Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is 2 cigaretts a month a smoker for life insurance

Options
  • 06-04-2011 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

hi there
    i wonder if you could help me out,
    my husband smokes 2 cigs when he goes for a drink, thats about once a month, so for insurance purposes should he declare himself as a smoker, and do they take inot account how little he smokes.
    he is happy to go non smoker but me been a worrier am afraid that if anything happens then our polisy could be voided

any help is appreciated
    thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,605 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Hello.
    Would imagine it doesn't really matter whether he smokes 2 per month or 200 per day- smoking is smoking.
    Perhaps the terms and conditions of policy might have clause specific to your question.
    Personally, I wouldn't risk the lie on application form.

Also- would imagine if push came to shove, the insurance company wouldn't pay up, if , for example, someone supplied photo of your OH with cig in hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Hi, even one cigarette/cigar a year and you are considered a smoker. If you stated on your application that he was a non smoker and it turns out that he smoked at the time you filled in that form then it is considered 'non disclosure' and that can effect any potential payout.

However if he was a non smoker at the time of taking out the policy and subsequently took them up then thats no problem whatsoever.

Advertisement