Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Educate Together Second Level School in D15

Options
  • 07-04-2011 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

Just to publicise that this campaign has begun. The Department have agreed two new second level schools in D15. Probably Tyrellstown and what they are calling "West Blanchardstown".

Educate Together hopes at least one will be ET. Website and Facebook hopefully to follow soon!

Expressions of interest from parents (it's a form but not a major committment just support for the idea) are being sought throughout D15. Also volunteers for the campaign most welcome. Below is the ET Bluprint for Second Level

http://www.educatetogether.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Blueprint-FINAL.pdf

Happy to provide any info by PM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

I saw that there was a public meeting yesterday in the hotel in the shopping centre.
    Unfortunately the notice didn't go up on face book until the afternoon of the day the meeting and was way to short notice for me to attend and for other's I know were interested. Is there any chance that they could give people at least 24 hours notice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Why Tyrellstown? Seems quite at the borders of any catchment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

BostonB wrote: »
    Why Tyrellstown? Seems quite at the borders of any catchment?

Close to Corduff, Mulhuddart and Tyrellstown?? Although Corduff already have their secondary school Mulhuddart and Tyrellstown could do with one!

I thought the ET were different from a regular school.

They have a different ethos and so will have a different Religious Education program then RC schools.
    But they are run, under funded and have to adhere to the Dept of Educations standards and curriculum like the rest of the schools.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

BostonB wrote: »
    I thought the ET were different from a regular school.

The only difference is as Sharrow pointed out, the students will still have to do the Junior Certificate and Leaving Certificate. It's a multi-denominational school, I'd be delighted if we got one for Tyrellstown area, although I'm struggling to think where they could put it rather than further down the Powerston Road (where the two primary schools are at the moment), but that land is occupied by a pretty fiesty old lady who would be reluctant to move because she'd have to uproot her animals...

I'm a little confused. The inference seems to be that would be no reason for anyone outside the immediate area, to send their kids to the ET secondary over the other secondary schools in the area.

I'd send mine.
    I have already had issues with bibles being sent home, not being able to opt my child out of RE, arriving to a welcoming ceremony for first year which was in fact a religious service with two priests, reading, hymns and prayers.

The greater Dublin 15 area needs more secondary schools and given the number of ET national/primary schools I can't see there being an issue with lack of numbers into the school each year.

I just don't see the logic of putting schools at the edge of catchment, instead of centrally, if its for all kids to access, not just the ones in the immediate vicinity.

Well I'd wonder doubt an ET school as the same parish area/catchment as christian schools. Why don't you contact the start up and ask what areas they will accepting enrolments from?

• Advertisement
Advertisement