Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On The Road Again... Couch to 5k

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

In addition to the above... I've also registered for an even next year!
    Not going to reveal what it is until closer the time as I'm still in the VERY early stages however, I'm confident that I'll be able to achieve it :D

Saturday 20th October

Week 3 Day 3 done!

2R + 2W, 3R + 3W x 2, 2R + 2W

Absolutely shattered but love the fact that they length of each run is just the right length... long enough that I have to really push myself but just short enough that I don't collapse. And I managed to get it done despite all the alcohol I had last night.... :D Defo a huge milestone for me however I am NOT looking forards to next weeks runs... 4 and 5 min runs. I found the 3 min runs today tough.

Sunday 21st October

Rest day today along with several pints and a 33-0 win for Munster in Thomond Park :D:D

Back to kettlebells tomorrow though :/

Monday 22nd October

Took today as another rest day. exhausted after the weekend and work didn't make it much better.
    Start of Week 4 tomorrow though!

Friday 26th October

So this week wasn't great. no kettlebells done! To say I was exhausted would be an understatement! I was physically and emotionally drained this week. Having said all that though

Week 4 Day 1 - done!!

3R + 2W, 4R + 3W x 2 and 3R + 2W

Hellish!!! I was 1 min into my second lot of 4 mins and appropriatly, the rocky theme came on, on the iPod. Talk about giving me that push to get through it! The last 3 mins were very tough as well... queue "Maniac" :D

Thankful that I got through them! hoping to do Week 4 Day 2 tomorrow but I'll see how I feel in the morning.. have a feeling my legs might be a little on the sore side having done nothing for 5 days and then having to do the 4 mins of running...TWICE!!!

• Advertisement

Saturday 27th October

Week 4 Day 2 - Partially done! I'll have to repeat this one.

3R + 2W, 5R +3W 2 times, 3R + 2W - this is what should have been done....

3R + 2W, 5R + 2W, 4R + 4W, 2R + 2W - this is what I completed. :mad:

So I'm 2 mins short on my running for today. This was down to the 5 day break I think to be honest so only myself to blame. I'm going to take a rest day tomorrow as the legs are feeling tired and gor for Day 2 again on Monday.. hopefully I might do better.

Wednesday 31st October

I've decided to start Week 4 again. Between not feeling well and an accident in the family last week's training was non existent... so

Week 4 Day 1 - done...again!!:o

3R + 2W, 4R + 3W x 2 and 3R + 2W

Struggled with this again today. Not really sure how I'm going to get through the next session :(

Thursday 1st November

Week 4 Day 2 - done .... this time I finished it. Although I can't say that I felt any better during it!

3R + 2W, 5R + 3W x 2, 3R + 2W

Taking tomorrow as a rest day then Day 3 is scheduled for Saturday!
    Had a sneak peak at week 5....... :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Friday 2nd and Saturday 3rd November

Rest days yesterday and today.
    I'm suffering with shin splints and my legs are tired :(

Week 4 Day 3 - DONE

3R + 2W, 5R + 2W x 2, 3R + 2W

Had to slow during the 2nd 5 min run from 8KPH to 7.5KPH. Felt that I may not have managed to finish the session if I didn't.
    Delighted to have Week 4 done finally, but not looking forward to starting Week 5.

• Advertisement

Rest Day today!
    Start of week 5 tomorrow.
    New runners ordered as well... picked up a nice pair in Elverys about 2 months ago.. only to realise afterwards that they were trail runners!!!
    Anyway, I have a feeling that this may be what's causing the shin splints so I've just ordered a pair online. Fingers crossed that they make the difference!

Week 5 Day 1

5R + 3W, 6R + 3W, 5R + 3W

I accidently managed to do an extra min on each end resulting in 3 x 6R. Appartenly my notifications on my app don't work if the stoopid phone is on silent!!!! Anyway, I managed to live through all 3 of them! Next session has an 8 min run so I feel a lot more confident about being able to manage it.

Shin splints are still giving me some trouble but hopefully after some advice from my dad the physio I might be able to sort it out with stretches and my new runners.

I'm feeling great after all the sessions which is good. Not as tired as I remember feeling the first time I attempted to start running! Unfortunately I haven't kept the kettlebells up. Between work and family, I'm not able to manage both at the moment.

Saturday 10th November

Week 5 Day 2 done!

5R, 3W, 8R, 5W, 5R

My legs felt like the could have kept going. Amazing to think that I was struggling with the 1.5m runs just 5 weeks ago!! Feeling more and more positive after each session (even if that positivity lacks during the session itself!) I'm also down approx 3% body fat as well in the last 2 months :)

Sunday 11th November

Rest day today

Hoping to get the last day of week 5 done tomorrow but I'm working a 12 hour shift so it could end up being Tuesday :/ Work shifts should be a bit shorter from Wednesday on so hopefully won't have so many days off in between runs.

Week 5 Day 3 - Boom!

8R + 5W + 8R

New runners have made the world of difference. Shin splints didn't play up today. Small bit of a niggle but nothing major :) Delighted with my progress. Still have a long way to go but getting there. Next run is 10 mins :D:D:D

Week 6 Day 1 - OUCH!! :eek::eek::eek:

10R + 5W + 10R

I'm gonna feel it tomorrow. Legs are feeling stiffer than normal. I found it very hard to finish the last 2 minutes.. Mentally... I managed to push through...only just!! Physically... I struggled.

Stretched afterwards for the first time in 5 weeks. Gonna have to make it a habit. By next week I'll apparently be able to run for 20 mins!! Scary ****!

Week 6 Day 2

10R + 3W + 10R

Had to push myself quite alot for the last 2 mins of my second run. Again this was more mentally than physically. Legs are feeling quite fresh and even managed to do a 4 mile walk this afternoon.

Week 6 Day 3 - done! :D:D:D

15R + 3W + 5R

Week 6 is done and dusted.

I found the 15 mins extremely tough and the 5 mins at the end even tougher.
    Week 7 starting on Tuesday with the aim of getting all 3 sessions done by Sunday.

For the first time ever I'm putting exercise first and managing work around it. No more long 12 hour shifts when I have a training session to do.

I'm nearly half way through my 14 week 10k program. Still not quite confident that I'll be running 10k at the end of it but I'll settle for being able to run for 60 mins at any ole speed!

Stupidly decided to go to kettlebells tonight and pushed myself quite hard! OUCH!!!! I'll hopefully be able to feel my legs tomorrow!

Week 7 Day 1 - Aborted!

Muscles in the base of my back are still sore from kettlebells and running wasn't helping!

Take 2 on Friday :(

• Advertisement

Well I had to give my back time to recover and as a result I'm behind on my training. Managed 13 mins running this evening but going it tough. :( Sunday is another day!

6 weeks of nothing........ :(

First I put my back out. That took over a week to settle. Then my calves cramped for no reason and I couldn't walk properly for a week. After that it's been generally a head cold and lack of motivation.

I'm still registered for THE EVENT however it's looking unlikely that I'll achieve what I had in mind initially but doesn't mean I'm not gonna give it a lash anyway :)

Advertisement