Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Library Fines

Options
  • 07-04-2011 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Anyone else know the story with this?? Managed to get a 50 euro fine this week for not returning short loan items on time?? What way do they make this up? Theres nothing about 1 day loans on the site fine area only 3 day and 3 hour loans,I returned both books within 24 hours after they expired.One book was a 3 day and the other a 1 day , both the same books but different editions.I think I got overcharged.The librarian was completely ignorant, so i didn't bother asking her much. Surely this is daylight robbery?? It was a completely honest mistake, i didnt even use the book the extra day that i had it to makes things worse as I just completely forgot I had them. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

http://www2.ul.ie/web/WWW/Services/Library/About_the_Library/Fines

I think you must have been charged the €1 per hour fine. Maybe try a different librarian tomorrow but keep it cool, they may or may not be able to do anything for you but you have a waaaay better chance if you turn on the charm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Sounds harsh I know, but those books on short loan are in high demand (putting it mildly) and people need to really realise this, and how important it is that they are available.

No doubt it was a complete and utter mistake by you OP, and hopefully they'll take something off the fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mulner92

Is it true that you cannot graduate if you have library fines on your account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

mulner92 wrote: »
    Is it true that you cannot graduate if you have library fines on your account?

if you owe the college any money they can withhold your degree

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

That is mean. I assume if you do hand back the book, the fine increase stops, I haven't been caught for it before, but i've been sent e-mails with reminders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I'd go to the service desk and explain your case. I've found most of them working there to be quite reasonable and will probably quash some of the fine, as its an honest mistake to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭GV_NRG

Jagle wrote: »
    if you owe the college any money they can withhold your degree

thats RIDICULUS!! :O

GV_NRG wrote: »
    thats RIDICULUS!! :O

true, college cant stop you graduating till all debts are paid off

and they do

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭seanman is me

she took 20 off it as i explained my case !!!!!!! better than nothing i suppose!!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Fraher91

Owed 12 euro in fines the other day, we settled on 10 euro. Two books= 6 a piece. Din't mind the long term book but the three day ones are annoying, at least i returned it by it got out of hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Chett

Hey sorry to drag this thread up again but I'm just a bit worried about this. I read on the UL website that in order to graduate, all fines must be payed by the 5th of August....it's now the 14th and I have outstanding library fines. Does this mean that I can't graduate even if I were to pay the fines tomorrow or the day after....or is that just a "put a bit of fear into them" deadline?

they will with hold your degree until all fines are paid, you wont be allowed graduate with the rest of your year..

id get into ul asap and sort it out

Advertisement