Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tag Clouds (Or whatever they are called)

Options
  • 07-04-2011 7:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

Most forums have recurring threads which are irritating for frequent users and often a waste of time for the poster.

Searching the forum is the usual suggestion but searching is a pain in the ass (generally, not on boards specifically) and often it's not easy to think of a keyword to accurately narrow the results.

Some tech websites have a cloud of tags identifying the most frequent topics discussed. This often allows me to see topics that I wouldn't have otherwise considered and filter by topics that interest me.

I noticed on the current search.boards.ie thread that searching by tag isn't implimented because tags aren't often utilised. I if it was made conpulsory to choose a tag or two on starting a thread (and some enforcement of sensible tags by moderators) I'm sure that could quickly change.

I don't know if vBulletin supports anything like this, and perhaps it has been discussed before but it seems like a useful feature to me.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

It's already there:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/tags.php

As said though, it suffers from underutilisation.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yes, this is something we are looking at for the medium term.... ie: how to get people quicker to content they want, and expose them to content they *probably* want.

Its a tricky issue and a trickier fix but we are beginning to actively think more about how to improve the site and its useability in that way. It wont be this month or next month though, its a lot of work and a long project.

DeV.

Advertisement