Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Bike

• 06-04-2011 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

Picked up a '00 F650gs Dakar this evening. Delighted with it! Big step up from the CityFly 125 in every way
    Can't insure it 'til I turn 21 in July though:mad:

I'll throw up a few pics when I can, no lights in the sheds at the minute.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Congrats on the new bike. Why can't you insure it until you turn 21 ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Grand bike them. Hide the keys till your insured lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

KTRIC wrote: »
    Congrats on the new bike. Why can't you insure it until you turn 21 ???
    Haven't a notion. None of the companies want my business.
    I've a full licence and three years no claims. Quinn will happily insure my 22 year old brother on it (learner permit, no experience) but not me 'til I turn 21.:rolleyes:
    Aon basically told me to cop on and get a 250, Adelaide and Carole Nash don't want to talk to under 25's.

1st of July, gonna be a long three months..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

If you have an existing policy with Quinn just tell them you've bought a new bike and want to transfer it over. Also, keep ringing them, they're different every time you ring in. Also a mate managed to get them to quote him about €1,100 on a GSXR600, 0 NCB, Learner permit and 24 y.o. by going into the office and chatting with your one for ages. Keep trying!

Simona1986 wrote: »
    If you have an existing policy with Quinn just tell them you've bought a new bike and want to transfer it over. Also, keep ringing them, they're different every time you ring in. Also a mate managed to get them to quote him about €1,100 on a GSXR600, 0 NCB, Learner permit and 24 y.o. by going into the office and chatting with your one for ages. Keep trying!
    Trying them all day yesterday and a couple of times this morning. Its madness, they'll insure me fairly cheaply in July so I'm obviously not that big a risk to them, they just have a blanket ban on under 21s instead of looking at it case by case.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Trying them all day yesterday and a couple of times this morning. Its madness, they'll insure me fairly cheaply in July so I'm obviously not that big a risk to them, they just have a blanket ban on under 21s instead of looking at it case by case.

Ask them for a written letter of refusal so you can follow it up with the Ombudsman, it might change their tune, it might not. worth a try though.

Yeah cheers Kami, reckon they'll just send me one out knowing fine well they can can charge me crazy money if I follow it up. I'll try it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Yeah cheers Kami, reckon they'll just send me one out knowing fine well they can can charge me crazy money if I follow it up. I'll try it though.

you really should try go into their offices - i have heard a good few cases of people going into them in person after being refused and coming out with a policy... well worth a go?

I'm based in Sligo. Not really worth a trip to Dublin on the off chance of getting insured.

Interesting development. Should be able to insure it once I get a restriction cert into them.

• Advertisement

Nice one. Bet your deligthed

Damn right. Still have to wait a week or two for the restrictor to arrive. Bought it there for £12.98.

12.98? That's over 100 cheaper than normal lol

Yeah, and thats including P&P from Germany! Its basically a metal bracket that stops the throttle cable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I'm based in Sligo. Not really worth a trip to Dublin on the off chance of getting insured.

They have an office in Cavan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Yeah, and thats including P&P from Germany! Its basically a metal bracket that stops the throttle cable.

From reading this thread I'd be calling Quinn to confirm they'll insure it without a cert.
    KamiKazi wrote: »
    They have an office in Cavan.

Directions here

Del2005 wrote: »
    From reading this thread I'd be calling Quinn to confirm they'll insure it without a cert.
    Why without a cert? I'll be certifying it when I restrict it, thats all they require.

Cheers kamikazi, didn't realise that, its still nearly two hours from home though. Might take a spin up...if I had a bike. :D

Pics as promised. I'll take a few better ones when I can get her up the mountain beside me, its spectacular up there.

photo0001d.jpg
    photo0003a.jpg
    photo0006a.jpg

Nice bike. Looks clean. I'd say it's fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Why without a cert? I'll be certifying it when I restrict it, thats all they require.

How will you be certifying it?

Is your supplier providing restrictions certs to prove it's restricted, are you getting a registered garage to fit it and certify it?

The person in that thread had a restricted ECU and was having trouble getting Quinn to cover them. All your going to have is a piece of metal. Which is all that restricted my bike but at least I had the FI International cert to prove it was restricted if needed.

I hope I'm wrong and you have no trouble getting insurance sorted but I've heard too many bad things about Quinn.

Nice bike, enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭traco

Lovely looking bike. Well wear, hope that anchor is not a substitute for brakes!!

How will you be certifying it?

Is your supplier providing restrictions certs to prove it's restricted, are you getting a registered garage to fit it and certify it?
    The supplier, Motorworks, can't provide certs. I can get a registered garage to certify it if needs be, hopefully it won't even come to that though.
    traco wrote: »
    Lovely looking bike. Well wear, hope that anchor is not a substitute for brakes!!
    Cheers traco, I prefer to think of it as an auxillary brake!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

OP, I finally replied to the thread above.
    Be prepared to be asked to confirm the restriction as it may well happen.

BTW, sweet bike. I was looking for a non-Dakar model at one point but prices were mental.
    Loving yours, specially with the panniers.
    Time for some green laning or a sneaky spin on a quiet beach :)

Bit of an update here.
    Finally got the bike insured today, the first day of rain we've seen since I got it!

The problem was that when I went to fit the restrictor I found that its actually factory restricted to 25kw! So I decided to wait on certs from BMW in order to avail of the insurance discount, they never came so I sent in a handwritten note from my mechanic confirming its restricted which was accepted as a cert.

Anyways I've been out on her all day in the rain and I'm still smiling. Delighted with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Enjoy it! You probably have no money left so I'm going to post this to annoy you
    http://www.bmw-gs-accessories.com/bmw-motorcycle-exhausts/bmw-f650gs-and-dakar-aftermarket-exhaust-round-up

Check out the sound they make in the video! You have to change the exhaust now!

Advertisement