Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caring for 4 cats while I'm away for a week....any advice?

• 07-04-2011 7:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I'm going to be away for a week and have 4 cats...all rescues. I've always put them in a local cattery but one of them got seriously injured while in there last time and I'm not happy to leave them there again (he needed physio for 6 weeks....have you ever tried giving a cat physio!). They have their own cat flap and a neighbour will be coming in every day to feed and water them. I can't help feeling nervous about it....anyone have experience of this and can give me advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Hi Sburke

This is how I manage my two when i go away, my parents come and feed they each day and give them a few rubs. Seriously i believe that its much better than moving them to a cattery and upsetting them. Yes i do worry a bit but with a daily text report I relax. They should be fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

i think this could work if you can trust your neighbour to do this. would be better if she could come in twice a day, as they should be fed twice a day anyways.
    just i have known ppl thinking that friends/family/neighbours could be trusted with their pets and things didnt work out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭mariannewims

My neighbour comes to feed, water and make a fuss of my lad twice a day if I'm away. I considered a cattery originally but I think staying in his own home and being able to wander in and out through his catflap was a lot less disruptive than moving him somewhere new. And your guys have the advantage of having eachother for company too.
    If you trust your neighbour and your cats know him/her then I think it's a great alternative to the stress of a week in a cattery.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Sburke

Thanks for all your replies. My neighbour is an animal lover too and he has offered to come check on them etc. Have often paid over 400 € for a cattery but not after the last 2 experiences! They mean too much to me :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,522 ✭✭✭Heroditas

When we had two cats, the in-laws used to come and feed and water them once a day, pamper them and clean the tray.
    We now have three cats and over Christmas had to go away for a few days. We packed the three cats in their carriers and brought them to their other "granny" and left them there for three days.
    It didn't end well. They apparently sulked the whole time and were in very bad form for a few days.
    Best to leave them together in their own environment than moving them to another environment where there are potentially strangers. It'll just stress them out.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice :-) The cattery isn't good for them I've realised. One of them even escaped once and I was only told months later! A week isn't too long I hope. One of my cats is quite a home bird and can be very affectionate towards me...when she feels like it...so she's the only one I'll be worried about. The other 3 just use me as a waitress and hot water bottle :-)

I have 3 rescue cats and it always a worry leaving them but they are alway here when I get back. The most I have left them for is a week with my neighbour feeding them every day. I worry more in the Winter as they are all used to being inside when its cold but you're lucky its this time of the year as they prefer being out anyway plus the weather is good. One of mine is very independant and goes off visiting neighbours (I live on a country cul de sac) when I am away and gets fed everywhere!! The other 2 are mother and daughter and wouldn't know how to kill a mouse if their lives depended on it so they really need their daily visits. Cats are clever and will stay around the house they live in if somebody drops off the grub every day. I could live like that too!! Dont worry!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

I usually mind my sister's two cats when she is away. They are spoiled rotten and she gets often hourly updates on what they are up to. Enjoy your break, your kitties will be fine.

Thanks to you all for reassuring me! My neighbour will be calling in twice a day and a friend of mine who is a cat lover is going to make the journey to double check just in case :-) I'll be texting every day too. My only worry is that they'd go looking for us! One of them has a cat version of ADD...only joking really but he's a little dim so won't notice we're gone :-) Thanks again :-)

Advertisement