Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what will i do//////

• 06-04-2011 11:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭

ive 50 acres with rushes 2ft high,ive did soil tests,got them back today,i need to apply lime/fertiliser,iam goin to use gouldings limeand mix it through the fertliser,i also need to aerate the ground,question is where do i start,mow the rushes with a rotary,or topper,spray[iam goin to use mcpa],then apply lime and fertliser,or do i apply fertliser/lime and then spray,leave them how long befoe mowin/top them,areate then or before ido anything..........any advice welcome

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

You've alot goin on in your head :rolleyes:

One thing is for sure, fertiliser is gone too dear to go throwing it on to grow rushes.

You've made no mention of drainage. Would you not be better cut back on the amount of fertiliser you intend to use this year and spend the money on getting in a good man in with a track machine?

Clean up all existing drains and possibly stick in a few more.

Your only going to waste money, fertiliser, diesel, spray and your time if you go with any other plan this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

I wouldn't bother aerating at all. You won't get any benefit. Like previoous poster sort out drainage. Doesn't have to be pipes or anything fancy unless your fields are saucer shaped. Track machine in and dig deep open dikes around by the field boundary depends on the soil type but we are in marly land and ours are anywhere from 3' to 6' feet deep later if you want you can mole drain from the dikes.
    If it was me next i would mow rushes, plough and reseed put on my lime and fert and now you land is as good as anyones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭butt1

ive 50 acres with rushes 2ft high,ive did soil tests,got them back today,i need to apply lime/fertiliser,iam goin to use gouldings limeand mix it through the fertliser,i also need to aerate the ground,question is where do i start,mow the rushes with a rotary,or topper,spray[iam goin to use mcpa],then apply lime and fertliser,or do i apply fertliser/lime and then spray,leave them how long befoe mowin/top them,areate then or before ido anything..........any advice welcome[/QUOTE]
    forgot to say ,ive already done,my drainage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

butt1 wrote: »
    ive 50 acres with rushes 2ft high,ive did soil tests,got them back today,i need to apply lime/fertiliser,iam goin to use gouldings limeand mix it through the fertliser,i also need to aerate the ground,question is where do i start,mow the rushes with a rotary,or topper,spray[iam goin to use mcpa],then apply lime and fertliser,or do i apply fertliser/lime and then spray,leave them how long befoe mowin/top them,areate then or before ido anything..........any advice welcome
    forgot to say ,ive already done,my drainage[/QUOTE]

What is the soil like, is it rushy from poaching, left rundown or is it peaty, wetland.

Two foot rushes need to be cut and removed imo, if the field is dry do it asap. Apply fert and lime then. Spray when the rushes regrow. The need for aerating will depend on soil type.

have u used areator,any good:confused:

• Advertisement

the land has bein rented/poached,good quality soil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

If I was you I'd do like st1979 says and clean off the rushes, plough and reseed. I have been trying to get rid of rushes for a few years and while I've got rid of a good lot I'm still left with bad grassland. I'm going to have to plough and reseed anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Rushes 2' high suggest to me well grown woody type rush. Difficult enough to kill. You will get a better kill if you top them and spray the re-growth.
    Are they hedge to hedge or sparce clumps? This would influence how I deal with them.
    If not too thick on the ground and the fact that It's pushing on in the year though maybe at this stage I'd just burn off all and re-seed and deal with any fresh rush again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

To the OP, I would say, cut, gather, fertilize, and spray the regrowth. Maybe lime in the fall, as liming and fertilizer together sometimes is not the best.
    Come next spring, fertilize again, and spray the rushes around May time.

Reseed next year, by which time your rush population should be well thinned out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

butt1 wrote: »

Plant trees on it. Currently the yearly premium is up to €515 per hectare foe 20 years. The cost of all the work involved is covered by the Department of Agriculture "Afforestation Scheme"

Give me a PM if you want to know anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭signinlate

I'm in a similar situation. This year I drained two fields that were each half covered in rushes.

With the first field I sprayed with roundup and when it was burnt off I mowed and baled the rushes. With the rushes gone I ploughed it and sowed barley.

In the second field I started by cuting and baling them, followed a few weeks later with a dose of mcpa . Next year I hope to plough this field and want the rushes dead so it will be easier turn over.

Baling them is one dirty job. The pickup throws an amount of clay, from the base of the rush, into the tractor.

Advertisement