teaching part time Id recommend you try get a bit of subbing to see if you have the 'knack'/'control'.For the little youll learn if you go on to do the HDipEd it will give you a very good impression of how youll likely get on .As well as being by and large of very limited use the Dip year will make you curse 'notes' and develop a career long aversion to them .Alas the increasingly common trend is towards paperwork in every possible aspect of the profession .A policy on policies can only be round the corner after all we already have a coordinator of coordinators in our school...Apparently there are upwards of thirty policies currently required by schools and the number is increasing all the time .Principals get these formulated by forming committees of willing and not so willing mug teachers to write them up .While the increase in discipline MAY be SLIGHTLY overstated the massive rise in non teaching 'work' is an insidious plague on teaching .I seriously reckon that an 'average' class teacher does more work nowadays than a principal would have 15-20 years ago.The increase in the last few years has been staggering and all signs suggest its going to get a LOT worse .Dip students and beginning teachers could easily be up till midnight working on class plans etc etc ...Short working day and long holidays be damned ...would have been in a mental hospital LONG before now but for the Summer...

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Caireann

How does the hdip work?

Advertisement