Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Dundalk as a Student

Options
  • 07-04-2011 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering where the best places to live in Dundalk are as a student?

I go to DKIT at the moment and want to move up full time next year.

The student estates are good enough value but I've heard bad stories about burglars targetting students laptops and stuff like that. E.g Rockfield, College Heights.

I have a friend from college who had his laptop stolen in one of those estates. He is in a central much safer location now according to him and his housemates. I've been there and it's a good secure spot.

Then there is the on campus accomodation. Very close to the college, good facilities apparently but 80 euro per month, don't know if I can afford that as it's 1 person per room, 1 bed and bathroom.

Any recommendations? I've been on daft and sites like that. Might try and ask around soon for room mates.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭kyosushi

I trust you won't mind me saying this or it may be the way I understand English . You say and I quote "there is the on campus accomodation. Very close to the college, good facilities apparently but 80 euro per month, don't know if I can afford that as it's 1 person per room, 1 bed and bathroom."

When I was a student I would know how much I could afford to spend on rent . Your rent 960euro per year is peanuts to what I had to pay .

All you need to do to keep yourself safe on campus is to work 3 hours per week . Another 3 hours and you could afford to fill the fridge , with a final 3 hours you could afford to have a whoop-dee-do-la party every Saturday night.

Job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

kyosushi wrote: »
    I trust you won't mind me saying this or it may be the way I understand English . You say and I quote "there is the on campus accomodation. Very close to the college, good facilities apparently but 80 euro per month, don't know if I can afford that as it's 1 person per room, 1 bed and bathroom."

When I was a student I would know how much I could afford to spend on rent . Your rent 960euro per year is peanuts to what I had to pay .

All you need to do to keep yourself safe on campus is to work 3 hours per week . Another 3 hours and you could afford to fill the fridge , with a final 3 hours you could afford to have a whoop-dee-do-la party every Saturday night.

Job done.

Thanks for the reply. I guess prices might have gone down. Depends on the house though.

Yeah, I will hopefully get some kind of a job this summer and then hopefully keep it through the year.

Did you study in Dublin? I'm guessing rent would be very high in places there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭kyosushi

let's say I now study part time to get my credits , I have my own residual income from a business idea spawned while at school .

Good luck at DkIT and finding a safe place to live .

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

My friends live in glen wood, there are 4 bedrooms and a kitchen....€50 a week each.

€80 a month sounds very cheap. Houses would def not be that cheap....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Rossin wrote: »
    My friends live in glen wood, there are 4 bedrooms and a kitchen....€50 a week each.

€80 a month sounds very cheap. Houses would def not be that cheap....

I read this thread yesterday and I thought the €80 a month was a typo. That is very cheap and as Rossin said a house share would still be a lot more expensive.

• Advertisement

Sorry, its eighty per week per person : )

ah that makes more sense! well i can only speak for my friends really as i commute but they're quite happy in glenwood and if i decide to move up ill probably go there myself, you might be able to get more responses from the dkit forum even though it appears it's rarely used of late

ah that makes more sense! well i can only speak for my friends really as i commute but they're quite happy in glenwood and if i decide to move up ill probably go there myself, you might be able to get more responses from the dkit forum even though it appears it's rarely used of late

Yeah, thanks, I've never heard of Glenwood. Will look it up.

Yep, the DKIT forum gets very little posts these days. Only a handful of regular contributors. I'm one of them, you could probably count them on one hand.

Weird, as there must be over 6,000 students there now and probably will have a larger student set by next year.

its across from the hospital, take a right at the garage

best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭chrabo

hey if u like drinking all the time, set up fire in cars and live like 1000s of this idiots move to rockfield.

GL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Depends what you are looking for,
    College Heights and Rockfield would be quite loud, drunk students etc,
    College Manor the same, but to a lesser extent.

The other estates relatively close to the college include Langfield, Glenwood and Priorland Grove,
    although they wouldn't really be considered college estates.
    They would be more family orientated and definitely quieter than the college estates.

Also €80 is a lot of for those college apartments.
    Being a first year, they will probably try to stick you with a tiny apartment (tiny, think shoebox)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 katemccb

wer in college manor quiet enough rent reasonable 65 week bins and sky included and bills are cheap have no trouble since moved house is nice also!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

College manor seems to be the best for a college estate, I used to live in College Heights (51) and spent two great years of my life there, its meant to have gone downhill now though.

If you can deal with being woken up some nights with noise outside I think college manor would be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Cpt Tremendous

My mates lived in the college accommodation in first year but moved into a house in Glenwood afterwards. For what you're getting, the college apartments are pretty expensive, I know a few people who are looking to live elsewhere because of the price.

You can rent in Glenwood for €50-€65 a week and it's far quieter than other estates. The likes of Rockfield and College Heights have a bit of a reputation and history for being rough and have a high risk of crime.

The most secure would be the college apartments but again, it's only if you want to spend the money. You can still get a secure place in Glenwood for cheaper though.

Best of luck finding somewhere, hope this helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Jaffusmaximus

"College manor seems to be the best for a college estate"

College Member is a Residential Area not a College Estate, this is popular misconception, there are more families living here with myself included.

College Member is a Residential Area not a College Estate, this is popular misconception, there are more families living here with myself included.

In fairness, college is even in the name.

With the close proximity of the estate to the college,
    you can hardly fault people for referring to it as a college estate.

Yet the word college is not in Rockfield or Glenwood and these were referred as "college estates". Our residents committee in College Manor did raise the issue of changing the name but we all actually like it and feel it is not an issue. If students choose to live here they will be surprised to find it is mostly full of family's. On my street alone there is only 1 house rented to students yearly with there rest families.
    I really don't think students who move here now look out their windows and see children and family's going about their daily business and think they are living in an estate purely built for the purpose of housing students.

I'm sure you are right and there probably are more families than students.
    However, someone considering it as a college estate can't really be faulted as there are large amounts of houses that are rented by students throughout the college year.

I would think that you are irritated by students living in your estate,
    especially when you moved to an estate so close to the college and realised that a large number of students were living there....:pac:

I grew up not far from College Manor in a housing estate riddled with drugs and violence so a few students ain't a problem and as I said there are not a large number of students living in college manor these days anyway compared to when we moved here when the estate was built in 2006. Its an ideal location for families as it is close to schools the town and amenities.

I only take exception to the area being called a "student estate" as it was not built for the sole purpose of accommodating students as the term "student estate" would apply. Students living here are subject to the sames expectations of proper behavior as any other resident would be in any residential estate.

It's not a student estate, its a college estate :p

• Advertisement

From May to Sept please refer to College Manor as a "residential area"

From Sept to May please refer to College Manor as a "resident/ethnic student minority area" :D

I still refer to it as a college estate as when I was there 5 years ago thats all that was there. I was in college heights and college manor was built for my next year and while not as student focused as heights it still seemed fairly heavily student orientated.

I left college heights after 2 years but I could see it was beginning to get families in so its no surprise that 3 years later its been populated by families.

im thinking of moving up this year, how soon to college start date should i start looking for a house etc?? would 1 or 2 weeks be fine?

im thinking of moving up this year, how soon to college start date should i start looking for a house etc?? would 1 or 2 weeks be fine?

Sure that would be fine.

Just wouldn't put it off until August as you might not be able to get what you are looking for.

august is too late??? im not back till mid sept...hopefully stay in glenwood or something similar

august is too late??? im not back till mid sept...hopefully stay in glenwood or something similar

Depends on what you are looking for really.

You could probably get a room for yourself in any of the estates up to the end of august and most likely after that.
    But if I was in your situation, I would probably start looking now so that you can get the best deal and best possible house for yourself.
    If you're looking for a house for yourself and a few others I wouldn't put it off at all.

Do you know the area at all?

I agree with Hank, you should start looking now, you'll have more choice and the option to book the better houses first, if you know your going back now's the time to look before the CAO offers come out.

ill more than likely be getting a room by myself and hopefully in the glenwood area or a similar estate, thanks lads soon as i know for definite ill get on it

lads im looking at moving up in sept and some of the numbers ive rang are looking for a group to take the house rather than peeps separately, so if anyone is looking for someone to fill a room give me a heads up, im hoping to pay about €50pw and live in an estate similar glenwood, well any estate thats not a mess basically :D ive posted this in the dkit forum as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 paulc216

I paid a deposit on a house in Rockfield manor, nice house but so far im the only 1 that has paid a deposit. Rent is only 55 a week so if any1 is interested ill be happy 2 share a house with yaz :)

Advertisement