Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EducoGym - Could it be dangerous?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭jasonf9ace

You don't understand low carb diets, so they must be a fad? I think you need to tip over to the Nutrition Forum and read some of the threads on Atkins
    Definetely wouldnt be an expert but know enough to make an informed decision to avoid low carb diets. Did some reading up on it already before thank you very much:D.As far as i remember you basically cut out most carbs to bring your body into a state of keto to help you burn up fat storages or something along those lines.What ever happened to the good oul days of simply a good diet and cardio to lose that belly?:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

jasonf9ace wrote: »
    Definetely wouldnt be an expert but know enough to make an informed decision to avoid low carb diets. Did some reading up on it already before thank you very much:D.As far as i remember you basically cut out most carbs to bring your body into a state of keto to help you burn up fat storages or something along those lines.What ever happened to the good oul days of simply a good diet and cardio to lose that belly?:D

Nothing happened to them. A low carb diet is a good diet. Simple.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭jasonf9ace

Nothing happened to them. A low carb diet is a good diet. Simple.
    A good macro like for example 40 protein 40 carbs and 20 fat works fine for me and many others im sure for their goals whatever they may be so i dont see the need for a low carb diet.Easy maths want to gain weight eat more calories than you burn.Want to lose weight burn more calories than you consume.With that said we could argue about it until hell freezes over like im sure many have but i dont see the point as you have your opinion and i have mine and you nor I are gonna change anyones opinions so we should just leave it at that.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭gavney1

:o Yes that was it. Ok thanks guys - I've calmed down a little. I don't think I could burst his bubble but I've certainly been nagging him to death all evening. I just thought he might have a heart attack or something. He's currently sleeping from eating all that food today :) But I'll be pointing him towards this board tomorrow.

There is good fats included in the diet (avocado and nuts) but I just feel like they have given him the standard diet that they throw to anyone.

After all, why on earth would you tell someone who needs to put on weight that he should eat no carbs (not even good carbs) Just feel that they are completely ripping him off even if he isn't going to drop dead from the diet in a week.

don't be too worried about whey/ creatine.

I have a doctor friend who claimed that Whey was bad for me and to be careful - I asked her why? She didn't know, and she didn't even know what Whey was, just that it's not good for you....

This same doctor smokes heavily, binge drinks quite a bit and used to eat takeaways nearly every night.

The diet itself doesn't sound that great, but that's not because there's anything inherently bad about creatine/ whey.
    It's probably just not very balanced

Fair play to you though for looking out for you bf's health

jasonf9ace wrote: »
    A good macro like for example 40 protein 40 carbs and 20 fat works fine for me and many others im sure for their goals whatever they may be so i dont see the need for a low carb diet.Easy maths want to gain weight eat more calories than you burn.Want to lose weight burn more calories than you consume.With that said we could argue about it until hell freezes over like im sure many have but i dont see the point as you have your opinion and i have mine and you nor I are gonna change anyones opinions so we should just leave it at that.:D

The thing is though, that a lot of people who read these threads don't have opinions. They come here with an open mind, looking for advice.

Also, when an opinion has a medical / scientific basis, and another is anecdotal, I personally (as is my right) choose to follow the one with the scientific basis.

Obviously though you are correct when you say Calories in < Calories Out = Weight Loss. For the majority of people it really is that simple. Want to lose a few pounds? Eat less, do more.

Want to keep those pounds off though? Then we start to get into macros of diets.

I have only been taking care of myself properly in the last year, and have made fairly substantial changes to my diet and my lifestyle. Without threads and discussions about macros / calories / links to training schedules / posts about correct form for weight lifting, I wouldn't have been able to do any of that.

Educating yourself is step one
    Using the education is step two
    Consistence and Perseverance will get you to where you want to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gymsoldier

Hi All,

I have read bad reviews on boards about this gym but I just want to do if it could have an immediate dangerous effect to your health.

My boyfriend has joined the gym with the aim of putting on 2 stone. They have given him a ridiculous diet consisting of 1lb of meat a day, not enough vegetables, 400g of fish and no carbs whatsoever. He has also been given protein shakes and supplements (Amino energise) and he's been told to take 15 of these tablets a day. He's also been given Cretin.

He keeps telling me that the diet is only this extreme for 2 weeks. But as he is someone who has always been light, never been a big eater and actually already has high cholesterol for his age - do you think that it could do immediate damage to his health?

I know I could be over-reacting but it's such a dramatic change to his diet and I don't approve of any supplements particularly when you have been told to take 15 a day.

If anyone could offer their opinion, I'd be very grateful.

Just noticed a few things here, what weight is your boyfriend at for him to have to gain two stone.

And, the diet they gave is only for two weeks? Is he expected to have gained two stone after two weeks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

gymsoldier wrote: »
    Just noticed a few things here, what weight is your boyfriend at for him to have to gain two stone.

And, the diet they gave is only for two weeks? Is he expected to have gained two stone after two weeks?

I would imagine that after two weeks they'll switch the potions that they're selling him to something else, one must be dynamic to consistently make money by what some may think are dubious means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 stevemacirl

Ok, I think it's time to reply. I've read many posts on Educogym over the last while, here and elsewhere, and kept silent but I find if frustrating that there is little or no first person testimony from those who have had a bad experience, or a good experience for that matter, but there is, however, plenty of anecdotal posts along that lines of 'my friend went there' or 'my brother's friend said this' etc.

If I may, I'd like to give my first hand account.

I joined Educogym after a friend died suddenly at the age of 55. He was obese and sedentary. I was 44 when he died and also obese and sedentary. I saw his death as a warning and decided to do something about it.

I have, like so many, tried gym memberships again and again over the years and failed to commit to them, not through lack of interest in myself but through lack of knowledge. Once in the door, membership paid, I was set adrift to do as little or as much as I wanted, nobody motivated, instructed or indeed even noticed whether I was there or not, except when I cancelled my membership; then they noticed.

I joined Educogym on a 6 week trial offer because of the 'personal training' aspect of the gym. I then opted for a 2nd 6 week membership at the conclusion of the first.

Here's how it went.

The gym never once foisted supplements on me, they were on display, their function was explained, but they were not pushed.

I learned a tremendous amount from the trainer, enough that after the 12 week training period I had the confidence do it alone from then on and if I needed to supplement my knowledge, I knew what questions to ask to get the information I needed, whether that was from another trainer or online.

The diet is tough, initially. It is not a requirement that you remain on the strict initial diet, in fact, it is not recommended. The diet altered as the training progressed with the introduction of complex carbs and fruit based carbs after the initial period.

I am no longer a member of educogym and haven't been since August of 2010. Since leaving, I have been able to maintain my weight and have not yoyoed. My exercise regime is minimal, my diet healthy and my fitness good.

I am grateful for what I learned in educogym and for the results I achieved and for the fact that I have continued to live a healthier lifestyle since.

I am not going to post my results here unless asked as I am not here to advertise educogym, just to give a personal account. If anyone asks, I'll tell them.

For what it's worth, you get out of educogym exactly what you put in to it, exactly the same as any other gym. If you put in the effort, you'll get the results, educo-, bendunne-, localhotel- gym or otherwise.

I believe many of the critics are/were like I was, quick to blame the tool and not the craftsman. 'Nah, didn't work for me because it's crap' is probably the single most common excuse for a failure to lose weight; 'Nah, didn't work for me because I didn't put in the effort' is a lot less common.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

I learned a tremendous amount from the trainer, enough that after the 12 week training period I had the confidence do it alone from then on and if I needed to supplement my knowledge, I knew what questions to ask to get the information I needed, whether that was from another trainer or online.

slow learner ? :D;)
    I am not going to post my results here unless asked as I am not here to advertise educogym, just to give a personal account. If anyone asks, I'll tell them.

Do tell...

rocky wrote: »
    slow learner ? :D;)

Now that's not very nice, is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

the smileys usually signify a joke mate
    eg.educogym is good value for money...:D:P:pac::)

so what were your results as a matter of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 powersand

take as much pills and steroids as u can this is how u get BIG i should know cause i take them ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

powersand wrote: »
    take as much pills and steroids as u can this is how u get BIG i should know cause i take them ;)

Powersand banned for trolling

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Which one were you a member of? The standard and quality of trainer seems to vary quite a bit.

I don't doubt there's at least SOME good trainers under their branding.

Hanley wrote: »
    Which one were you a member of? The standard and quality of trainer seems to vary quite a bit.

I don't doubt there's at least SOME good trainers under their branding.

I was a member of the one in Oranmore. I would have to agree with your presumption that the standard probably varies greatly from one gym to another but as I only attended one, I can only comment on one. The trainers I worked with were by and large good, but of the four, one stood out as being exceptionally focused and thorough and another stood out for having on and off days, like everyone really.
    boomtown84 wrote: »
    the smileys usually signify a joke mate
    eg.educogym is good value for money...:D:P:pac::)

so what were your results as a matter of interest?

I know exactly what the smileys signify, and unfortunately some people think they can excuse themselves by using them even when they intend offense.

At the end of the twelve weeks I had gone from 15st 12lbs to 12st 4lbs. Since then my weight has fluctuated by only a couple of pounds in either direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

congrats on the weight loss.....you were lucky to find a good trainer.a lot spend a fortune in there and get diddley in return.

boomtown84 wrote: »
    congrats on the weight loss.....you were lucky to find a good trainer.a lot spend a fortune in there and get diddley in return.

Thanks, it was certainly worth the effort.

You may be right, it is expensive, but a lot spend a fortune on other types of gym memberships and also get diddley in return; results are a function of effort.

I just feel that there is far too much hearsay on the subject and not enough fact. The 'he said, she said' commentary is not worth the effort of reading. It is as useful as a journalist saying 'a source said' which is often a euphemism for 'I made the next bit up'.

Advertisement