Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature student help

• 06-04-2011 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I had thought that now entering education at undergraduate level 8 after a 3 year gap since a undergraduate level 7 meant I would be able to avail of free fees. I have a ordinary degree (level 7) and this level 8 would be a Higher degree.

It was a long time studying all the paperwork out there and talking to a lot of people that I came to this!
    I am in a tail spin trying to figure this out now. I had worked out previously and been assured by citizens advice bureau that I was right but now I am wondering and thinking that things have changed for 2011.
    :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Wineport

Hello, I'm also trying to figure out fees etc. I have done some research, so if you have a specific question I maybe able to help answer it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭bildo

Was in this position but went through BTEA.
    I applied for grant and was denied cause I hadn't been in the country for 3 years but there was no other reason for my refusal.
    I would imagine you would get it anyway. If not write a few letters and get your Equality Officer or Welfare officer on the case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sarahisabella

I was on the phone to the county council today and it looks like I may be royally screwed. Between the department of education and the new government - they may be (likely) making some changes. I was hoping to get some sort of grant towards fees, or not have to pay full fees as a mature student, and get BTEA. But they may increase the 3 year gap to 5 years. Also they will probably want me to pay full fees as my second turn in uni no matter what level my previous degree was as I finished it - so that'd be about 6,000! :eek:
    I would be fine on BTEA but those fees would be impossible to pay every year without loans and massive debt.
    Australia here I come.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

They haven't done anything yet. Contact the fees office of the university to check it out.

I've tried calling fees office - no answer. I sent them an email. Just hoping this small thing actually applies to me in the free fees initiative criteria...

Tuition fees will not be paid in respect of:

- students pursuing a second undergraduate course.
    - students who already hold a postgraduate qualification

Notwithstanding this condition and subject to compliance with the other conditions of the Free Fees initiative, students who already hold a Level 6 qualification (Higher Certificate or National Certificate) or a Level 7 qualification (Ordinary Bachelor Degree or National Diploma) and are progressing to a Level 8 (Honours Bachelor Degree) course without necessarily having received an exemption from the normal duration of the course may be deemed eligible for free fees,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 lmwell

Im in the exact same position as you.

Citizens info told me that 100% I would be eligible for free fees. 'Education Ireland' told me that I wouldnt.

Am totally confused by it. I just want to know one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 4k

OP, is your new undergrad different to the first one you did?
    if so then you will not get a grant, if you got one before and you will have to pay the full fees.
    if you are doing one extra add on year to turn your level 7 into a level 8 in the same discipline then you are entitled to get a grant.
    Basically you get a grant when you advance your education or take a break of 5 or more years.

It is a new undergrad altogether yes. I didn't get a grant before and I am applying as a mature student, after a 3 year break (which is currently the break in study- although I saw they are thinking of stretching it to 5).

• Registered Users Posts: 44 4k

Aw well thats good news. if you didn't get it before you are entitled to get it. As long as you satisfy all the other criteria that is (income etc).
    It's already a 5 year break that they demand. and as far as i know if you want to apply for BTEA, you can only get the grant or the BTEA. You cant get them both anymore. So go for the BTEA I say if you're entitled to that.

I don't get either, and I still manage. You'll be fine, if you want to be.

Advertisement