Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EducoGym - Could it be dangerous?

Options
  • 06-04-2011 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Couchkitten

Hi All,

I have read bad reviews on boards about this gym but I just want to do if it could have an immediate dangerous effect to your health.

My boyfriend has joined the gym with the aim of putting on 2 stone. They have given him a ridiculous diet consisting of 1lb of meat a day, not enough vegetables, 400g of fish and no carbs whatsoever. He has also been given protein shakes and supplements (Amino energise) and he's been told to take 15 of these tablets a day. He's also been given Cretin.

He keeps telling me that the diet is only this extreme for 2 weeks. But as he is someone who has always been light, never been a big eater and actually already has high cholesterol for his age - do you think that it could do immediate damage to his health?

I know I could be over-reacting but it's such a dramatic change to his diet and I don't approve of any supplements particularly when you have been told to take 15 a day.

If anyone could offer their opinion, I'd be very grateful.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Seems a little extreme, I doubt it's dangerous. I wouldn't be any kind of expert mind you.

As for the supplements, protein, creatine and amino acids are nothing to worry about healthwise. They are probably a waste of money though, if he's eating that much meat and a day I seriously doubt he needs protein supplements.

No way would I follow that plan. I eat a pound of meat nearly every day though, so I don't bother with supplements very often. But I eat like that for the last 2 years, not 2 weeks. You can't front load protein or anything so why go that extreme?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭robodonkey

The EducoGym seems to like to sell the Powders and potions.
    A balanced diet will give you all you need (with a little thought). This sounds like not-a-balanced diet, so in my view would be unsustainable (gains would be lost when "normal operating procedure" would resume).

Creatine is a supplement, supplementing a balanced diet.

Lots of folks use creatine to help faster recovery, but it's not a substitute/panacea.

Point your other half at the forum here - I've been lurking long enough to see good info and experienced advise being dispensed by qualified folks (see the stickies).

Either way, dont burst his bubble, he's got what I'd call "traction" (hard to find sometimes) so maybe steer him gently towards this section of the forums :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

He's also been given Cretin.

I believe creatine is the word you're looking for....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kapow

No real need to be going on creatine as you say he has just joined the gym. Same with the amino energize. It's not harmful though.

He does want to put on 2 stone however, which he should realize will take some time to happen.

For every kg you want to put on (and keep on) you need to increase protein/ carbohydrate intake by approx 10% for each 1kg.

Lots of meat, plenty of carbs and healthy oils daily.
    +
    Weights and Aerobic Training will allow him to gain the 2 stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Sounds like a stupid nutrition plan from some bro-trainer. Tell him to learn about nutrition, and make his own meal plan. If he is consuming that much meat/fish, protein supplements are simply a waste of money. Creatine isn't even needed for beginners, and I'd almost bet that he was told to do a loading phase(which isn't necessary).

• Advertisement

In fairness, it's likely to be more dangerous to his wallet than his body....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

It'll be fairly dangerous to his wallet.

Beaten by SV by a microsecond...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

SanoVitae wrote: »

No cretin is educo speak for PT.

Everyone that goes to educo gets their own personal Cretin.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Couchkitten

SanoVitae wrote: »

:o Yes that was it. Ok thanks guys - I've calmed down a little. I don't think I could burst his bubble but I've certainly been nagging him to death all evening. I just thought he might have a heart attack or something. He's currently sleeping from eating all that food today :) But I'll be pointing him towards this board tomorrow.

There is good fats included in the diet (avocado and nuts) but I just feel like they have given him the standard diet that they throw to anyone.

After all, why on earth would you tell someone who needs to put on weight that he should eat no carbs (not even good carbs) Just feel that they are completely ripping him off even if he isn't going to drop dead from the diet in a week.

• Advertisement

After all, why on earth would you tell someone who needs to put on weight that he should eat no carbs (not even good carbs) Just feel that they are completely ripping him off even if he isn't going to drop dead from the diet in a week.

Educogym don't have a monopoly on eating big.
    Your boyfriend can eat all the above without giving them his money.
    Actually the amount of money he will give them in over the course of a fortnight would probably pays for a years membership in a Ben Dunne gym.

Zamboni wrote: »
    Educogym don't have a monopoly on eating big.
    Your boyfriend can eat all the above without giving them his money.
    Actually the amount of money he will give them in over the course of a fortnight would probably pays for a years membership in a Ben Dunne gym.

Grrr - he's in trouble about that so....we're supposed to be saving. He's lucky he's asleep right now. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Grrr - he's in trouble about that so....we're supposed to be saving. He's lucky he's asleep right now. :mad:

I like your style. go get him:D

Go easy on him. He is doing it for you, you lucky lass :)
    I'm guessing he is in Educo Dundrum?
    So just kick his ass down to a cheap gym like the Carlisle or UCD.

If he uses the Time Machine at Educo, he'll be able to get his money back....

Go easy on him. He is doing it for you, you lucky lass :)
    I'm guessing he is in Educo Dundrum?
    So just kick his ass down to a cheap gym like the Carlisle or UCD.

Yes, he's in Educo in Dundrum. He's not doing this for me at all, we've been together 10 years and he's always been slim. Nope I was worried about him. But now I'm just mad. It seems like he's been a bit of eejit about all of this. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Low carb to put on muscle? That I'd like to see. It's much less efficient, if it even works to a significant degree. Of course, Educo Gym will tell him that for the 2 pounds weight gain, he lost 10 pounds of fat and put on 12 of muscle.

Chancers...

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭gavtron

ah man...educogym...weight gain...low carb...worries about supplements...i wish hanley was here!!

rocky wrote: »
    Low carb to put on muscle? That I'd like to see. It's much less efficient, if it even works to a significant degree.

At the risk of going ot, what do you think is the minium carb requirement to build muscle on a per kilo basis?

At the risk of going ot, what do you think is the minium carb requirement to build muscle on a per kilo basis?

You need some carbs, I think something lim 1g per pound of bodyfat within 2 hours of training. Depends on the training though.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

You need some carbs, I think something lim 1g per pound of bodyfat within 2 hours of training. Depends on the training though.

Should this be body weight instead of body fat??

Should this be body weight instead of body fat??

Ah feck, it should be.

I should have just pasted the link to the sticky Will wrote on pre post workout nutrition anyway.

they/them/theirs

Zero :). That does not mean it's optimal. for building muscle, these matter:

1) train hard with weights - obviously this suffers if you have close to zero carbs in your system.
    2) excess calories - difficult (but not impossible) to get them from protein only, which the OPs diet seems to be. And the amount of good fats is very small in OPs diet. (I disagree about nuts being 'good' fats [except macademias], but that's another story).

This extreme protein based diet is counterproductive, the stress on your liver to produce glucose from protein must be quite high. This is ok for a week or so when attempting to drop fat quickly on a PSMF-type diet, but build muscle on it? No.

So why make it more difficult than it has to be? And pay a sh!tload of money for the privilege?

Zero :). That does not mean it's optimal. for building muscle, these matter:

1) train hard with weights - obviously this suffers if you have close to zero carbs in your system.
    2) excess calories - difficult (but not impossible) to get them from protein only, which the OPs diet seems to be. And the amount of good fats is very small in OPs diet. (I disagree about nuts being 'good' fats [except macademias], but that's another story).

This extreme protein based diet is counterproductive, the stress on your liver to produce glucose from protein must be quite high. This is ok for a week or so when attempting to drop fat quickly on a PSMF-type diet, but build muscle on it? No.

So why make it more difficult than it has to be? And pay a sh!tload of money for the privilege?

Ah here, you can't say that and not elaborate :D
    Start a thread in nutrition...

It's a short one really, most nuts are full of PUFA n-6 fats, which are not particularly 'healthy'. They are at best indifferent (when you have a good balance with n-3), or they promote inflamation in greater quantities. Macadamias are mostly MUFAs which are better than PUFAs, but don't go overboard :)

Don't get me wrong, I have my daily Meridian PB, but I don't eat it for health, only for taste and calories.

If you want healthy fats, go for mostly saturated ones, like coconut, butter, and n-3 in fish (oils) only if you want to balance the n-6. PUFAs are in general quite unstable and susceptible to oxidation.

It's a short one really, most nuts are full of PUFA n-6 fats, which are not particularly 'healthy'. They are at best indifferent (when you have a good balance with n-3), or they promote inflamation in greater quantities. Macadamias are mostly MUFAs which are better than PUFAs, but don't go overboard :)

Don't get me wrong, I have my daily Meridian PB, but I don't eat it for health, only for taste and calories.

If you want healthy fats, go for mostly saturated ones, like coconut, butter, and n-3 in fish (oils) only if you want to balance the n-6. PUFAs are in general quite unstable and susceptible to oxidation.

Ah cool. I thought you were going to drop some 'nuts are bad' bombshell on me.
    I use brazil nuts for calories myself. 50g around 350kcal nyom.

Anyway that Educo Gym. Shocking stuff altogther...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ailow

I joined educogym two weeks ago. after doing the horrific diet for 10 days i had to go back to the doctor where i was told i had extremly low blood pressure and was told to stop the diet immediatley as it was making me sick. i am only getting back to normal health. the people in the gym went mad when i brought in a letter from the doctor i had paid for 3 months membership and they wont refund any of my money. id advise people to stay away from this gym unless you wanna lose weight by starving yourself and being ill

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

If your BF wants to get big you could buy him a copy of Starting Strength, he could do that. Squat heavy and drink a shedload of milk and he'll be set for weight gain.

Just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭jasonf9ace

he definetely wants some carbs in his diet not for just gaining weight but also for energy keep his body functioning with all the training etc.Something with a low GI like oats pre workout and something high in GI post workout like dextrose or some fruits should do the trick.I dont get what people and all these low carbs fad diets are about pretty crazy really :mad:. Want to add weight eat more.Want to lose weight eat less simple as :D.

• Advertisement

jasonf9ace wrote: »
    he definetely wants some carbs in his diet not for just gaining weight but also for energy keep his body functioning with all the training etc.Something with a low GI like oats pre workout and something high in GI post workout like dextrose or some fruits should do the trick.I dont get what people and all these low carbs fad diets are about pretty crazy really :mad:. Want to add weight eat more.Want to lose weight eat less simple as :D.

You don't understand low carb diets, so they must be a fad? I think you need to tip over to the Nutrition Forum and read some of the threads on Atkins

they/them/theirs

Advertisement