Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pints of Kilkenny?

Options
  • 07-04-2011 6:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

anyone know where i can get a pint of killkenny on tap?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

A good few places I'd imagine. The Quays do it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Taafes(spelling?) too!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,159 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Garveys used to have it, many's the pint of it i had in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

THe King's Head do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

The King's Head do them, as mentioned. 'Tis just Smithwicks with a Guinness head, mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

The King's Head do them, as mentioned. 'Tis just Smithwicks with a Guinness head, mind.

That's a pint of 'special'. Totally different drink :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭soadtool

cool, cheers guys. but if i find out ye're lyin, so help me.....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

soadtool wrote: »
    anyone know where i can get a pint of killkenny on tap?

Usually the hotels have a Killkenny tap in Galway. Try Jurys at Spanish arch and the Meyrick on Eyre Square.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Neachtain's have it too.

That's a pint of 'special'. Totally different drink :-)

That's a Smithwicks with Guinness poured on top, isn't it? What I was referring to was the creamy nitrogen head on a Kilkenny, usually referred to as a "Guinness head".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

usually referred to as a "Guinness head".

Well thats news to me...?? And kilkenny tastes nothing like smithwicks, smithwicks is bland muck. Kilkenny for me is more like john smiths, one of the milder, smoother english beers.

benjamin d wrote: »
    Well thats news to me...?? And kilkenny tastes nothing like smithwicks, smithwicks is bland muck. Kilkenny for me is more like john smiths, one of the milder, smoother english beers.

Kilkenny is definitely stronger. I was down in Kilkenny city for a tour of the Smithwick's brewery. One of the guys on the tour asked about Kilkenny and the tour guide basically said, "It's a slightly stronger Smithwick's with a nitrogen head - brewed for tourist bars and export."

Not much of a fan of it myself. Not the worst but I'd stick with the Smithwick's or Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭mike o

Speaking of alcohol in Galway does anyone know where to find mead here? I'v been looking for a while with no luck.

Smithwicks is far superior to kilkenny and john smiths.

mike o wrote: »
    Speaking of alcohol in Galway does anyone know where to find mead here? I'v been looking for a while with no luck.

A friend of mine bought some in McCambridges :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jpomahony87

Where in Galway now can you get pints of Kilkenny on tap

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Kilkenny and smithwicks start life as the same high gravity beer and are then watered down to their respective %'s, Smithwicks to 3.8% and Kilkenny to 4.3% (ish).

Smithwicks is carbonated, Kilkenny is Nitrogenated.

If anything, Smithwicks has more flavour than Kilkenny "smooth" and "mild" generally mean a beer that is bland and tasteless (ala john smiths, tetley bitter, etc). Ntiro'd beers have less aroma and taste than carbonated beers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Where in Galway now can you get pints of Kilkenny on tap

The Kings Head, Monroes, Tig Coili and The Quays would the first places I'd check.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jpomahony87

Cheers

Advertisement