Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPod Touch

Options
  • 06-04-2011 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Okay so I KNOW there's a glitch in the software of the new generation ipod touches that stop it connecting to the UCD network. Does anyone know if there's anything you can do about it though??? It's a pain in the backside...

No point in having to pull out a laptop if there's a way to fix this...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

It does get through, but it can take a minute or two. It's best to set the Proxy auto-config URL manually (http://proxy.ucd.ie/proxy.pac I think) or the proxy server (proxy.ucd.ie, port 8484)

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

I've tried both already... :/ No such luck...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Same issue with the iPhone 4's. It's a pain in the arse, so am interested in a solution myself . . .

Same issue with the iPhone 4's. It's a pain in the arse, so am interested in a solution myself . . .

I'm updating my software right now to see if it helps any... Not holding my breath though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

bnt wrote: »
    It does get through, but it can take a minute or two. It's best to set the Proxy auto-config URL manually (http://proxy.ucd.ie/proxy.pac I think) or the proxy server (proxy.ucd.ie, port 8484)

This has worked for me on the new Ipod touch since Christmas anyway.

• Advertisement

In theory, you shouldn't need to do anything, and the auto-configuration system should find the proxies and set you up for them, but I have never seen that work at UCD. iPod, Windows smartphone, PCs running Windows and Linux - nada. You always need to enter the proxy details manually.

— Kingsley Amis

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

On my laptop, with WaveLAN, it connects to the network but doesn't connect to any non-UCD sites, and I nearly always have to disable and re-enable the wireless card (then it works). Is this something to do with not entering the Proxy settings manually? I have Windows 7 Starter (the one used on netbooks!), if it matters.

The problem doesn't happen with Eduroam.

Got mine working! Updated the software and added the proxy in and tada!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Do you have to enter the proxy details each time you go to connect to the network? Or can you set them to only apply when you connect to the WaveLAN network?

No, it should be remembered. You'll be able to tell if you enter your settings at any rate. You'll see it if it remembers the proxy if you scroll to the end of lan wave network details

• Advertisement

Ill give it a go tomorrow, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Hoku

With eduroam being available in more and more places on campus, you can just set that up and avoid having to wait the extra minute or two for the connection to WaveLAN to establish.

Eduroam doesn't need any proxies, so it also enables you to use non-HTTP protocols. Very convenient, seeing as Google IMAP tends not to work on WaveLAN

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭OTNiner

eduroam config available here should work on an iTouch

http://www.ucd.ie/itservices/itsupport/eduroamatucd/#d.en.78522

current version of iOS 4.2 should work on WaveLAN once proxy is set - as it is a network name / profile setting should not affect other use but will encounter the 60 second delay.

according to the link eduroam now available in:

* Complex and Adaptive Systems Laboratory (CASL)
    * UCD Computer Science and Informatics
    * CLARITY (ground floor of the Physics building)
    * Daedalus Building
    * UCD Global Lounge (Main Restaurant)
    * Tierney Building
    * Health Sciences Building
    * Main Library
    * Main Restaurant
    * National Virus Reference laboratory/Centre for Research into Infectious Diseases
    * Newstead building
    * O'Reilly Hall
    * UCD John Hume Institute for Global Irish Studies
    * UCD Catherine McAuley Centre
    * UCD Residences: Glenomena
    * UCD Residences: Merville
    * UCD Residences: Roebuck
    * UCD Residences: Belgrove
    * UCD Engineering and Materials Science Centre
    * NovaUCD
    * UCD Conway Institute of Biomolecular and Biomedical Research
    * UCD Quinn School of Business
    * Richview
    * Student Centre
    * St Stephen's Chaplaincy
    * St Vincent ERC
    * Woodview House

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

Whats the jazz with them blocking WLAN on phones??

aine92 wrote: »
    Whats the jazz with them blocking WLAN on phones??
    Who are "them"? I know that my Windows 6 Smartphone can use the WLAN - after I enter the correct proxy details. AFAIK the WLAN system on the iPhone is essentially identical to that on the iPod Touch. If you have a problem, it can probably be solved, with a little work.

— Kingsley Amis

Advertisement