Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sig 9mm Slide.

Options
  • 07-04-2011 4:53am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I need to pick the brains of a few of ye.

I have a variant of the Sig P226. Its the P220 X-Zone. Its called that because of the front compensator, and to pull in the suckers which obviously works because i bought one.:o:D

picture.php?albumid=811&pictureid=4103

It has the 5.5 inch barrel as opposed to the 4.5 inch barrel in the standard model P226. The slide covers/houses 4.5 inches of the barrel and the compensator covers/houses the remaining 1 inch. Now while i love this gun i often find it difficult to get holsters and other accessories that would easily fit onto the standard or non compensator models.

Which got me thinking. As the serial number of the gun is on the "main body" and not the slide could i order a replacement slide, 5.5 inches in length, and use the gun without the compensator thus opening the door to a larger variety of holsters, sights, etc. Something like this (not the same model, but will do for illustrative purposes):

sig226_06.jpg

Has anyone done this? Can it be done? Any suggestions as to what model slide would suit?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

I would _assume_ the barrell also carried the serial num

B'Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

I was told before that if you send a firearm or major component back to sig that they can give you a new one provided its the same caliber , they put your old serial number on the new part and keep the old part. Email them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

As you have a licence there shouldnt be too much hassle in getting another slide or complete slide barrel and recoil spring.

As to which slide will fit your frame... Ive seen (in the flesh so not rumour) X5 slides fit onto an X6 frame, also Ive seen a .22 conversion kit on a X5 frame (all frames were in a 9mm pistol. I can only assume that within a family of models (as your P226 based) that so long as you dont change caliber they generally will fit as that is the case with the USP series where the standard frame accepts all the uppers that HK make in both 9mm and .40. The .45 is too big a frame so only accepts the .45

Your best contact Sig or gunshop.ie and ask for paddy, hes a big sig guy so prehaps he can tell you how interchangable they are as well as reccommend a model.

As for your holster ... what are you currently using if you dont mine me asking ??

GH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

There are plenty of holsters that will not have a problem with the comp as they hold the trigger guard.

Ghost (My preferred choice)
    Race master
    Hoppner & Schuman

to name but a few

B'Man

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Bananaman wrote: »

B'Man

Not sure what you are referring to?

I'm not looking to change the barrel just the slide. I'm thinking (hoping) a suitable slide can be gotten that does not require the barrel be changed.
    rowa wrote: »
    I was told before that if you send a firearm or major component back to sig that they can give you a new one provided its the same caliber , they put your old serial number on the new part and keep the old part. Email them.

Thanks for that. I've e-mailed Sig and as usual they are on the ball response wise. I got an e-mail back from them with a list of possible options in relation to shipping any parts over and even getting spare slides.

I simply need to narrow down my request. My model is no longer continued by Sig. Plus other variants of the P226/X-Five/X-Six have 4.5, 5.0 and 6.0 inch barrels. I'm finding it a bit hard to pin down a model that did not have the compensator on the forend and came with a 5.5 inch barrel, in 9mm, and hence would suit my gun.

Still e-mailing them, but was hoping for a few contact details or info from some of the guys here that may have had similar experiences.
    Your best contact Sig or gunshop.ie and ask for paddy, hes a big sig guy so prehaps he can tell you how interchangable they are as well as reccommend a model.

Thats exactly what i'm looking for. I've no doubt Sig can help or ship what i want. The only issues now facing me are to give a specific model slide to Sig, speak to someone (here) that has experience with them and can advise me as to the best option and then the personal import as Sig currently have no dealer/franchise here. Thats Sig's words not mine.
    As for your holster ... what are you currently using if you dont mine me asking ??

GH

Its a Kydex holster. Cannot remember the exact make, but it it literally a large squared holster made of nylon. I choose it because of the "oversized" piece where the muzzle would rest. I could not go for the shaped holsters or just about any other model as the nose of the pistol with the compensator will not fit them. I never considered those ones Bananaman. No particular reason not to just never occured to me.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

Ezridax wrote: »
    Thats exactly what i'm looking for. I've no doubt Sig can help or ship what i want. The only issues now facing me are to give a specific model slide to Sig, speak to someone (here) that has experience with them and can advise me as to the best option and then the personal import as Sig currently have no dealer/franchise here. Thats Sig's words not mine.

woops... I ment to say that yours it P220 not 226 based. Either way, good luck with the search :)

Anyway... from the Sig website it lists Griffin Hawe in kildare as there Irish importers....

http://sigsauer.de/index.php?id=976&lang=en

woops... I ment to say that yours it P220 not 226 based. Either way, good luck with the search :)

Yeah thats a pain in the ass. It has P226 on the side of the gun yet when checking any website, even Sig's own, the product description is P220 X-Zone. :confused:
    Anyway... from the Sig website it lists Griffin Hawe in kildare as there Irish importers....

http://sigsauer.de/index.php?id=976&lang=en

It could have been an error on the chap in Sigs behalf. I bought my Sig from Griffin and Hawe, as thats who Sig directed me to. However the chap i spoke to said that as C/F pistols are prohibited (his words again) and their variants of .22 pistols (Mosquito, etc) wouldn't be "huge" sellers that as far as he was aware they had no dealer/franchise in Ireland.

I hazard to say that he is either mistaken or if true that Griffin and Hawe's would not be able to facilitate any purchases from Sig. If i can get what i want we'll find out. :D

On another note thanks to the lads that suggested Paddy Fagan. Gave him a ring and told him what i was thinking of doing. When it comes to rifles and even shotguns i usually know my stuff, at least enough to hold a decent conversation, but i'm embarrassed to say that i have not made a point of getting to know the "ins and outs" of pistols. I know of makes, models, calibers, etc, but not specifics such as names of sights, variants of accessories, etc.

I felt when i was talking that i was somehow giving him poor info or not explaining myself well enough to be clear. However he understood what i was trying to say and gave me a few options immediately. Then offered to look into things for me and provide me with a list of options. Cannot really ask for more, especially from a chap that never met or spoke to me before now.

So top marks to Paddy.

Yeah thats a pain in the ass. It has P226 on the side of the gun yet when checking any website, even Sig's own, the product description is P220 X-Zone. :confused:

It could have been an error on the chap in Sigs behalf. I bought my Sig from Griffin and Hawe, as thats who Sig directed me to. However the chap i spoke to said that as C/F pistols are prohibited (his words again) and their variants of .22 pistols (Mosquito, etc) wouldn't be "huge" sellers that as far as he was aware they had no dealer/franchise in Ireland.

I hazard to say that he is either mistaken or if true that Griffin and Hawe's would not be able to facilitate any purchases from Sig. If i can get what i want we'll find out. :D

On another note thanks to the lads that suggested Paddy Fagan. Gave him a ring and told him what i was thinking of doing. When it comes to rifles and even shotguns i usually know my stuff, at least enough to hold a decent conversation, but i'm embarrassed to say that i have not made a point of getting to know the "ins and outs" of pistols. I know of makes, models, calibers, etc, but not specifics such as names of sights, variants of accessories, etc.

I felt when i was talking that i was somehow giving him poor info or not explaining myself well enough to be clear. However he understood what i was trying to say and gave me a few options immediately. Then offered to look into things for me and provide me with a list of options. Cannot really ask for more, especially from a chap that never met or spoke to me before now.

So top marks to Paddy.

Hmmmm says "226" you say....... Perhaps so shell take any 226 slide, maybe a trip up to Paddy would be in order so check will your frame accept other slides.

Paddys a good guy to deal with and has great prices on pistol ammo. Im currently runnin 115 grn S&B as well as 148 grn magtech that I got off him. Hes able to post ammo too :)

GH

............. as well as 148 grn magtech that I got off him. Hes able to post ammo too :)

GH

Nice one. Only have 124gr Magtech. Didn't know he done it. I think a roadtrip may be in order.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Nice one. Only have 124gr Magtech. Didn't know he done it. I think a roadtrip may be in order.;)

Does he have a website. I could do with a few .40cal

I've only 1 box of 165grain CCI.

What is the best Ammo in 40cal?? Or Centrefire ammo in general?

• Advertisement

Ive been doin a little research myself, it seems that the 220 frame will accept the 226 slide as the major difference with the 2 pistols was that that the 226 was developed for double stack magazines.

Are your magazines single or double stack mags ?

(Can I ask that without offending or getting too personal :P)

Does he have a website. I could do with a few .40cal

I've only 1 box of 165grain CCI.

What is the best Ammo in 40cal?? Or Centrefire ammo in general?

He sure does have a website..... as such :P its just a page.... http://www.gunshop.ie/

As to whats best for the .40.... I dont know to be honest. I was going to just get the 147grn magtec (sorry its 147 not 148 grn magtec) but after talking to paddy he reccomended the 115 for 15-25 range shooting and the 147 for anything further. I was happy enough to go with it to be honest and it hasnt let me down so far so best give him a call and see what hes got and what he sells.

......... (sorry its 147 not 148 grn magtec) .............

Was gonna ask about that. Thought i was missing out on some new round.;):o

Do yee find that Magtech any good?

I usd 145 grain 40cal (at least i think it was) and I did not find it as good as CCI.
    It also jammed more (I blame the weird shape of head on it, CCI FMJ never Jams)

Tried to google a pic of what I mean but can't find any, suffice it to say the round nose run better than the TOP HAT type

Is there any Hornady Pistol ammo in the country?

Do yee find that Magtech any good?

I usd 145 grain 40cal (at least i think it was) and I did not find it as good as CCI.
    It also jammed more (I blame the weird shape of head on it, CCI FMJ never Jams)

Tried to google a pic of what I mean but can't find any, suffice it to say the round nose run better than the TOP HAT type

Is there any Hornady Pistol ammo in the country?

So far its eaten everything Ive put in it. im eventhing thinking of gettin some wolf ammo off Paddy Fagan just for sh!tes and giggles.

Ive had 1 stove pipe with My Hk pistol after I hadnt cleaned it in several hundred rounds with the suppressor on.. so in fairness... she was manky. Thats the only problem Ive had with magtech in the gun but it wasnt ammo related. Is it a Glock you have :P :P ?

Have you tryed polishing your feed ramp ??

Ive not seen hornady pistol ammo here.

So far its eaten everything Ive put in it. im eventhing thinking of gettin some wolf ammo off Paddy Fagan just for sh!tes and giggles.

Ive had 1 stove pipe with My Hk pistol after I hadnt cleaned it in several hundred rounds with the suppressor on.. so in fairness... she was manky. Thats the only problem Ive had with magtech in the gun but it wasnt ammo related. Is it a Glock you have :P :P ?

Have you tryed polishing your feed ramp ??

Ive not seen hornady pistol ammo here.

Yes its a Glock 22

And No I have not Polished Ramp "yet"

That Magtech I had was like lumps of lead where the CCI is FMJ

Tried e-mailing paddy Fagan and mail bounced back to me

Yes its a Glock 22

And No I have not Polished Ramp "yet"

That Magtech I had was like lumps of lead where the CCI is FMJ

Tried e-mailing paddy Fagan and mail bounced back to me

5-10 min with a dremel to polish your ramp could make all the difference, if it doesnt work dont worry about it as it hasnt damaged the gun in any way.

Give him a buzz, any time ive rang hes more than happy to chat.

I've had issues with ammo before and one brand in particular that was gifted to me would jam every few rounds non fail.

Switched to MagTech and never a bother since.

I'm not looking to change the barrel just the slide. I'm thinking (hoping) a suitable slide can be gotten that does not require the barrel be changed.

Thanks for that. I've e-mailed Sig and as usual they are on the ball response wise. I got an e-mail back from them with a list of possible options in relation to shipping any parts over and even getting spare slides.

I simply need to narrow down my request. My model is no longer continued by Sig. Plus other variants of the P226/X-Five/X-Six have 4.5, 5.0 and 6.0 inch barrels. I'm finding it a bit hard to pin down a model that did not have the compensator on the forend and came with a 5.5 inch barrel, in 9mm, and hence would suit my gun.

Still e-mailing them, but was hoping for a few contact details or info from some of the guys here that may have had similar experiences.

Its a Kydex holster. Cannot remember the exact make, but it it literally a large squared holster made of nylon. I choose it because of the "oversized" piece where the muzzle would rest. I could not go for the shaped holsters or just about any other model as the nose of the pistol with the compensator will not fit them. I never considered those ones Bananaman. No particular reason not to just never occured to me.
    I've had issues with ammo before and one brand in particular that was gifted to me would jam every few rounds non fail.

Switched to MagTech and never a bother since.

HK and Sigs like the magtech..... hmmmm must be a problem with those unsafe glocks :P :P :P :P

HK and Sigs like the magtech..... hmmmm must be a problem with those unsafe glocks :P :P :P :P

http://www.magtechammunition.com/store/p14details520.php

She just did not like those heads shown above. Stupid design anyway

• Advertisement

http://www.magtechammunition.com/store/p14details520.php

She just did not like those heads shown above. Stupid design anyway

Awww those.... na.. I can fire em only I dont because of lead build up in the barrel.

Tisk... Glock.. :P sure what would the Austrians know about makin firearms

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Well,if they havent been ponced around with in the first place:D:D:D:D .

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Bananaman wrote: »

B'Man

Unless it's required by some bizarre European law, the barrel is a field replaceable unit and is not marked, unless it's really bloody small or I've been completely oblivious to it as I've been swapping out the barrels on my SIG.

The frame is legally the 'gun' on a 220. Consider the P250 modular thingy, the only thing that you get is the control module with the serial number on it. You can build whatever you else around it. Even the frame!

NTM

Unless it's required by some bizarre European law, the barrel is a field replaceable unit and is not marked, unless it's really bloody small or I've been completely oblivious to it as I've been swapping out the barrels on my SIG.

The frame is legally the 'gun' on a 220. Consider the P250 modular thingy, the only thing that you get is the control module with the serial number on it. You can build whatever you else around it. Even the frame!

NTM

It is..The barrel that is.Europe doesnt do field replaceable units. By law of various countries and now proably EU law as it no doubt makes money for somone.All barrels have to be proof marked before they can be sold to the GP.Technically said no firearm in the EU can be sold or used without a proofmark of some country within the EU.

[TIP,a good way to check if you are buying a gun here in the future to see was it possibly a private US import or dealer import.Dealer imports via the EU should be proof house marked,private direct import more than likely not.]

Old and archaic,especially considering that the USA is now at the forefront for product liability litigation.You dont hear of US " made"[Read anywhere cheaper than the US] guns exploding,or bursting barrells on a regular basis.Otherwise the arms companies would be bust from product liability lawsuits.So they must be doing somthing right.

So to your original point .Your SIG is proably a made in the USA SIG,and you can buy the replace barrells no problem,as you can in the EU with the appropriate paperwork,and your barrells will be proof marked.However over here they dont consider just the frame as the gun perse,but all the ancillary components,be they critical firing components or not ,as the gun.

So the 250 SIG no problem in theory over here as well.Just get the critical components stamped with thec ontrol module serial number.
    IF it it is that moudular..Can you get it in .22lr??:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

I was at the range today (short sleeves day for a change!). Anyway to answer Ez's question I took a look at my Sig when I was cleaning for a serial number. The s/n on my Sig Pro 2009 is on the main frame AND the Slide both visable on the r/h side of the Firearm like so.....

Also using Magtech - excellent.

This is not mine by the way - took the picture off the net
    SigPro2022_3.jpg

knockon wrote: »
    ........ The s/n on my Sig Pro 2009 is on the main frame AND the Slide both visable on the r/h side of the Firearm like so..

Just reading back and i noticed i didn't post this. I have the same on mine. S/n on the main frame and s/n (not as pronounced) stamped just under the ejection port/breach. The barrel is stamped on one side with the Sig logo, and the other side with the proofing mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

The manufacturer Glock advises against using lead bullets (meaning bullets not covered by a copper jacket) in their polygonally rifled barrels, which has led to a widespread belief that polygonal rifling is not compatible with lead bullets. Firearms expert and barrel maker, the late Gale McMillan, has also commented that lead bullets and polygonal rifling are not a good mix. Some have made a point of the fact that neither H&K nor Kahr explicitly recommend against lead bullets in their polygonal rifled barrels, and feel that it is probable that there is an additional factor involved in Glock's warning. However, Kahr's FAQ does include a warning that lead bullets can cause additional fouling[7] and recommends special attention to cleaning after using them. In addition, while H&K doesn't warn against the use of lead, at least one well-documented catastrophic incident in an H&K pistol[8] may be related to this issue. Furthermore, Dave Spaulding, well-known gun writer, reported in the February/March 2008 issue of Handguns Magazine that when he queried H&K about their polygonally rifled barrels that they commented: "It has been their experience that polygonal rifling will foul with lead at a greater rate than will conventional rifling."
    One suggestion of what the "additional factor involved in Glock's warning" might be is that Glock barrels have a fairly sharp transition between the chamber and the rifling, and this area is prone to lead buildup if lead bullets are used. This buildup may result in failures to fully return to battery, allowing the gun to fire with the case not fully supported by the chamber, leading to a potentially dangerous case failure. However, since this sharp transition is found on most autopistols this speculation is of limited value. The sharp transition or "lip" at the front of the chamber is required to "headspace" the cartridge in most autopistols.
    Another possible explanation is that there are different "species" of polygonal rifle and perhaps Glock's peculiar style of polygonal rifling may be more prone to leading than the particular styles employed in the H&K and Kahr barrels.
    Leading is the buildup of lead in the bore that happens in nearly all firearms firing high velocity lead bullets. This lead buildup must be cleaned out regularly, or the barrel will gradually become constricted resulting in higher than normal discharge pressures. In the extreme case, increased discharge pressures can result in a catastrophic incident.

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

On the pint of Glocks fouling with lead.There ARE aftermarket non Glock made barrells that will work with cast lead bullets.Also, the non supported detonation of rounds with the slide out of battery as described by TS it seems[d] to be a problem with bigger than 9mm cal Glock pistols.40 S&W seems to be the main one.

knockon wrote: »
    SigPro2022_3.jpg

Well intresting pic that..German Federal nitro proof stamps on both barrel and slide[The symbol that looks like a old 50 p at this distance.But is actually an Eagle:)] Followed by the regional proof house[cant make it out] The testers initials[I think] and then just to make sure everyone knows its German the DE.

And then that it is a SIG from Exeter,New Hampshire.
    So the SIG USA plant is importing German uppers,and building the rest in NH.
    Intreeeessstingk!!:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement