Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest Home Insurance

Options
  • 07-04-2011 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Anyone advise who is the cheapest for home insurance currently?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭evostik

I shopped around back in December.

123.ie turned out the cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭MadamX

Shopped around when renewing recently but couldn't beat the renewal quote I had from the AA. Having said that, shopped around for my Mam's and Quinn Direct were the cheapest for her circumstances. Seems each person may need to shop around for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Here's a few tips to save on home insurance.

1. Insure the rebuild value of the house - Not the mortgage balance. Rebuild of typical 4 bed semi in Dublin is about €150,000. Rebuild of 2000 sq ft detached house in rural setting is about €200,000.

2. If you have no history of claims and feel safe enough, increase the excess to €1000.

3. (this can knock €100 off) Again, if you're not prone to accidents, delete accidental damage cover.

4. Take a realistic view of your contents and their realistic current value. Replcement TVs, computers, hifi are a lot lower than they used to be. €40k contents cover should be more than enough for a standard family home.

Example - 4 bed detached, kildare, 40k contents, 300k rebuild, 5k jewellry all risks, 1k excess, no accidental cover. Total €367 with Zurich. - Others were within €20 - €60 of this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sedohre

You could try phoning Stuart Insurances Ph: 05391 59922 and get a quote see if their cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

I rang around last week, cheapest I got was AIB, continued with Zurich for the extra 20 though, just for the hassle. The others were 60+ off that, spent about 3 hours online going through everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Gallimh girl

Got renewal quote from 123.ie charging over €100 more than last year year! No claims ever, so what it the deal?! Anyone know of any competitve insurance companies out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I've been with FBD for 8 years or so. Every year I ring around 3 or 4 places, but no one can ever match them. When I say to them that I'm with FBD, they usually even say they can't match them. Pity I can't say the same for their car insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Got renewal quote from 123.ie charging over €100 more than last year year! No claims ever, so what it the deal?! Anyone know of any competitve insurance companies out there?

Home and motor insurance has increased substantially in the past 12 - 18 months. Not just here, but all over europe and especially in the UK where the increases have been huge.

As above, look at the sums you are insuring and see if you are over insured. e.g. the €2000 tv bought 5 years ago can now be replaced for €600, the €1500 computer from 2 years ago can be replaced for €700 etc.

Rebuild costs for a house is normally much lower than the house "value". Though a 1000sq ft terraced house in Dublin will cost more to rebuild than a 2000 sq ft bungalow in the countryside.

Also, if you don't think you'll be breaking stuff yourself, delete the accidental cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Vinny-Chase

AA were a good bit more this year for me. Shopped around Allianz website was much cheaper! AA wouldn't match the quote, so they were gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭culsoh

maxer68 wrote: »
    Rebuild costs for a house is normally much lower than the house "value". Though a 1000sq ft terraced house in Dublin will cost more to rebuild than a 2000 sq ft bungalow in the countryside.

Not in our case - we have a 3,000 sq.ft house. Rebuilt value (at €125 per sq ft) gives a rebuilt value of €375,000 when the Market Value would only be €230-250,000 and we built it for €180,000 :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,160 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Oral Slang wrote: »
    I've been with FBD for 8 years or so. Every year I ring around 3 or 4 places, but no one can ever match them. When I say to them that I'm with FBD, they usually even say they can't match them. Pity I can't say the same for their car insurance.
    +1 to the above.

I have had my buildings and contents cover with them for the last 15 years and they are consistently lower than other insurers I check out around the renewal date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Theo_Paphitis

Dont go to Quinn Direct. Cheap prices = Cheap service and really low payouts. They will go every length not to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

Quotedevil.ie would be a good one cheap and you can get a quote online no need to ring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭hondavfr

Dont go to Quinn Direct. Cheap prices = Cheap service and really low payouts. They will go every length not to pay.

Allianz are not much better, have a standard straight forward claim with them at the moment since xmas and not sign of any settlement yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Cheap insurance can work out every expensive when go to make a claim.

When purchasing house insurance you need to read the terms and conditions very carefully. You might get a very cheap quote but the excess on the policy when you go to claim might be extremely high.

One of the most common mistakes with house insurance is that people tend to insure their house for the market value instead of the rebuilding cost. Most insurance websites have a "rebuilding cost calculator" which will help you determine how much you need to insure your home for.

http://www.rsagroup.ie/RebuildingCalculator/RebuildCost.htm

Advertisement