Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tracing the Surname Fraughen

• 07-04-2011 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

My friend and i are looking into his surname Fraughen, i'm just wondering does anyone this know anyone with the name or anything to do with the name, thanks so much in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

there's a small number of entries on Griffith's for the surname Fraughan that might be worth checking out. Some in Dublin city, Co. Dublin, one in Wicklow and one in Galway. Six entries in total, but some of these could be separate properties held by the same people.

see : http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=doNameSearch&Submit.x=44&Submit.y=9&familyname=Fraughan&firstname=&baronyname=&countyname=&unionname=&parishname=

Shane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

the Thomas Fraughan listed at Mill St, Dublin on Griffith's (1854) was a grocer according to the index of Thom's 1850

Mill St is listed as being in the Civil Parish of St. Luke and runs from Blackpitts to Ardee Street. Thomas is shown in the street listing at number one as a vintner. Much of the rest of the street is either tenements or 'tanners and curriers'

Shane

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Nothing even remotely like it in MacLysaght. :(

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Here are the Griffiths references for info:

James F of Galway, Rahoon,
    James F of Dublin, Booterstown,
    William F of Leitrim, Killesnet,
    Thomas F, Dublin, Dublin City,
    Thomas F., Dublin, St, Lukes.
    Michael Fraughan, Wicklow, Knockrath.

Some private information was passed on that the Wicklow ones emigrated to Australia and the name changed to Frewin (early 1800s).

Also, I wonder is there a connection to the fraughan berry (from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bilberry)

In Ireland, the fruit is known as fraughan, from the Irish fraochán, and is traditionally gathered on the last Sunday in July, known as Fraughan Sunday.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 frauney

There are lots of Fraughens living in Ireland presently all related. If you need any more help perhaps I'll hear from you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

frauney wrote: »
    There are lots of Fraughens living in Ireland presently all related. If you need any more help perhaps I'll hear from you.

Curious. There are none in the phone book. Have you any information on the origin of the surname or families ?
    Rs
    P.

Doing family tree presently Dublin i think but the wicklow fraughens may be connected also not that far yet.

frauney wrote: »
    Doing family tree presently Dublin i think but the wicklow fraughens may be connected also not that far yet.

Curious that the Griffiths listing of Fraughans, are very widespread geographically outside the few in Dublin.

I got steered into the Wicklow (Andrew) Fraughans in error when doing an overseas friend a favour on a similar name. From my notes at that time -

Andrew Fraughan’s family emigrated (assisted passage) to Australia on the “Pekin" which sailed from Southhampton 19th August 1853, arrived Melbourne, Victoria 29th November 1853 (101 days passage)

Nominal list. passenger no. 31-36 page 293
    Disposal list: By whom engaged
    Fraughan Andrew labourer RC. 43yrs Wicklow Thos.Banbury, Melbourne
    Fraughan Ellen, R.C. 42yrs Wicklow
    Fraughan Ellen R.C. 12 yrs Wicklow
    Fraughan Thomas R.C. 10yrs Wicklow
    Fraughan Margaret R.C. 6yrs Wicklow
    Fraughan John R.C. 5yrs Wicklow

Nominal list. passenger no. 155-157 page 297
    Fraughan Bridget R.C. 18yrs Wicklow Mrs. Watson, Sandridge
    Fraughan Mary* R.C. 21yrs Wicklow Mrs. Gregory, Melbourne
    Fraughen Elizabeth R.C. 14yrs Wicklow Robert Brown, Williamstown
    *Mary’s godparents were a Michael Fraughan and a Margaret Fraughan.

The records also show that Andrew and daughters Mary and Elizabeth could read and write. Ellen and daughter Ellen could only read. Bridget, Thomas, Margaret and John could neither read nor write. However, all the children could write their names by the time they married as they have signed their marriage certificates.

For your record search, note that on the Wicklow birth records for Andrew’s children above the name is variously Froughan and Fraughan; the parent’s marriage record is Rathdrum Parish. Call No. P6476
    Nov.25th 1830 Andrew Froughan & Ellen Cullen. Witnessed by William Byrne & John Ford
    Ellen’s parents were Thomas Cullen and Bridget nee O’Byrne.
    Some descendants of the Australian Fraughans later moved to New Zealand. Andrew’s brother is possibly the Michael who remained in Wicklow, Knockrath.
    Hope it’s of some use.
    Rs
    P.

Dublin,Kilkenny,Tipperary are all the one family. Can't make a connection with the Wicklow crowd I'll keep working on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Orla f

Im a fraughen from dublin.. Dont know a lot about the name but I have always been told it was originally spelt fraughan dont know how true that is but it may help with the search!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

As soon as I saw the name I thought of fraughan berries which I picked many years ago in Co. Wicklow. Maybe there is a historic association between the family name and an area full of the berries. It is a wild bilberry much like blueberries and grow on hill sides, which is where we found them. Useless information for genealogy though. Sorry.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    As soon as I saw the name I thought of fraughan berries which I picked many years ago in Co. Wicklow. Maybe there is a historic association between the family name and an area full of the berries. It is a wild bilberry much like blueberries and grow on hill sides, which is where we found them. Useless information for genealogy though. Sorry.

Strange one alright; but I cannot think of any Irish family names called after plants and only a few called after places (Brosna/Brosnan, Finglas, Galway) though someone will probably correct me on that! The Wicklow Fraughans came from Trooperstown, near Rathdrum, an area more wooded than the heath required by the berries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1 StephNZ

Hi All, to thise who are stil looking at this thread…my 3x great grandfather was Andrew Fraughan, who moved his family to Australia in the 1800's. He changed his name to Frewan, and my 2x great grandfather Thomas, became Frewen on moving to NZ as a gold digger. I'm guessing that was a spelling error. I have found record of an Eleanor Fraughan who was witness to a marriage in Wicklow in the 1700's. But otherwise it pops up in England. It's definitely not a common name so I think someone took an opportunity to create a new name for themselves, for whatever reason . DNA matches will eventually show a common last name that might just reveal what was the 'true' last name prior to Fraughan. That's my guess anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Old, but still an interesting thread. It's pushing it a little for autosomal DNA. What tests did you do? What was the indication of your ethnicity?

Advertisement