Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rhebogue - Is it safe?

• 06-04-2011 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Relocating to Limerick and property seems cheaper in Rhebogue, its near the Parkway where I'll be working but I'm hearing a lot of negative things from one or two people... Anti-social behaviour etc.. They tell me I should move to Castletroy, but property is more expensive there. Can anyone tell me is Rhebogue as bad as they say? I know Limerick gets lots of bad press and the majority of it is unwarranted. Have been there quite a bit and I love the city, but just want to live somewhere safe... Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭irishproduce

I asked a similar question recently and was advised against it. So I took the advice of the users here. I am from Limerick but thought it best to ask people living there or who lived there in recent past.

On a side note, I wouldn't be buying any house.
    Rent I say, there's more falls ahead so you could be squirreling the money away for a house and then buy when they are actually at their real bottom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

Firstly , If you ask about any area in Limerick you will get people knocking it.. It's what we do..

I have been living here (Rhebogue) seven years and love the place.

Drominbeg, Rhebogue meadows, Dromroe, Rhebogue Hill are nice places. Anglers walk seems to get bad press on Boards.

Rhebogue is close to town, close to shopping, close to UL and has nice riverbank walks.

A good indiction of a nice area in my opinion is anywhere there is a high rate of home ownership. If people own their own house they will have an increased interest in keeping the area good. Rhebogue has a high rate of home ownership.

And remember, If you ask the same question about any other neighbourhood you will get people knocking it no matter how nice it really is.

As for safe and quiet- I sleep with my window open most nights and never hear a peep from my neighbours, never feel the need to lock my doors or set my alarm either for that matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Jofspring

niallers1 wrote: »
    As for safe and quiet- I sleep with my window open most nights and never hear a peep from my neighbours, never feel the need to lock my doors or set my alarm either for that matter.

Now that just sounds dodgy no matter where you live. I presume you just mean during the day when your there and not a night when sleeping.

I lock the door at night, during the day it's unlocked, even if I go to the supermarket.
    Alarm is never set, even if I'm away for weeks.

I feel very safe in my neighbourhood and would recommend it as a place to live and bring up a family.

People are nice here..I'm sure somebody else will have a different story but I suspect you will get that no matter where you live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I lock the door at night, during the day it's unlocked, even if I go to the supermarket.

jesus. I wouldnt publish that online mate, your home insurance wont cover you if you WERE robbed in that instance. Its fine to feel safe, but leaflet droppers allegedly notice these things...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

I lived in rhebogue (anglers walk) from the ages of 4 to 18 and then eventually moved 2 years ago, when I was younger it wasnt too bad but the place is an absolute sh1thole now and well before we left the scumbags there had and still have the area destroyed ive never been so happy to get out of a place in my life, it was a the scumbags that wrecked it. Im living in castletroy at the moment and its a much better area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Add into that reports of guys walking into peoples houses and robbing them while people are in the house, in another room watching telly etc.. This has been reported all over the country. Don't mean to be scare mongering but people have to be extra cautious to a certain extent all the time. Leaving a house unlocked while you aren't there is just asking to be robbed and as mentioned you won't be covered insurance wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Persiancowboy

My sister lives in Anglers' Walk and she's an absolute knacker......stay well away!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Plastic5

Thanks everyone, spoke with a few Estate Agents today, even when they had some on the books (including some of the 'nicer' places listed above) they advised me to stay away from Rhebogue, a lot of social housing in the newer estates now (not that theres anything wrong with social housing) but apparently a lot of undesireables have been housed in these estates. Think I'll rent in Castletroy, even the estate agents told me I'd be mad to buy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lawley

totally agreed with you.
    Firstly , If you ask about any area in Limerick you will get people knocking it.. It's what we do..

I have been living here (Rhebogue) seven years and love the place.

Drominbeg, Rhebogue meadows, Dromroe, Rhebogue Hill are nice places. Anglers walk seems to get bad press on Boards.

Rhebogue is close to town, close to shopping, close to UL and has nice riverbank walks.

A good indiction of a nice area in my opinion is anywhere there is a high rate of home ownership. If people own their own house they will have an increased interest in keeping the area good. Rhebogue has a high rate of home ownership.

And remember, If you ask the same question about any other neighbourhood you will get people knocking it no matter how nice it really is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I feel very safe in my neighbourhood and would recommend it as a place to live and bring up a family.

People are nice here..I'm sure somebody else will have a different story but I suspect you will get that no matter where you live.

Mmmm....Unlocked during the day & alarm off for weeks...not very sensible and applies to all areas

I assume you will be locking up and turning alarm on after you / your family have been robbed & traumatised :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

If you have house insurance and an alarm, your insurance doesn't cover you if the alarm isin't set when you leave the house. Even if you just pop over to the neighbour's for 2 mins and you're robbed. Pretty silly of you not to set the alarm if you have it.

As an aside, I was advised by an insurance company when I was thinking of getting house insurance and an alarm installed to 'not bother with the alarm', all it took was one housemate to forget to set it and my claim would be null and void in the event of a robbery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I know a lad living there who was telling me about young lads coming in from outside acting the larry, drinking, ars*ng around, but other than that it's no worse or better than anywhere else in town........

Even the north Circular road and the south circular road has council tennants. You can apply that to every estate in Limerick.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/bargain_ncr_house_is_bought_by_council_1_2956526

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭judosean2005

I live in Drominbeg,
    I moved in about 2 years ago.
    Since i moved in,Ive had the back window of one car smashed.
    ive had a 08 car stolen from front of my house.
    ive had kids jumping over walls stealing from my back garden,
    Ive had kids throwning stones at my 18month old twins.
    I get my door banged on and door bell rang about 5 times every night.

SSOooo. No im not a fan of this place.

Sean.

I would move out if I was you.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭augusta24

I'm new to the Limerick area but have paid a deposit on an apartment which is right on the parkway roundabout. I'm getting worried now after reading this thread... Can anyone advise me on their opinions of this location?
    It's a set of flats for students and has a security gate...
    I'm not familiar with Limerick but I do believe this is quite close to the rhebogue area?!

It's one of the safest and most convenient areas in Limerick to live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

augusta24 wrote: »
    I'm new to the Limerick area but have paid a deposit on an apartment which is right on the parkway roundabout. I'm getting worried now after reading this thread... Can anyone advise me on their opinions of this location?
    It's a set of flats for students and has a security gate...
    I'm not familiar with Limerick but I do believe this is quite close to the rhebogue area?!

Behind the accountants? Ah those are nice little flats. One thing you might wanna make sure is that your neighbours keep the main door downstairs closed. When my friends lived there we all knew the code for the gate and the front door was always open :pac:

www3.ul.ie/isks/How%20are%20Our%20Kids%20Full%20Report.pdf

Interesting report . It uses corbally & rhebogue as an average control group. Against other city areas.
    Rhebogue comes out very well in it.
    High levels of home ownership, high levels of 3rd level qualifications , family friendly and very good place to raise a family by the sounds of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The OP of this thread has made up their mind at this stage, 2 years on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod Post: Zombie thread receives required headshot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement