Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On The Road Again... Couch to 5k

Options
  • 06-04-2011 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭

I've decided to try running again nearly 2 years after completing my first 5 mile run. I've downloaded the NHS Couch to 5k on iTunes and started on Saturday. To saw I was wrecked afterwards would be a complete understatement. I woke Sunday morning with pains in my abs, quads, calves and shoulders. I completed 1.98 miles in 27 mins 22 secs. I started with a 5 min warm up followed by 60 secs of jogging, 90 secs of walking 8 times and a 5 min cool down (which I didn't finish as the route wasn't long enough!)

Yesterday was day 2 - I took the same route but stretched it out a little further as I didn't get my full 5 min cool down on the first attempt. This time I covered 2.39 miles in 32 mins and 23 secs. I felt much better after this outing. And even better (I think) was that I had no pain at all this morning.

I really wanted to go out again today but my running buddy wouldn't let me :( Next outing is Friday which I am actually looking forward too. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Yay - you're back :)

The ART logs miss you though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Yay - you're back :)

The ART logs miss you though

Awe... Thanks :D
    Didn't wanna start up yet another log in ART lol! I've done 2 so far... and failed on both :(

Week 2, Day 1

2.39 miles in 30 mins
    found this really tough as I missed Day 3 of the first week. However, my recovery time is better this week even though my last run was last Tuesday!!
    I'm trying to come up with a system with my running partner at the moment to keep me going as I'll be doing my runs in Galway from next week and she's in Limerick... Should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

I didn't kow you had previous experience - this intimidates me :D

Haha! Keep going Munster Gal, we can finish it :D

ha ha :D
    my experience is limited and was 2 years ago so doesn't really count

• Advertisement

Week 2, Day 2

2.39 Miles in 30 mins

Found it a little bit tougher today. Legs felt tired on the 2nd 90 seconds but managed to keep going and completed the whole thing. Recovery time is improving as well which is great :) Only one more run this week :D

I hope Galway has been christened with a run? ;)

I hope Galway has been christened with a run? ;)

Not yet. But I just found my runners so I'll be pounding the streets tomorrow evening :D

Good stuff, il be back to check!

Week 1, Day 1

It's been 12 days since the last time I was out so I decided to start the program again... and I'm glad that I did cause my legs are KILLING me!!
    Covered 1.9 miles in 28min 31 secs. Have to say I was a little disappointed but at least I'm back out on the road...

Got plenty of funny looks off people due to my Munster jersey as well lol!

I've decided to set myself a goal of attempting the Galway Women's Mini Marathon at the end of June - I haven't a hope of being able to run all of it but I'll give it a lash all the same..

• Advertisement

Give it a lash anyways!

Il be back in. How's Galways treating ya?

Give it a lash anyways!

Il be back in. How's Galways treating ya?

All good so far :) waiting patiently for my first pay cheque so I can have a night out up here :D Need to start sussing the place out as well

How are things gal?:)

Too long without and update!!

I know I know :(
    Haven't been out :( Seem to be going somewhere every evening...
    Need to step it up big time next week!

I know I know :(
    Haven't been out :( Seem to be going somewhere every evening...
    Need to step it up big time next week!

As long as you're not disheartened :)

Make next week count :D!

went for a walk today. only did 1.56 miles.
    jogged about 2 mins of it.. thought I was gonna die but at least I got out.

I am officially the worst person for starting up threads and not finishing them!!!! :o:o:o

However, I'm back with a vengeance! I've started the couch to 5k again and I'm doing Kettlebells as well. I've had a few personal training sessions to try and get me focused and done a bit of an overhaul on my diet. I'm doing about 9lbs since the end of July but unfortunately that seems to have plateaued the last few weeks.

So my workouts since last week are as follows:

Monday - 1st Oct
    30 min kettlebell class

Tuesday - 2nd Oct
    Week 1 Day 1 Couch to 5k

Wednesday - 3rd Oct
    Rest Day

Thursday - 4th Oct
    Week 1 Day 2 Couch to 5k

Friday - 5th Oct
    Rest Day ... and I jumped out of a plane at 10,000 feet.....

Saturday 6th Oct
    Week 1 Day 3 Couch to 5k

Sunday 7th Oct
    Rest Day

Monday 8th Oct
    30 min kettlebell class

So the aim is to do a minimum of 2 kettlebell classes per week plus the couch to 5k but unfortunately this is dependant on my shifts in work and the class times. The couch to 5k shouldn't suffer this time though.... I have a treadmill in the living rooms so I can't blame the weather for not getting it done :D

Tuesday 9th October

30 min kettlebell class

I also stupidly just agreed to enter a kettlebell competition in December ... GULP!

Wednesday 10th October

Unscheduled rest day. A welcome break for my muscles from the 2 kettlebell classes in a row :)

• Advertisement

Thursday 11th October

Week 2 Day 1 of couch to 10k this morning

30 mins of kettlebells this evening

Muscles are sore and tired! Probably not the wisest decision to do both in one day!

Friday 12th October

Rest day today due to sore muscles. My calves are feeling it a bit. :(
    I'll be back on the treadmill tomorrow and Sunday though :)

Saturday 13th October

Week 2 Day 2 of couch to 10k done

Legs felt very tired today. this is definately the most exercise i've done in about 10 years!!

Sunday 14th October

Week 2 day 3 done!

I'm officially losing the plot... on the treadmill before lunch time on a Sunday! Has to be a first!

So for the next few weeks, Monday, Wednesday and Friday are dedicated to Kettlebell Sports Training.
    Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday will be for the couch to 10k.
    I think it's safe to say at this stage, I've done more exercise in the last 2 weeks that I have done in years! Feeling good so far and my legs aren't letting me down :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Stephen Aish

Excellent work Munster Gal!

People do not realise what can be achieved in strength and fitness with a few weekly sessions of kettlebell training - especially kettlebell sport.

Good luck with your competition :)

Steve

http://www.thestrengthacademy.com/

Monday 15th October

Week 3 Day 1 of couch to 10k

was meant to go to kettlebells but haven't had a proper nights sleep in about 4 days so opted for the treadmill instead so as not to over do it.
    I'll get a 30 min kettlebell class in tomorrow evening instead.

Tuesday 16th October

30 min kettlebells class done :)

Wednesday 17th October

Rest Day

Legs were pretty tired from Kettlebells and due to the 3 days in a row on the treadmill before that so took the day as a rest day.
    Back on the treadmill Thursday though!

Thursday 18th October

Another rest day - only slept for 2ish hours so I just didn't have the energy to do anything

• Advertisement

Friday 19th October

Week 3 Day 2 done!

1.5R + 1.5W, 2.5R + 2.5W x 2, 1.5R + 1.5W

Having the 2 days break in between made a difference and not in a good way... Really stuggled with today's session. I can only hope that the next one goes better!

Advertisement