Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delight closed?

Options
  • 07-04-2011 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭

Went to Delight on Abbeygate Street yesterday to get some food and it was closed, all the signs inside were gone and there was a to let sign stuck up outside.

I really hope it's just moved somewhere else, it's the best cafe in town.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Noooooooooo!

Say it ain't so:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

ya i spotted it yesterday and assumed people must have known it was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

What type of food did they serve there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

That's such a shame. Tho, I will say that they did themselves no favours by not accepting credit cards, even they had charged the clients the commission they had to pay the bank, people would still have paid it. They lost a **** load of corporate business as a result, as nobody likes to pay cash out of their own pocket and will just use somewhere that will take the company card, even if it's not as nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭billlumbergh

i spotted this last thursday, gutted, i really fancied hummus, pesto and roasted veg thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

Closed just over a week ago. There was a 'To Let' sign up on it for a good while.

In fairness, the munch was nice, but the prices were exorbitant considering what you can get elsewhere for less these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Tedole

Think they are keeping the one in the Kingfisher Renmore open. The food was fantastic, but when Gourmet Tart opened on Abbeygate Street and started selling equally wonderful sandwiches at cheaper prices, I think Delight took a hit. Owner Dave is travelling the world as well AFAIK, so that might have also been a reason behind the closure. His sister Paula was running the Kingfisher Renmore cafe, came in to run the one in town when he left, but is, I think, going back out to Kingfisher Renmore now

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Have to agree with emptybladder.

The food was nice, the staff were lovely, but I could never justify spending €9.50 for a sandwich when I could get a full meal in a pub at lunchtime for the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Passed it again at lunch and there's a sign on the door saying that branch had stopped trading:(

True, the prices were higher than average but I always thought the food was far superior to any other cafe in town and the staff were always extremely pleasant.

Going to miss it. Loved the No. 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

I always loved the Salmon, Chicken & Noodle salad they did. It was bliss. But they took that one off the menu last year and I didn't like the other stuff on the menu enough to warrant the price so I stopped going there.

Still, sad to see them go. It feels like all the 'special' places are closing, at this rate we'll all be eating McDonalds next year :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭harryd2

Talk of a German sausage shop going there in its' place

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

harryd2 wrote: »

I hear Irish sausage shops are all the rage in Germania these days

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

That could be awesome, if there prices were at German levels - I doubt that very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭harryd2

Mactard wrote: »
    That could be awesome, if there prices were at German levels - I doubt that very much.

Could be at German levels if overheads were at German levels.
    Sadly they're not. Insurance for example is crazy here due to the claim culture we have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Not the wurst idea that :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭dantbyhid

Tedole wrote: »
    The food was fantastic, but when Gourmet Tart opened on Abbeygate Street and started selling equally wonderful sandwiches at cheaper prices, I think Delight took a hit.

Agree. Gourmet Tart sandwiches totally blew them out of the water actually IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Not the wurst idea that :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

celty wrote: »
    €9.50 for a sandwich.

:eek: No wonder the owner is travelling the world, people have no time for daylight robbery in Ireland anymore.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Could be at German levels if overheads were at German levels.
    Sadly they're not. Insurance for example is crazy here due to the claim culture we have.

sigh, I know :(

Advertisement