Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty Watch.

• 07-04-2011 10:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28

Hi, I am just looking for advice. In October last I bought a €240 watch from a jewellery shop for my daughters graduation. At Christmas she told me that the little metal square surrounding the date on the face of the watch had come off. In January I brought the watch back to the jewellers along with the guarantee and receipt. My daughter mentioned that the mother of pearl face had a crack it it. They sent the watch back to the manufacturers and I went to collect it in February. My daughter pointed out to them that the face of the watch was still cracked and refused to take it back. The shop promised to send it back to mfg. Went yesterday to collect the watch and nothing had been done but it would cost me €125 to have the face of the watch replaced. I refused to take the watch back and that is were the matter lies for the moment.
    Am I responsible for replacing this face - the watch was worn 4 times only and had no falls.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭oneweb

I think you did the right thing by refusing to take it back unfixed. Make a note of the dates and times of any dealings with the jeweller, it'll come in very handy if you need to take the matter further.

I'd suggest contacting the Consumer Association of Ireland ,they've been very helpful in the past and will be able to tell you what you need to do and what you should expect by way of resolution.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 buddygit

Thanks for that - my hubby called yesterday and they were extremely rude.. so will contact the consumers association.

Mary

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

In my experience those mother of pearl faces were very prone to cracking. The other issue of the date surround is a very easy fix.

Stick to your guns. Small claims court is where you can go if you cant get a resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 thegreyman

just wondering if you got any resolution to this?
    there's no question you're entitled to a repair or replacement free of charge and most jewellers i know wouldn't hesitate, i'm suprised.

Advertisement