Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

External Hard drive no longer recognised by laptop

• 06-04-2011 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi,

I have a 640gb western Digital Passport essential HDD that is no longer recognised by my computer. When I plug it in the disk spins, the LED comes on but then starts flashing. This is the drive I bought to use as my backup so has most of my files:rolleyes:

I have tried the following:
    Two different laptops, XP and Win 7
    Different USB cables
    Reinstalling the USB controller drivers
    I've opened the chassis to try and put the drive into another one but the USB connection is attached to the board and not a separate bridge.

Can anyone think of anything else I can try?

I was thinking of buying an identical drive and swapping out the board but I would like to try somewhere professional first. Can anyone let me know where I can get the data recovered at a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Hi,

I have a 640gb western Digital Passport essential HDD that is no longer recognised by my computer. When I plug it in the disk spins, the LED comes on but then starts flashing. This is the drive I bought to use as my backup so has most of my files:rolleyes:

I have tried the following:
    Two different laptops, XP and Win 7
    Different USB cables
    Reinstalling the USB controller drivers
    I've opened the chassis to try and put the drive into another one but the USB connection is attached to the board and not a separate bridge.

Can anyone think of anything else I can try?

I was thinking of buying an identical drive and swapping out the board but I would like to try somewhere professional first. Can anyone let me know where I can get the data recovered at a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance:)

I'd doubt there's any external drives with USB integrated into the drive electronics. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

I'd guess the electronics in the enclosure are borked. New enclosures are cheap; I'm guessing its a 2.5" SATA drive ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

you could try a linux live cd,eg mint ,that,ll detect any working usb drive . it should be easy to remove if its a sata drive, it just slides out from pcb sata interface.Can you post a picture of the pcb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,315 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

depending on what the error is it could get very expensive. was it dropped? did it surge?

you need to remove the drive from the case ,put it in a caddy, sata hd caddy 20 euro.the usb cable is irrelevant , the hardrive itself is likely to be working fine.
    see here http://www.google.ie/imgres?q=ata+interface&hl=en&sa=X&tbm=isch&tbnid=CLpW5WJm-EnFcM:&imgrefurl=http://www-947.ibm.com/support
    see here ,make sure the drive is sata ,as above pic shows.
    theres sata and IDE ATA caddys in the shops,ie 2 interface types.
    its likely the pcb that s connected to the usb cable is faulty ,
    not the hardisk .

it would be possible to install the drive in a pc, with a spare sata interface,
    you,d need a sata power cable, sata data cable to connect it to the pc motherboard.its easier to just buy a sata caddy,that ,ll have a usb cable to plug the caddy into any pc or laptop.

• Advertisement
Advertisement